2018-2019 Canadian Ladies News and Updates!

Foolhardy Ham Lint

I know you probably said that in jest, but Duhamel has a lutz, toe, salchow and double axel - even with those four jumps alone, she could literally come back and win this year's title! Can you imagine? Should we start the campaign? :)

For a couple of seasons, Meaghan and Eric did side by side triple flips as well.

IloveFS

It's okay if Canada goes down a spot in pairs and ladies. It just means that it's a year or two of re-building. There will be new superstars to emerge and I cannot wait to see their journey begin next month at Nationals!

Clearly, everyone thought we had issues in men's skating and Stephen Gogolev burst onto the scene this year with very promising results!

Foolhardy Ham Lint

Without Kaetlyn and Gabby, it is likely that Canadian ladies do not go down one spot but go down TO one spot.

Agreed. The top eighteen in Saitama will be pretty crowded. I am anticipating three from Russia and Japan, two from the USA, and one each from Italy, Belgium, Korea, Kazakhstan, Finland, France, Germany, Switzerland, the Czech Republic, and Australia.

haribobo

Why is summer so hot omg
and one each from Italy...Germany....the Czech Republic

If Kostner skates...if Schott or Weinzierl are in form...maybe Brezinova but her scores at 4Nationals were not great.

I would say also do not forget HKG (YCLeung 177 SB), AZE- Ryabova (171 SB), POL-Kurakova (178 at Nationals), SWE- Algotsson (169 at Nationals), BUL- Feigin (165 at Nationals), and maybe even SPN and EST.

That said, Larkyn is competitive with some of these also...not sure how Cotop, Schumacher, Tamura, Long, Chartrand, Pineault, Mallet, or Daleman will be looking at Nationals and potentially Worlds though...

Last edited:

IloveFS

If Kostner skates...if Schott or Weinzierl are in form...maybe Brezinova but her scores at 4Nationals were not great.

I would say also do not forget HKG (YCLeung 177 SB), AZE- Ryabova (171 SB), POL-Kurakova (178 at Nationals), SWE- Algotsson (169 at Nationals), BUL- Feigin (165 at Nationals), and maybe even SPN and EST.

That said, Larkyn is competitive with some of these also...not sure how Cotop, Schumacher, Tamura, Long, Chartrand, Pineault, Mallet, or Daleman will be looking at Nationals and potentially Worlds though...

I disagree with your statement about Larkyn Austman being competitive.. She failed to qualify for the free program at both the Olympics and Worlds...... She's just not showing an upward trajectory even without pressure on her! If Chartrand works with a sports psychologist, I think that she can compete with the best in the world. The future (without a doubt in my opinion) is with Schumacher and Cotop. I hope that Mallet and Daleman are able to compete when they are ready!

haribobo

Why is summer so hot omg
It's hard to show upward trajectory when you've been injured and had to pull put of your internationals. But her sectionals and challenge skates have been quite good, and better than the showings from GER, CZE, and SWE ladies for sure.

Last edited:

wickedwitch

It's hard to show upward trajectory when you've been injured and had to pull put of your internationals. But her sectionals and challenge skates have been quite good, and better than the showings from GER, CZE, and SWE ladies for sure.
But those women have international reputations, which Austman doesn't. If it's close, that could have an impact.

Colonel Green

But those women have international reputations, which Austman doesn't. If it's close, that could have an impact.
Conversely, Austman would be representing one of the “big” countries, and we know that counts a fair amount (not that it should in a perfect world, but that’s how the scoring system actually works).

Larkyn I think is a very striking presence as a performer. If her tech is decent, she would score reasonably well.

IloveFS

I thought Austman's score at the Challenge event was extremely inflated based on her actual performance. But, her speed was amazing!!!

chantilly

I honestly have zero issues if we go down to one spot.
If we don’t earn it that’s that. And without Katelyn or Gabby we don’t stand much of a chance.

And sadly to say I think Katelyn should seriously consider calling it quits unless she plans on upping the technical ante or figuring out her consistency.

With up and comers and current skaters doing quads and triple axels while delivering cohesive programs she has a big challenge coming back.

And let’s face an Olympic gold and world gold medal is a great way to go out.

I’m fine to let the remaining women duke it out for that one spot. Maybe it’ll create an energy to push for more.

Foolhardy Ham Lint

I think Katelyn should seriously consider calling it quits unless she plans on upping the technical ante or figuring out her consistency.

With up and comers and current skaters doing quads and triple axels while delivering cohesive programs she has a big challenge coming back.

And let’s face an Olympic gold and world gold medal is a great way to go out.

I wonder how much continuing in 2003, and sort of winging it at the national and world championships, hurt Sarah Hughes Olympic Gold.

Cleo1782

I wonder how much continuing in 2003, and sort of winging it at the national and world championships, hurt Sarah Hughes Olympic Gold.

Not much? I forgot she continued and I attended the 2003 nationals. Her win was always a 'fluke' of a great skate at the perfect time. I don't think anyone holds her Olympic win in that high of a regard. Katelyn's career feels longer and more fully realized.

Colonel Green

Even a conservative skate from Gabby in this field should be enough to make the world team. Here's hoping it isn't demanding too much from herself too soon, though.
Gabby could bomb and still be on the team. They wouldn’t not send her if she wanted to go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information