#2 KAETLYN OSMOND : CANADA'S SWEETHEART

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
My godchildren liked Kaetlyn, but they didn't like the black dress. They wanted some color on her. I guess they didn't quite grasp the Black Swan concept. :lol:
I didn't like the dress either. Don't mind the colors. I find the design totally unflattering

Last edited:

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
I didn't care for the costume at first, but it's grown on me. Or maybe that's just because she had such a great skate in it! :D

worldsnice12

Osmond created the most memorable performances for me along with Mirai's Team LP during these Olympics.
It was out of this world to see Kaetlyn finally deliver up to her capacities after all the ups and downs during her career.
She was a regal on the ice and when she nailed that 3 Loop I just knew this was her moment to shine.
I wish she would stay in for another Olympic circle as I am curious to see how far she could go in terms of artistry. For me she reminds me a lot about Nicole Bobek skating wise and her presence on the ice is really one of the best I have ever seen.
I dont know anybody that can match her jumps when she is "on" and I would have score +3 on all her jumps except the 3Lutz :cheer:

rvi5

Except for Kaitlyn and Andrew (did they return home early?), the entire Canadian FS team was in the audience giving Kaetlyn (and Gabby) a standing ovation at the end of her LP. I noticed Piper wiping away tears of happiness for Kaetlyn.

In addition to the Canadian team, Madison Chock, Evan Bates, and Ashley Wagner can be seen with the Canadians, cheering for Kaetlyn.

shutterbug

A wonderful article by the National Post's Dan Barnes: From broken leg to broken record: Kaetlyn Osmond's Olympic journey
“She doesn’t really notice much who she’s competing against, she’s always just focusing on herself,” said her coach Ravi Walia. “She’s not really someone who’s always trying to win, she’s just always trying to do the ultimate performance.

And some kind words from Jackie Wong: Opining on Olympic ladies Part 3: Ending on a high note
It was a question the skating world has had for the whole season - can Kaetlyn Osmond figure it out? Can she get out of her own head and skate two strong programs on the biggest stage? She proved it in the short, and she did it again in the free.

She did it with the most mature and choreographically sophisticated free skate of her career. And it was my favorite skate of the day - bold, powerful, and skated full out. Her one error was a step out of her lutz, which likely helped her not overthink the rest of her program.

Still pinching myself 36 hours later. She did it!!! Our girl laid down a near perfect FP and won a freaking Olympic medal. :respec: :cheer2: :swoon: I am in uber heaven!

BF Trennt Michaud is pretty happy camper too :), tweeting this after the ladies FP: https://twitter.com/trennt22/status/966904392447217664
So that officially made this the absolute best Figure skating events across the board ever!!! #teamcanada #olympics

ETA: Also, another amazing comment about Kaetlyn's FP from former National Ballet star Rex Harrington: https://twitter.com/rexharrington/status/967065133800341504
Poetry in motion! @kaetlyn_23 ❤️ Swan Queen Odile! #ballet #figureskateing #GoCanada #WinterOlympics2018 #PyeongChang2018

Last edited:

judgejudy27

I am looking forward with excitement to see if this is the mental breakthrough Kaetlyn needs to take her to the next level, really rachet up her consistency, and possibly contender for gold medals in the future. She certainly has the talent and all the tools. Her biggest obstacle, other than how legit great the Russian girls are, are the inflated scores Zagitova and to a lesser degree Medvedeva routinely get while Osmond just gets proper scores putting her at a huge disadvantage. However if she gets more consistent that could change, it seems judges love consistent skaters, and you build up a reputation by that. With Virtue & Moir, Chan, Duhamel & Radford all retiring Skate Canada can also spend more of its political power on her, and it isnt like Skate Canada isnt a powerful and influential federation with a proven ability to politic inflated scores for its own when they want to, in its own right. She needs to focus on herself though and skating with the confidence she did in Pyeongchang more regularly, which I think she might not have finally had the mental breakthrough to do, and if that is the case, I think the sky is the limit for her. I think she plans to be around atleast another full quad too.

Ohyes

My godchildren liked Kaetlyn, but they didn't like the black dress. They wanted some color on her. I guess they didn't quite grasp the Black Swan concept. :lol:
Rainbow swan costume? It wouldn't fit the theme but the costume that will never be seems interesting to think about.

