2018-2019 Canadian Ladies News and Updates!

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
They can submit anyone they want, as long as they are age-eligible, which is determined by July 1 of the current season, with some edge cases about timing with changing members. Skaters without minimums and any other requirements have been marked as provisional on the entries list in the past. Austman could be listed as a participant without having earned the minimums.

They can change from sub status to participant status until close to the start of the competition, and they have to earn the TES minimums 21 days before the start, IIRC, by the team leaders meeting. Scores earned at Cup of would qualify.

Whether or not she's chosen, aside from being a dumb move to not have eligible subs, sending her now, while she's on a bit of a roll, is better than waiting for her to start from scratch at the beginning of next season with needing to earn the minimum hanging over her head.

Zazy

So my assumption for the world team is Chartrand, Cotop, and Daleman, if Daleman declines then would Mallet get the spot? Geez only 2 years ago there were 2 Canadian women on the world podium :wideeyes:

Skate Canada has had a problem with lack of depth for years, which was masked by having one or two great talents in each discipline. Now they've retired, for the most part, and it's going to be rough few years. They're very lucky Keegan decided to skate for Canada, otherwise there would be no single skaters with a realistic shot at top 10 in the world.

Colonel Green

Skate Canada has had a problem with lack of depth for years, which was masked by having one or two great talents in each discipline. Now they've retired, for the most part, and it's going to be rough few years. They're very lucky Keegan decided to skate for Canada, otherwise there would be no single skaters with a realistic shot at top 10 in the world.
No country has more than a couple of "great talents" at any one time.

The ladies field in Canada is certainly weaker than the others, both presently and historically, but any country would have issues if their #1 decided to sit out the season and the #2 had sudden, major health problems.

chantilly

Nor Russia or Japan really. They’d both be able to send at least 2 skaters likely to finish top ten and potentially the podium

But yeah on pretty much everywhere else.

It’s really rotten timing for Canada what’s happening in Ladies.

Jammers

So my assumption for the world team is Chartrand, Cotop, and Daleman, if Daleman declines then would Mallet get the spot? Geez only 2 years ago there were 2 Canadian women on the world podium :wideeyes:
That was a bit of fluke to be honest. Lots of skaters imploded for Gabby to make the podium and she's never really been even a top 5 skater in any season before or since. She's looking more and more like one of those skaters who made the world podium once but who never won a lot of competitions or medals but just had everything come together at the right time but never got back there again.

Colonel Green

That was a bit of fluke to be honest. Lots of skaters imploded for Gabby to make the podium and she's never really been even a top 5 skater in any season before or since.
I think "fluke" is unfair to Gabrielle. 2016-17 was her real breakout season, mainly the second half, where she medalled at Four Continents and then Worlds. The season-and-a-half since then has just been one health-related setback after another that prevented her from building on that.

Zazy

The ladies field in Canada is certainly weaker than the others, both presently and historically, but any country would have issues if their #1 decided to sit out the season and the #2 had sudden, major health problems.

Russia, Japan and the US have had way more depth for years, that much is obvious. Historically, those are the countries that Canada would be compared to. And I'll be very surprised if Kaetlyn comes back, Ted Barton kept referring to her in the past tense at nationals and Tracy's commentary seemed to indicate retirement as well.

The US 'lost' Wagner and Gold in recent years and if Bradie got injured or something there would still be a number of skaters who could be expected to place decently, Russia keeps having great talent retire but they're constantly replaced by new girls, and Japan has a wealth of talent. Ultimately Canada's lack of depth hasn't hurt its medal count so maybe it doesn't matter but it does mean that when they lose their top skaters they're left with quite a weak team and the real possibility of going down to 1 spot in ladies.

Weak year or not, I still love a number of the skaters, and a lot of them are quite young and will improve. Basically I'm wondering what Skate Canada could do to improve its depth, especially among the women. Maybe send out more skaters to international assignments?

Last edited:

Colonel Green

Basically I'm wondering what Skate Canada could do to improve its depth, especially among the women. Maybe send out more skaters to international assignments?
Canada doesn't have a depth issue in men's or dance, though in the former discipline there's a bunch of relatively raw talent that's still being developed. Pairs is at a bit of a low ebb at the moment after all the retirements and splits; we'll have to see how some new teams and potential new teams develop.

