2018/2019 Grand Prix Final will be in Vancouver

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
I'd rather be dead in California then attending the Grand Prix Final in Vancouver!

-BB

Wow! I wonder what prompted this statement? I would rather be alive anywhere than dead in California or anywhere else. I am not impressed by what I read about that arena, but I don't think it deserves this, and Vancouver is a beautiful city. I have been there and would love to visit again.

Japanfan

I am not impressed by what I read about that arena, but I don't think it deserves this, and Vancouver is a beautiful city. I have been there and would love to visit again.

The arena is really okay aside from being out of the way. It's not that much different from other arenas, except for being smaller - because of which you have to time your bathroom breaks carefully (the same might be true of concessions, IDK).

OTOH, because it's smaller, it may mean less bad seats in the house.

I liked being able to drive to the arena and park nearby, as opposed to taking transit (which I've done for GM Place and the PNE).

Also, we found a few good restaurants for get-togethers on campus. In that respect the arena was better than the PNE (anyone remember the Chinese restaurant fiasco during the Olympics?).

And, even though the drive out to UBC can be long, it is also beautiful. UBC is located in a forested area known as the 'Endowment Lands' and driving through them (takes about 15 minutes) is lovely, especially on a sunny days. There are tons of beautiful walks and hikes in the area, as well.

Last edited:

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
Also, we found a few good restaurants for get-togethers on campus. In that respect the arena was better than the PNE (anyone remember the Chinese restaurant fiasco during the Olympics?).

Wasn't it during 4CCs? Small wonder that said restaurant is no longer there :rofl:

Japanfan

Wasn't it during 4CCs? Small wonder that said restaurant is no longer there :rofl:

Not sure, could have been (probably was because it was lunch, and IIRC, the Olympic skating events were later in the day).

Wasn't it called the ____ Castle?

Brenda_Bottems

Banned Member
“than”
If you are going to insult Vancouver, at least do it with correct grammar. :D

Touché.

Gary, Indiana, a safe and manly city near where I did my training before I was a service man for the U.S.A. armed services.

Gary? Or Gay?

Wow! I wonder what prompted this statement? I would rather be alive anywhere than dead in California or anywhere else. I am not impressed by what I read about that arena, but I don't think it deserves this, and Vancouver is a beautiful city. I have been there and would love to visit again.

Didn't mean to upset you,dear.

-BB

Last edited:

oleada

It’s a take on a joke from Arrested Development.

Lucill Bluth: well, I’d rather be dead in California than alive in Arizona.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/streamable.com/amp_player/u8cp

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
For Skate America in Everett, getting around should not be a problem, if you are staying close to the arena, and although I have never been to Everett, the town itself may be quite small. Boeing is there, so most of the population probably works there.
Very small city center, and most people live in the burbs. Many Boeing people live in Kent, which is south of Seattle, because Boeing's two major workplaces are north in Everett and south in Kent. It's a truism that if you work for Boeing in Everett and buy a house around Everett, they'll transfer you to Kent and vice versa. And it's a horrific commute, so bad they phase people's start times so that everyone isn't trying to get through Seattle on I-5 at the same time (and in both directions).

There was one incident with one rat.
There's never just one rat.

Skate Canada has often held major events in places that you would likely consider "isolated".
Skate Canada has often held major events in places with sparse and sucky transit and few hotels where there is transit. Vancouver, Vancouver, and Laval are not among these.

Among the Euros I've been to were in Malmo, Tallinn, and Helsinki. I had to take two buses from town center to get to the arena in Malmo, a long bus ride to get to city center from the arena in Tallinn, and a commuter train from the downtown Helsinki train station to the arena in the suburbs. I'm not complaining, because there was reliable transit and I was able to stay in a bustling city, but Thunderbird is, by no means, harder to get to from either of the Vancouver downtowns than anything I've been to in Europe except Goteborg, which was within walkable distance to downtown. PNE, where the Olympics were held, is only about 3-4K closer to downtown, and many people have been spooked even taking transit through the downtown Eastside to get there. GM Place was never going to happen again, even with Japanese fans willing to fly in for GPF. It's the Canucks arena and far too expensive. 2018 isn't seven years after The Whack.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Very small city center, and most people live in the burbs. Many Boeing people live in Kent, which is south of Seattle, because Boeing's two major workplaces are north in Everett and south in Kent. It's a truism that if you work for Boeing in Everett and buy a house around Everett, they'll transfer you to Kent and vice versa. And it's a horrific commute, so bad they phase people's start times so that everyone isn't trying to get through Seattle on I-5 at the same time (and in both directions).

There's never just one rat.

Skate Canada has often held major events in places with sparse and sucky transit and few hotels where there is transit. Vancouver, Vancouver, and Laval are not among these.

Among the Euros I've been to were in Malmo, Tallinn, and Helsinki. I had to take two buses from town center to get to the arena in Malmo, a long bus ride to get to city center from the arena in Tallinn, and a commuter train from the downtown Helsinki train station to the arena in the suburbs. I'm not complaining, because there was reliable transit and I was able to stay in a bustling city, but Thunderbird is, by no means, harder to get to from either of the Vancouver downtowns than anything I've been to in Europe except Goteborg, which was within walkable distance to downtown. PNE, where the Olympics were held, is only about 3-4K closer to downtown, and many people have been spooked even taking transit through the downtown Eastside to get there. GM Place was never going to happen again, even with Japanese fans willing to fly in for GPF. It's the Canucks arena and far too expensive. 2018 isn't seven years after The Whack.