Ohyes

It's pretty enough, but something about the dress could have used a bit more 'oomph'. I still love that she came into her own with the program though - and at just the right time. :)
Should have gone the Tessa virtue route and put more bling on her costume after nationals. :lol:

Rock2

There is a majesty to KO's skating and performance that allows her to create impact in a more understated dress. Much like Scott and Tessa. We all know their FD costumes could have been much more over the top but their choices were perfect. Their skating did the talking.

Last edited:

Cachoo

There is a majesty to KO's skating and performance that allows her to create impact in a more understated dress. Much like Scott and Tessa. We all know their FD costumes could have been much more over the top but their choices were perfect. Their skating did the talking.
About majesty and the purity of her skating: Her technique is so beautiful and correct that I would love to see her skate in a natural setting. I think of Boitano on that glacier surrounded by snowcapped mountains with some refreshing music. Give her a television special.

Osmond4gold

Anyone know where I can find or able to upload a copy of the British or B ESP clip for Kaetlyn's FS?

Thanks!
Osmond4gold&bronze

Rafter

I loved KOs Black Swan costume. It was perfect and so classy. It was interesting how similar it was to Pogo’s at Skate Canada.

Cachoo

Rainbow swan costume? It wouldn't fit the theme but the costume that will never be seems interesting to think about.
Somehow that makes me think of stuff we've seen at Mardi Gras....colorful, celebratory but fitting for her long program?

Osmond4gold

Lucinda Ruh on women's results, posted yesterday on social media...

"I have to write a little something on what’s been on my mind from yesterday’s competition. I am so sad to see the world of skating succumb to once again politics. I personally think a woman, a woman’s skating should win the Olympic gold medal. Not a junior girl. Kaetlyn Osmond in my opinion should have won the gold but all the judges, media and officials decided long time ago it would be a Russia Russia battle and no matter how anyone skated they wouldn’t let them beat them. Their perception of these two Russians are so distorted. Let the little girls compete in juniors ... their body in one or two years won’t be able to do what they are doing now.. look at Katarina Witt time.. they were all grown women with stories to tell and art to make on the ice! That to me is an Olympic champion. For me Osmond was the best of the night and had the quality of jumps and skating that an Olympic Champion should embody. Ravi Walia please share with Kaetlyn too "

Good for you, Lucinda Ruh!

VarBar

Truer words have never been said.

Honestly I didn't think Kaetlyn would medal at the Olympics given her known inconsistencies on the jumps but I am glad that she could hold her nerves in check and deliver when it counted. Kaetlyn was the winner in my book too - followed by Satoko - but I can understand why the judges placed her 3rd in the standings.

I know that the bronze medal is not the gold medal but with just three medals in the game, winning one of any color is a big deal.

Congrats to Kaetlyn and her coach.☺

Cachoo

Lucinda Ruh on women's results, posted yesterday on social media...

"I have to write a little something on what’s been on my mind from yesterday’s competition. I am so sad to see the world of skating succumb to once again politics. I personally think a woman, a woman’s skating should win the Olympic gold medal. Not a junior girl. Kaetlyn Osmond in my opinion should have won the gold but all the judges, media and officials decided long time ago it would be a Russia Russia battle and no matter how anyone skated they wouldn’t let them beat them. Their perception of these two Russians are so distorted. Let the little girls compete in juniors ... their body in one or two years won’t be able to do what they are doing now.. look at Katarina Witt time.. they were all grown women with stories to tell and art to make on the ice! That to me is an Olympic champion. For me Osmond was the best of the night and had the quality of jumps and skating that an Olympic Champion should embody. Ravi Walia please share with Kaetlyn too "

Good for you, Lucinda Ruh!
Yes!!! I still want 19 and over and 18 and younger. If.we did this Kaetlyn gold, Satoko silver, Carolina bronze and Japan would win a bronze in the 18 and younger category to go with the Russian gold and silver. And more Russians would have a chance to experience an Olympics.

aml78

Does anyone know if there’s anywhere to find a replay of the NBC coverage of Kaetlyn’s Olympic short? I missed it and saw the online coverage but I’d like to see it with the broadcast commentary. If there’s a Canadian or Euro version I’d be interested in that as well.

honey

The CBC version of her sp and lp are on the CBC sports YouTube page, though they may be geoblocked (not sure).

aml78

Saw a FB live of Kaetlyn’s homecoming. Confirmed she’s going to Worlds and that she’s “not retiring any time soon” but also that she’s not sure if four more years is in the cards either. She’s going to take it year by year. Smart answer and so happy she’s not packing it in quite yet :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information