2017-2018 Program Music and Choreographers

Tinami Amori

[QUOTE"]Marin Honda's Turandot FS (violin version by Vanessa-Mae and Sarah Brightman's(?) "Nessun Dorma"): http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x5t0s1k_本田真凜-honda-marin-20170709-dream-on-ice-2017_sport[/QUOTE]

Marin had a strong skate, i liked her performance. But the music...... female voice? Why do females are allowed to commercially sing Nessun Dorma? do they bother to EVER read the words or the libretto? Honda's movements and facial expressions are too soft for Principessa di Morte. I hope she wears a different costume...... But it was a strong skate, nice to watch (with piano music, which i played from another source)... :lol:

Arakawa's costume was SPOT ON! But then she has some of the most elegant costumes anyway..

https://media3.s-nbcnews.com/j/msnb...ng-olympic-fashion-02.nbcnews-ux-1024-900.jpg

https://4.bp.blogspot.com/-7Fv3WWsC...00/MI+rogue+nation+Turandot+opera+costume.jpg

dramagrrl

Also makes me want a Bourne and Kraatz FD to La La Land.
I've been wracking my brains to think of who I would find acceptable to skate to that soundtrack (because I really did like the movie and the music, but the skaters who have chosen it so far are, IMO, completely ill-suited to it), and you've nailed it right there. That's what I was trying to find! A miraculous return of my all-time faves!

arakwafan2006

lala

[QUOTE"]Marin Honda's Turandot FS (violin version by Vanessa-Mae and Sarah Brightman's(?) "Nessun Dorma"): http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x5t0s1k_本田真凜-honda-marin-20170709-dream-on-ice-2017_sport

Marin had a strong skate, i liked her performance. But the music...... female voice? Why do females are allowed to commercially sing Nessun Dorma? do they bother to EVER read the words or the libretto? Honda's movements and facial expressions are too soft for Principessa di Morte. I hope she wears a different costume...... But it was a strong skate, nice to watch (with piano music, which i played from another source)... :lol:

Arakawa's costume was SPOT ON! But then she has some of the most elegant costumes anyway..

https://media3.s-nbcnews.com/j/msnb...ng-olympic-fashion-02.nbcnews-ux-1024-900.jpg

https://4.bp.blogspot.com/-7Fv3WWsCC28/VuNST9H0bAI/AAAAAAACRL4/otfIZsVI-CsQmTexeFpJL3iqIpreTmLoA/s1600/MI+rogue+nation+Turandot+opera+costume.jpg[/QUOTE]

I love Honda's program all together.

chantilly

Love Liebestraum. I'm okay with seeing a repeat. :encore:

Yeah I agree.
They made quite the impact with that dance and had a disappointing worlds.
It's not like they are in a position to podium.
And I'm assuming we will see some retirements in US Ice dance after the Oly's.

Lutzlvr

Yeah I agree.
They made quite the impact with that dance and had a disappointing worlds.
It's not like they are in a position to podium.
And I'm assuming we will see some retirements in US Ice dance after the Oly's.
I like their FD but still think it's weird to do a repeat. The are both such beautiful skaters and would love to see more from them. I just don't think I've seen THE program that brings out their musicality and connection.

VGThuy

I think if their Liebestraum is well-received (for them) internationally, then we may start seeing more ice dancers repeating FDs.

Dobre

Dance team keeping their program heading into the olympic season?
Okay.

I don't thinks it's a bad idea.

It didn't reach anywhere near its potential at Nationals and that is where Hawayek & Baker's big competition is. They were on track to defeat Pogrebinsky & Benoit there prior to the mistakes last season, and H&B may have a stronger start to this season than their peers because they have more experience with the program and have already received good feedback on it internationally. It leaves the door open for the other young teams & the rest of the world to do better, but it sets a high bar.

Hawayek & Baker's SB score for Liebstraum was #12 on the SB list of free dances last season.

0.57 behind Hubbell & Donohue's.

I think if their Liebestraum is well-received (for them) internationally, then we may start seeing more ice dancers repeating FDs.

I don't think that should be the message. Essentially, H&B's Liebstraum is like Coomes & Buckland's Hurricanes & Butterfiles from 2015-2016. It was never performed at a major international and not performed anywhere close to potential at Nationals. So there is still potential for improvement. One would hope most teams would not end their seasons with two falls & no international so one would hope this particular scenario would not repeat itself often.

