2017-2018 Program Music and Choreographers

jenny12

Karen Chen
SP El tango de Roxanne
LP Carmen
(chor. Mark Pillay)
http://figureskatersonline.com/karen...lympic-season/

Disappointing choices from Karen. Both are such cliches in skating and the tones of the programs seem like they would be very similar. I wouldn't have minded a warhorse from Karen if it were Rachmaninov but this just seems lazy. I even would have preferred she stick with Tosca, her original choice.

VGThuy

I'm so disappointed in Karen's choices. I feel like she's such an artist that I don't like she's doing programs set to music so many have done before and so similar in tone and style. Plus, I didn't like her LP that much this past season but it seems she's continuing in that track. I should trust she's stepping it up and will make the programs worth watching but I wanted something else.

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
Karen Chen
SP El tango de Roxanne
LP Carmen
(chor. Mark Pillay)
http://figureskatersonline.com/karen...lympic-season/

2 warhorses???? OK, well skate the heck outta them then.

Im surprised no one on her team says, well you're doing one warhorse how about something original for the other program. In fact Id probably fire my coach/team if they didn't say that to me. Just me tho. I need to be challenged especially in an Oly year. Also surprised that theres not much versatility among her choices. They are a bit similar.

Do we know what Mariah and Polina are doing yet?

So far among US ladies Im most curious about Gracie, Amber and then Mirai's LP. (Internationally so far Im most interested in the Canadian dynamos and Leuna).

Last edited:

chapis

I'm trying to be positive and to think they're good choices, but I can not, I really expected more from her. On the other hand she makes it very clear that it was her choices, not her coaches, many people complain that Mirai and Gracie do not choose their music (about Gracie, I do not know where they get that, I think she did not say who chose them). It is clear to me that there are many skaters who do not watch enough figure skating, it is as if they had heard it once and never again looked at a figure skating competition, otherwise I do not explain myself why it does not give them the tiredness or at least the shame of choosing a piece that has been used a million times. Well, at least is not R&J.

There is something positive, it is an opportunity to introduce good music to more public, believe it or not, there are people who have never heard Carmen :duh:.

Last edited:

VGThuy

I would have preferred if she did Bolero from Moulin Rouge. I think it would have been more creative as I can already imagine what the Tango de Roxanne choreography will look like.

GullyGirl84

For some reason, I thought there were parts of Carmen interspersed in her Godfather Suite program, but I guess I'm wrong (haven't watched it in a while).

clairecloutier

I don't think I've ever seen so many "safe" music choices as I have this season. I know it's the Olympic year but still. Karen continues the trend. The programs may wind up being very good, but original? Probably not. It's too bad because I was just thinking this morning how the safeness/blandness of Osmond's choices could've opened the door a bit for Karen or others to shine artistically ....

Who would've thought that Gracie would have the most unusual selections among u.s. ladies so far??

Still, Karen is a good performer and I'm sure she can sell the programs, even if they're not particularly original.

chapis

omg, I am so angry about this, I don´t know why, ladies is not even my favorite discipline, I guess it was the straw that broke the camel's back :wuzrobbed:wuzrobbed:wuzrobbed

alchemy void

Post-its for the win.
oh my, someone better check @alchemy void 's pulse? :D

love the FS choice; not sure, if 'frozen' can work in figure skating, we will see.

Hell yes, now THIS is a music choice! :kickass:

Loena had such a great season last year, and with this new SP choice, she is one her way to first-tier OES status!

The instagram clip was very promising, the footwork looked good, and I'm very happy the music cut goes from instrumental right to a Frozen remix. :respec:

Since I'm such a Madonna fan, I love that a Belgian skater chose "Frozen" considering that near-decade long court case that banned the song from being played on Belgian television and radio that was ultimately resolved in Madonna's favor with the song subsequently unbanned.

Props on the encyclopedic Madge knowledge! Very impressive. :respec: I totally forgot about that.

Tinami Amori

Karen Chen
SP El tango de Roxanne
LP Carmen
for me the problem is not that it is overused. "Carmen" was overused even when Witt and Thomas skated. But they were in top 3, big names, and it became a great gimmick - "battle of Carmens". Chen is not yet "top 3", and she is risking getting lost among lower ranking ladies from obscure countries who many also skate to "Carmen". She needs a gimmick, something to set herself apart, or she may be judges "with that other bunch".

VGThuy

for me the problem is not that it is overused. "Carmen" was overused even when Witt and Thomas skated. But they were in top 3, big names, and it became a great gimmick - "battle of Carmens". Chen is not yet "top 3", and she is risking getting lost among lower ranking ladies from obscure countries who many also skate to "Carmen". She needs a gimmick, something to set herself apart, or she may be judges "with that other bunch".

She needs something like her "On Golden Pond" SP or ANY of her exhibitions. Her adapting her Butterfly Lovers or House of Flying Daggers exhibition into a LP would have been heaven for me.

Karpenko

Not Impressed.
Bet Ashley's La La Land is starting to look a little better to some. ;) Whether you like the music or you don't, at least no one can say she picked a stale old warhorse!

It's starting to feel like a Kwan program circa 96-99.

I'm also disappointed in Karen's similar styles for the SP and LP, she has so much range as an artist and you'd never even know with this (and I prefer beautiful Karen to fiery Karen). Although if she's consistent this season and makes the GPF, I could care less what she's skating to. She does have the talent to pull off Carmen, I mean Osmond is doing Black Swan... we do potentially have worse to sit through this season. :shuffle:

I also agree with others and wish she'd keep last years SP, that would compliment Carmen really well. She's doing too many tango's for my liking.

peibeck

Simply looking
I love Karen and I like both of those pieces of music (however overused). I don't think it's an amazing pairing though and considering she just did a tango last season I was hoping for something more. I also hoped she'd work with Jonathan Cassar again.

Not sure how they will turn out, but props to Gracie for picking two pieces that are so totally opposite of each other and neither of which I would have expected.

Bellanca

If these ladies are happy and comfortable with their music and it helps them to relax and skate better, then that is all we could possibly hope and ask for.

Most of the music picks or pieces that have been mentioned, the judges are used to, and maybe that is why they were chosen ;) However, I am not sure how Streisand will go over :barrel but if it keeps Gracie on her feet, then hallelujah!!

Tinami Amori

She needs something like her "On Golden Pond" SP or ANY of her exhibitions. Her adapting her Butterfly Lovers or House of Flying Daggers exhibition into a LP would have been heaven for me.
My only problem with "On Golden Pond" is that it is about old and wrinkled people.... :lol:
I would love her, or someone with her style, to skate to Persian Piano master, Javad Maroufi, who was very much loved by Shah Pahlavi and his gorgeous wife Soraya.

Javad Maroufi selections
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XH2YP3xF4K0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gV5rnXU62jM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkYChV6ivds

VGThuy

My only problem with "On Golden Pond" is that it is about old and wrinkled people.... :lol:

That's why she played the "loon", :lol:.

Imagine Karen with a Katharine Hepburn accent.

Anyway...

I would love her, or someone with her style, to skate to Persian Piano master, Javad Maroufi, who was very much loved by Shah Pahlavi and his gorgeous wife Soraya.

Javad Maroufi selections
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XH2YP3xF4K0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gV5rnXU62jM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkYChV6ivds

Interesting! I'm going to listen to those pieces when I get home.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information