Boeing is moving a lot of their groups, including engineering, to Mesa, AZ. I am sure those being moved will not have a reason to complain (but they just might- human nature :) ). Very affordable housing, easy commute, and 360 days of sunshine in a year.

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
Boeing is moving a lot of their groups, including engineering, to Mesa, AZ. I am sure those being moved will not have a reason to complain (but they just might- human nature :) ). Very affordable housing, easy commute, and 360 days of sunshine in a year.
I have many co-workers who have told their spouses that as soon as their kids have graduated from University of Washington or Western Washington or Evergreen -- instate tuition -- they will be out of the Pacific Northwest so fast to someplace sunny, there will be burn marks on the road.

I love the climate in Arizona :)

Japanfan

I was thinking about bying a ticket to go to Detroit or Vancouver or Anaheim for events in the next year/season but I think I will wait until either they go to: 1. Albuquerque, which is scary but it is near-by so I know what to get into and I can stop at the Walmart when I am there.

We've got Walmarts in Vancouver too. :)I live five minutes away from one, and am about 45 minutes away from UBC arena. But I'd expect you can find one closer to UBC.

And I've venture to guess there are some Walmarts in Detroit and Anaheim, as well. :):)

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
This is not Worlds, so probably not.

If you are willing to splurge: http://www.ctmstravel.com/grandprixvancouver/

Got a reply from CTMS today. As expected, the single supplement is very high (around $850). Ihad asked about the Sheraton package which is just $100 more than the Metro package, but they sent me info on the Metro, which is probably still a better hotel than the HI. On the plus side, the seats would be much better (and i could sell the ones i already have), and I will have transportation to/from the arena.

Even with the extra charge for the hotel, i would be paying just $200 more than what I would pay for the Holiday Inn and the better hotel (I would have preferred the Sheraton) That is another positive.

The negatives are (in addition to the single supplement) -

1)Airport to hotel transportation $325 (outrageous, considering there will be just two trips). On expedia one can get a shared ride for about $18 each way. So why would I pay $325? They probably use a limo, but still...

I was told there would be a commentary on the places we pass by). I dont know if they would let me drop this portion.

2)hotel to arena transportation $200 total, for 5 days. Not too bad but it means $20 each way per day. I would be paying for the convenience (as against taking the bus and paying far less)

3) They charge 4.5 percent extra for credit card payment. I find this the most outrageous, and unjustifiable. They do allow a money order though.

So whichever way I go, it will be a substantial expense (around $2000 with the HI option and around $2500 with the tour /package option).

Expedia has very good round trip fares and schedules from Phx to Vancouver, but the hotels are going to be killers. I don't want the AirBnB. So right now i am not sure that I want to spend so much to go to the GPF, even if I cancel the SA. The attraction for SA is - visiting family members.

I am going to think about this for a few days before making a decision. If i do buy their package, i would rather buy the one with better seats (Sec 105, Row 8). However, it means many of us could not find good seats because these tours had snapped them up. In a small arena that would make a big difference.

Last edited:

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
There is a Cambie Lodge B&B about 5.7 mi. From the arena. Is anyone familiar with this? It sounds affordable compared with the HI. Not sure what the bus situation will be. Their address is 446 w. 13th Ave, Vancouver VSY1W5.

There is Alma Beach in Kitsilano, about 3-4 mi. From the arena. Again, it depends on bus routes. May be there is a map showing the bus routes and schedules?

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
There is a Cambie Lodge B&B about 5.7 mi. From the arena. Is anyone familiar with this? It sounds affordable compared with the HI. Not sure what the bus situation will be. Their address is 446 w. 13th Ave, Vancouver VSY1W5.

There is Alma Beach in Kitsilano, about 3-4 mi. From the arena. Again, it depends on bus routes. May be there is a map showing the bus routes and schedules?

@Vash01 Google is your friend. There are several sites that will show you bus routes, bus schedules, and the locations of the bus stops.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
@Vash01 Google is your friend. There are several sites that will show you bus routes, bus schedules, and the locations of the bus stops.

I saw the Vancouver bus website but when I entered the address it didn't recognize it. It didn't recognize the arena name either. I am too busy right now to try again.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
I saw the Vancouver bus website but when I entered the address it didn't recognize it. It didnt recignize the arena name either. I am too busy right now to try again.

Google Maps will show you the nearest bus stop, which you can then use to find the schedule for the route that services the stop.

ximianKernel

Your Lodge is located close to the corner of 13 avenue and Cambie Street. 4 blocks North (on Cambie) is the station for the Canada line that goes to the Airport (and downtown Vancouver). The same corner is where you get the 99 Express that goes to UBC. 3 blocks South (from your lodge) along Cambie on 16th Ave, is another bus (bus route# 33) that also goes to UBC. The bus stop for the 33 UBC at 16ave and Cambie street is obviously the shorter walk (Google says about a 5 minute walk).

