2018/2019 Grand Prix Final will be in Vancouver

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
I'm not too worried about encountering Ben, but after seeing the comments about ThunderRat Arena having uncomfortable seats and no leg room , I won't be buying an all-event ticket. I might be able to survive one or two individual events but no way am I enduring that for an entire competition.

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
Same section as for Canadians, same seat one row closer: Section 108 (corner!) Row 12.

Wheeeeee! What a happy surprise to find the presale announcement in my inbox :)

I won't be buying an all-event ticket. I might be able to survive one or two individual events but no way am I enduring that for an entire competition.
It's not a big arena, and it could sell out. It's a direct trip from Japan to Vancouver and a big tourist destination from Japan.

TanithandBenFan

Author of the Ice and Edge Series
I'm not too worried about encountering Ben, but after seeing the comments about ThunderRat Arena having uncomfortable seats and no leg room , I won't be buying an all-event ticket. I might be able to survive one or two individual events but no way am I enduring that for an entire competition.

GPF is much easier to endure than nationals since there are only six skaters in each event. Doesn't require sitting for long periods at one time :)

cygnus

The leg room is better than the Pacific Coliseum, which was especially bad. And much better than the Moscow arena for Worlds 2005.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
The leg room is better than the Pacific Coliseum, which was especially bad. And much better than the Moscow arena for Worlds 2005.

I've always been comfortable in the Coliseum, but I wasn't too impressed with the legroom I saw in the photos. I'll take my chances on getting one or two tickets for individual events.

Alilou

Ubercavorter
There's as much leg room as any other arena I've been to. Bring a cushion. I brought in a big fat cushion, stuffed into a zip-up tote bag, every day. I didn't even need to take it out of the bag. It made the seat perfectly comfortable.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
There's as much leg room as any other arena I've been to. Bring a cushion. I brought in a big fat cushion, stuffed into a zip-up tote bag, every day. I didn't even need to take it out of the bag. It made the seat perfectly comfortable.

If the tickets were less $$$ I could deal with the leg room question, but at those prices I expect something more than average arena leg room (which is not comfortable for someone my height).

Japanfan

Wow. I didn't read this until about 4 pm PST and so many seats were gone already. But I got Section 110 Row 8, and we were were in the same section Row 6 for Nationals, and it was actually fine.

Kind of crazy to be selling tickets for a December event in January, though.

Willin

Depending on the job situation, I might try to go. It's a good excuse to finally go to Canada!

victorskid

Happily ignoring ultracrepidarians (& trolls)!
I expect to be there too but my tickets will be with my group, as they were for Nationals. It's interesting that this time they are making the first 5 rows as premium seating - that's more than it was for Nationals. I was sitting in Row 6 and was perfectly happy - there was plenty of leg room for me (I have short legs) and people were able to get past me without me having to stand up. I was there virtually all week and didn't have the pleasure of meeting Ben or any of his/her mates.

It will be great to see some of you again :)

my little pony

polishing Madison Hubbell's OGM
what's the format if it is spread out over 4 days, not sure i can get the days off at the end of the year

Lanie

the uberdom chooses YOU
I hope tickets are available closer to the GPF 'cause I really would love to go! If we're still in California at that point, anyway.

Japanfan

Rats and the reported lack of bathrooms - longer than a usual arena wait.

Calm down folks. Only ONE rat was sighted, and that was during the earlier events.

ETA: Sorry it appears I was wrong. It was posted elsewhere (forget to get the poster's name) that "I had a vendor booth set up all week in Vancouver and heard all about the rats from lots of people, however I did not personally see a rat, despite being there for the entirety of the competition. I did see them chasing the rat around the stands during Matthew Markell's long program and I was somewhat reliably informed that (sadly, to some) said rat had died at the hands of a shovel (which makes me cringe despite the fact that I don't like rats nor do I like the idea of them running around the rink). I was also informed that there were exterminators in the first few nights of Nationals to make sure that there would be no rats around the next day.".

In any case, exterminators were called and I'm sure they will be called in prior to GPF if there is a need for it.

The bathroom line-ups were a drag, but one can strategically time one's trips to the bathroom. I'll avoid going in breaks between flights and instead go during the performance of a skater I am willing to miss. At the gala I headed to the washroom while the group was finishing up its routine, and didn't have to wait long. When I exited the WC, the line up had increased X ten - this happened in about two minutes! There was even a line-up for the men's.

When I've used this strategy at other competitions, there have been no line-ups during performances. Given the smaller size of the arena, I'd expect there's a short line-up at the washrooms even during non-busy times.

Unless I had a medical condition that required me to have immediate access to the washroom at all times, I wouldn't let the bathroom situation at Thunderbird prevent me from attending the GPF.

I haven't been to an international event since the Olympics and traveling to competitions is difficult due to my work situation as a self-employed person.Much as I'd love to go to the 2020 Worlds in Montreal, I doubt it will work out for me (though I'm going to try at least). So I'm super stoked about GPF. Especially given that it's a new quad and junior and senior skaters will be vying to position themselves as top ranking contenders for the next OG.

Last edited:

chantilly

If you bolt for the bathroom right before the last skater leaves the ice, ie during their bows, the line ups won’t be as bad. They also canceled a men’s bathroom mid week. Guessing they will do the same here again. But I think bathroom lineups are pretty common in arenas at intermissions.

Never saw one rat, but know in Vancouver they are a huge issue especially close to the water with ships etc. It doesn’t really bother me to be honest.

The leg room is fine. Seats are just ok, but not brutal.

Bring a cushion and you should be fine.

The parking pass was $30 for 4 days and pretty worth it.

Buses might be a good idea, but they had line ups too.

The food wasn’t great although they started to add healthier options later in the week.

Anyway. It’ll be a miss for me this time around.

If it heads back to Ottawa or Toronto I might go as I have a place to stay both places.

Anyway GP final is only 6 per discipline, doubt the issues will be as prevalent as Canadians

cygnus

If the tickets were less $$$ I could deal with the leg room question, but at those prices I expect something more than average arena leg room (which is not comfortable for someone my height).

The tickets are pretty much in line with every other skating event I've been to (apart from Worlds)- about the same as Quebec GPF, (a worse arena), Skate Canadas in various locations, and Nationals.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information