15th Van Cliburn International Piano Competition, May 25 - June 10, 2017

UMBS Go Blue

Слава Україні!
If you're a piano and classical music lover, this year's edition of the Van Cliburn International Piano Competition is now live from the Bass Performance Hall in Fort Worth, Texas!

Once again, there will be a professional live webcast with hosts Elizabeth Joy Roe and Greg Anderson, themselves former competitors and now a piano duo:

http://www.cliburn.org/

Here are competitor bios and repertoire:

https://www.cliburn.org/2017-cliburn-competition/2017-competitors/

Here is the competition schedule, for which there will be live webcasts for all rounds:

https://www.cliburn.org/2017-cliburn-competition/2017-competition-schedule/

Here are previous threads for the 2009 and 2013 competitions:

https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/in...ition-fort-worth-tx-may-22-june-7-2009.66434/

https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/in...l-piano-competition-may-22-june-9-2013.87079/

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
Luigi Carroccia, what :swoon: playing, so elegant in the quarterfinals today! He played last, and I hope the judges weren't too tired and hungry by then. There's another day of quarterfinals tomorrow, starting 10am CDT. I only caught the last four today.

According to the commentators, the judges will make steep cuts for the semi-finals -- from 20 quarterfinalists (down from 30 in the prelims) to 12 -- and they'll do that tomorrow night. They will have already had a full day of performances, the last starting at 9:25 local time :eek:. The semi-finals begin Thursday, June 1 and run through Monday, June 5, with 2-4 slots/day:

The Semifinal Round will be held in two phases.

Phase I: Each pianist will perform a recital not to exceed 60 minutes in length. The repertoire will consist of works chosen by the pianist. Repertoire from the Preliminary and Quarterfinal Rounds may not be repeated. Only complete works will be accepted.

Phase II: Each pianist will perform a Mozart piano concerto with the Fort Worth Symphony Orchestra, conducted by Nicholas McGegan.

Repertoire must be chosen from the following:
Mozart: Piano Concerto No. 9 in E-flat Major, K. 271
Mozart: Piano Concerto No. 20 in D Minor, K. 466
Mozart: Piano Concerto No. 21 in C Major, K. 467
Mozart: Piano Concerto No. 22 in E-flat Major, K. 482
Mozart: Piano Concerto No. 23 in A Major, K. 488
Mozart: Piano Concerto No. 24 in C Minor, K. 491
Mozart: Piano Concerto No. 25 in C Major, K. 503
Mozart: Piano Concerto No. 27 in B-flat Major, K. 595

Thursday, June 1
Semifinal Recital 1, 7:30 p.m.

Friday, June 2
Semifinal Recital 2, 2:30 p.m.
Semifinal Recital 3, 7:30 p.m.

Saturday, June 3
Semifinal Recital 4, 2:30 p.m.
Semifinal Mozart 1, 7:30 p.m.

Sunday, June 4
Semifinal Recital 5, 2:30 p.m.
Semifinal Mozart 2, 7:30 p.m.​

Monday, June 5
Semifinal Recital 6, 2:30 p.m.
Semifinal Mozart 3, 7:30 p.m.
6 FINALISTS ANNOUNCED
I wonder if the recitalists on June 5 play their Mozart concerto that night, or if they play their concerto over the weekend and their recital afterwards.

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
They've been advertising that the final afternoon will be broadcast live in movie theaters on Saturday, June 10 through Fathom Events:
https://www.fathomevents.com/events/van-cliburn-competition/

It's playing in theaters in Dublin, Union City, and Fremont, starting at 9:55am, with running time listed as 5 hours, 30 minutes. It's even playing in Seattle :cheer2: on a day when there's no ballet matinee and I don't have another movie until 4pm, but it will mean heading to it before the announcements are made.

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
I am loving Alyosha Jurinic from Croatia. Debussy and Schumann. According to the running comments, he had to play last in the Prelims, too, and he started late because Rachel Kudo went overtime. It's in Fort Worth, so it's after 10pm there.