VGThuy

Many (I'd say most) teams don't make it to GPF/4CC/Euros/Worlds and most don't repeat programs. I mean even without the two falls, they probably wouldn't have been able to do it at 4CC and Worlds anyway. I'm just saying it's very rare in ice dance but it may become normalized in the way it is for singles where most singles don't repeat programs but doing so isn't as frowned upon as it is in ice dance.

VGThuy

I dare to hope, since it is Osmond, a girl with dare and spark, that she'll actually acts out the risky parts of the plot in the movie, not just be a "ballerina".. :smokin:

I've been dying for a literal interpretation of the movie on ice.

screech

YASSS BRING ON THE DRAMA!!! Yes she may not be the most balletic, but i'm sure she'll carry the character to its fullest potential.
Is this the most straight 'balletic' program Jeff has done for a top level skater? It'll be interesting to see what he creates for her.

I also hope she goes full drama with the costume. The bit of the top she showed on instagram has promise, but she can't half-ass the costume (like Gracie did for Firebird - not enough drama there).

VGThuy

Gracie's Firebird dress was "half-assed"? Sure it wasn't as OTT theatrical or cheap-looking as Khokhlova's but it was pretty theatrical and on-point.

ETA: Now that I looked at it again and really looked at the bottom half, I agree with you. Forget what I said.

clairecloutier

All I can say is I really hope this doesn't become the norm (I.e., repeating FDs). One year of most FDs is quite enough.

I wonder if skaters are starting to repeat programs more because, increasingly, PCS is determined by TES. therefore, there is less & less need for new programs, because what really matters is rotating and landing your jumps (or your twizzles). Not a positive trend IMO.

VGThuy

All I can say is I really hope this doesn't become the norm (I.e., repeating FDs). One year of most FDs is quite enough.

I wonder if skaters are starting to repeat programs more because, increasingly, PCS is determined by TES. therefore, there is less & less need for new programs, because what really matters is rotating and landing your jumps (or your twizzles). Not a positive trend IMO.

Yeah. Skaters can't always help the type of PCS they get, but they can control their TES and hope that the callers don't have it out for them (or their coaches) personally when it comes to the more subjective calls. If they know PCS is so tied to TES, why not work primarily on the part that you have better control of and gives you guaranteed base points like jumps (or twizzles and lifts in ice dance).

Dobre

Many (I'd say most) teams don't make it to GPF/4CC/Euros/Worlds and most don't repeat programs. I mean even without the two falls, they probably wouldn't have been able to do it at 4CC and Worlds anyway. I'm just saying it's very rare in ice dance but it may become normalized in the way it is for singles where most singles don't repeat programs but doing so isn't as frowned upon as it is in ice dance.

If Hawayek & Baker had skated it well at Nationals, I would frown on it. But they didn't.

There really are very few dance teams that have programs capable of earning a top 12 SB in the World and missing the post season. (And Ilinykh & Zhiganshin's likely disappearance just cut the number in half). Generally speaking, if you skate your programs to their potential during the season, your best chance of moving up in dance the following year is a new FD. The chance of H&B doing well enough this season to change a trend that has existed for decades just isn't high, IMO.

I'd like to see H&B come up with a new program and really try to chase down Guignard & Fabbri and Stepanova & Bukin, but the reality is that H&B may never even go up against those teams this season. They will be going up against a slate of young dance teams--Loboda & Drozd at SC, Pogrebinsky & Benoit, McNamara & Carpenter, and the Parsons at Nationals. Liebstraum may give H&B a strong enough start out of the gate to hold off the charge. And it may, at its best, challenge Tobias & Tkachenko at SA. That's the mark, IMO. The field at SC is actually pretty weak once you get off the podium. H&B could come 4th there. But SA will likely have 8 teams with SB scores in the top 24. If you can defeat Tobias & Tkachenko there, IMO, it will be a win for any of these mid-tier teams. (Who the heck knows what will happen with Sinitsina & Katsalapov?) If H&B go down to the Parsons or McNamara & Carpenter there, good-bye three-year senior advantage.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information