As far as ladies go, while international experience is important for development, you have a rise to a certain level before you get to that point. Being sent to a Challenger isn't suddenly going to get you a triple-triple combination, which is a prerequisite for major international competitiveness that most of the current crop of seniors/juniors struggle to obtain.

It would be nice if Alison does well enough at Junior Worlds to help us get more JGP slots next season, but we'll see how that goes.

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
I don't see that at all. For years, the Soviet Union could replace Pairs and Dance teams and have the newer ones debut with high placements. For years, the US was a factory of Ladies who could replace the outgoing champions. Currently the Japan and Russia have depth in Ladies and the US in Ice Dance. The Japanese Men also have had depth by having at least four strong Men vie for three spots, although no one at this time is shining in the third and fourth spot?

That doesn't mean that there can be anomalies like going down to two spots at the worst possible time, but when was the last time that Canada had three singles who might sweep 4C's the way Russian Ladies can be bet upon to be top three or four at Euros or Japanese Ladies can be bet upon to sweep 4C's, even if that doesn't come to pass?

IloveFS

That was a bit of fluke to be honest. Lots of skaters imploded for Gabby to make the podium and she's never really been even a top 5 skater in any season before or since. She's looking more and more like one of those skaters who made the world podium once but who never won a lot of competitions or medals but just had everything come together at the right time but never got back there again.
I actually think a healthy Daleman will have ALL of the ingredients to be a contender for a gold medal!!! Give her a chance to get healthy - emotionally!!!

MIsty Blades/Skate Mom

Banned Member
Due date? I didn't know she was expecting! Congratulations to Larkyn Austman on her blessed arrival! It's great to see mothers in skating. I'm sure she'll be a fine example for mothers around the world who want to pursue skating!

It's a good idea to send Austman now, whether or not the due date is past. She was close enough to the minimum score to almost earn it at 4CCs. She could do so now for next season.

MIsty Blades/Skate Mom

Banned Member
I felt so bad for Daleman at the Olympics when her big break didn't happen.
I remember when I was a high school gymnast, in my senior year, I was unexpectedly in the lead for the league championship. However, my last event was beam which was always tough for me. My routine went great, but I fell on a simple dismount.
I went from first to 13th. I was devastated. I had a meltdown where I cried uncontrollably, threw up etc.. I couldn't stop crying all night and I was out of school for a week. My mom took me to a doctor and a psychiatrist. I was on meds for a few months until I started college.
I hope Gabby gets the help for her to recover from that setback. It can be very difficult and without the drugs and doctors, I probably wouldn't have recovered.
I didn't do artistic gymnastics in college, because I went to a school with a Div I NCAA women's team. I was probably good enough for something low like Div 69 or something like that. I found another type of "gymnastics" to replace my athletic pursuits.

I think "fluke" is unfair to Gabrielle. 2016-17 was her real breakout season, mainly the second half, where she medalled at Four Continents and then Worlds. The season-and-a-half since then has just been one health-related setback after another that prevented her from building on that.

Marco

Gabby also skated great at the Olympic team event and helped secure the team gold for Canada. PC Olympics wasn't a total disaster for her. Also, given how the individual event went about, I doubt she could place higher than 4th no matter how well she skated.

carriecmu0503

Due date? I didn't know she was expecting! Congratulations to Larkyn Austman on her blessed arrival! It's great to see mothers in skating. I'm sure she'll be a fine example for mothers around the world who want to pursue skating!

????? Larkyn is definitely not pregnant. They were talking about the due date to get the minimum scores to compete at the world championships.

Foolhardy Ham Lint

I'll be very curious to see if Canada qualifies for the World Team Trophy in April, too.

The usual powerhouse countries such as Russia, USA, Japan, France, and China should be there. Italy or South Korea may fight Canada for that last spot.

haribobo

Why is summer so hot omg
South Korea has very low ranked pairs and ice dance teams this season, like they aren't even sending anyone to Junior Worlds in pairs or dance. China doesn't even have a 2nd lady on the seasons world rankings this year. Canada is not in danger of missing out.

A very unofficial calculation of current points-

RUS 7650
USA 6300
JPN 6160
FRA 5780
ITA 5100
CAN 5000
CHN 3710

Last edited:

haribobo

Why is summer so hot omg
pretty sure she edits those photos, for what its worth. There is no commentary beyond that I could say which would not be misconstrued...

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information