If you building a transit itinerary, use their other tripplanner instead of the "condensed" one on the Translink homepage, it works better

https://tripplanning.translink.ca/

Last edited:

Japanfan

Your Lodge is located close to the corner of 13 avenue and Cambie Street. 4 blocks North (on Cambie) is the station for the Canada line that goes to the Airport (and downtown Vancouver). The same corner is where you get the 99 Express that goes to UBC. 3 blocks South (from your lodge) along Cambie on 16th Ave, is another bus (bus route# 33) that also goes to UBC. The bus stop for the 33 UBC at 16ave and Cambie street is obviously the shorter walk (Google says about a 5 minute walk).
https://tripplanning.translink.ca/

The Alma Beach hotel might be lovely if it is near the beach, but I'd check how much extra time it would add to your trips to and from UBC. I'm not sure you can get a bus direct to UBC from there. You might have to take two buses, or walk for 15 minutes to where you get the bus to UBC. This might be a consideration - the weather can be dreadful here in December.

The Cambie Lodge might be the better choice, especially given that it's also affordable.

If i do buy their package, i would rather buy the one with better seats (Sec 105, Row 8). However, it means many of us could not find good seats because these tours had snapped them up. In a small arena that would make a big difference.

Many of us who bought individually did get good seats. I got Row 8 and I didn't buy the tickets until 4:30 pm Pacific Time the day they went on sale. Of course the general public wouldn't have known about the sale that day, but there would still have been some good seats left. And then are people who don't want to pay top dollar and settle for the bleachers (though I'd rather stay home if that that was my only option).

Last edited:

maatTheViking

Roxaaannnneeee!!!
@Vash01 sorry quote didnt work for me.

The Radission is fairly close but not that close. It is not in the downtown tourist area. I didn't see any hotels close to arena, maybe because I was booking more than a year ahead, and some hotels don't do that.

Since I live in WA I plan to drive up, so being close to the arena is not top priority - ill pay for what parking they want. I also feel pretty comfortable in Vancouver, it is close enough to feel familiar. I have several friends in the area I might visit too.

colton12314

ok folks. i went to college 500m away from the ubc arena, and it's a safe place. you're not going to get robbed or shanked. it's vancouver. now as for buses I wouldn't take the 99, there are plenty of others that aren't completely full at peak hours. however, i would actually suggest using car2go to get to the rink. they're a carshare service with a presence in lots of us cities and parts of europe, i think. ubc has a few dedicated lots with free parking for those cars, so it's a pretty easy process since we live in the 20th century and don't have uber. straightforward process as long as you have a valid (full) driver's license.

now i'm off to try and snag a room at the sheraton wall center and "run" in to all the athletes :)

UMBS Go Blue

Слава Україні!
Sorry if this has been addressed anywhere else on this thread or on this board - but is GPF/Skate Canada planning to sell or release single-session or single-day tickets at any point?

Thanks in advance for any insight. :40beers:

pat c

Sorry if this has been addressed anywhere else on this thread or on this board - but is GPF/Skate Canada planning to sell or release single-session or single-day tickets at any point?

Thanks in advance for any insight. :40beers:

https://www1.ticketmaster.ca/event/1100542BBE9E6350?did=firstaccess

That's the last info I got, which was a couple of days ago. I thought that was maybe single tix but it looks to be all event. It will probably be closer to the event for single tix.

Jayar

ok folks. i went to college 500m away from the ubc arena, and it's a safe place. you're not going to get robbed or shanked. it's vancouver. now as for buses I wouldn't take the 99, there are plenty of others that aren't completely full at peak hours. however, i would actually suggest using car2go to get to the rink. they're a carshare service with a presence in lots of us cities and parts of europe, i think. ubc has a few dedicated lots with free parking for those cars, so it's a pretty easy process since we live in the 20th century and don't have uber. straightforward process as long as you have a valid (full) driver's license.

now i'm off to try and snag a room at the sheraton wall center and "run" in to all the athletes :)

Didn't somebody get stabbed in Vancouver during a skating event, and the stabber hid in the bathroom of the official hotel? Or was that Skate Canada in Victoria?

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
"No one ever gets raped in Kansas City. No one ever gets mugged in East St. Lou(is). Only right here, in New York City, could anything ever happen to you..."

Jeanne7

I know Vancouver & UBC campus extremely well (Alumna). I attended the 2018 Canadian Championships at the same Arena in January. There is a parkade steps away and several buses (including #33 along 16th Ave) that stop in front of the Arena. The bus loop where the #99 express stops is 10+ minutes walk away. Yes, there are Car2go parking banks scattered all over UBC, cabs are also an option. I talked to people who found rooms to rent on campus during Canadians so they could just walk to Thunderbird Arena. Message me personally if you want questions answered.

victorskid

Happily ignoring ultracrepidarians (& trolls)!
Has the schedule been announced? I need to start looking for flights as if I wait too long the price will keep going up.
I think the schedule for the Jr. & Sr. GPF is fairly consistent from year to year from Thursday through Sunday.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information