Spun Silver

They've been advertising that the final afternoon will be broadcast live in movie theaters on Saturday, June 10 through Fathom Events:
https://www.fathomevents.com/events/van-cliburn-competition/

It's playing in theaters in Dublin, Union City, and Fremont, starting at 9:55am, with running time listed as 5 hours, 30 minutes. It's even playing in Seattle :cheer2: on a day when there's no ballet matinee and I don't have another movie until 4pm, but it will mean heading to it before the announcements are made.
I am tempted but that is a lot of music at one sitting. I am out of shape since leaving NYC. Hmmm. Keep us posted on how the finalists are!

dinakt

Not watching yet, but please keep us posted on your favorites, so we can watch selectively:) Thanks for the thread!

Spun Silver

Listening to Dasol Kim play I know not what. He's growing on me. Whatever this is, it's so lush!

Last edited:

IceAlisa

discriminating and persnickety ballet aficionado
Whoever is on now playing Beethoven is great. I don't care that it sounds more like Chopin, I like it!

Spun Silver

Rachmaninov's first sonata. Wow! Fabulous piece and musician! So was it Dasol Kim or Honggi Kim?

OK, checked pix. It was Honggi. Go, Honggi!

OK, this psyched me. I will make every effort to go to the movie theater for the finals if I don't have a family obligation - hopefully it's on a different Saturday in June. Thanks, kwanfan and UMBS Go Blue!

Last edited:

UMBS Go Blue

Слава Україні!
From the Cliburn web site. All times U.S. Central time (1 hour behind Eastern, 2 hours ahead of Pacific).

Semifinalists of the Fifteenth Van Cliburn International Piano Competition:
Kenneth Broberg, United States, 23
Han Chen, Taiwan, 25
Rachel Cheung, Hong Kong, 25
Yury Favorin, Russia, 30
Daniel Hsu, United States, 19
Dasol Kim, South Korea, 28
Honggi Kim, South Korea, 25
Leonardo Pierdomenico, Italy, 24
Yutong Sun, China, 21
Yekwon Sunwoo, South Korea, 28
Georgy Tchaidze, Russia, 29
Tony Yike Yang, Canada, 18

SEMIFINAL ROUND

The Semifinal Round will be held in two phases.
Phase I: Each pianist will perform a recital not to exceed 60 minutes in length. The repertoire will consist of works chosen by the pianist. Repertoire from the Preliminary and Quarterfinal Rounds may not be repeated. Only complete works will be accepted.
Phase II: Each pianist will perform a Mozart piano concerto with the Fort Worth Symphony Orchestra, conducted by Nicholas McGegan.

Thursday, June 1
Semifinal Recital 1, 7:30 p.m.

Friday, June 2
Semifinal Recital 2, 2:30 p.m.
Semifinal Recital 3, 7:30 p.m.

Saturday, June 3
Semifinal Recital 4, 2:30 p.m.
Semifinal Mozart 1, 7:30 p.m.

Sunday, June 4
Semifinal Recital 5, 2:30 p.m.
Semifinal Mozart 2, 7:30 p.m.

Monday, June 5
Semifinal Recital 6, 2:30 p.m.
Semifinal Mozart 3, 7:30 p.m.

SEMIFINAL ROUND SCHEDULE

Thursday, June 1, 2017

SEMIFINAL CONCERT 1—RECITAL
7:30 p.m. Daniel Hsu, United States
20-minute intermission
8:50 p.m. Dasol Kim, South Korea

Friday, June 2, 2017

SEMIFINAL CONCERT 2—RECITAL
2:30 p.m. Yutong Sun, China
20-minute intermission
3:50 p.m. Honggi Kim, South Korea

SEMIFINAL CONCERT 3—RECITAL
7:30 p.m. Yury Favorin, Russia
20-minute intermission
8:50 p.m. Georgy Tchaidze, Russia

Saturday, June 3, 2017
SEMIFINAL CONCERT 4—RECITAL
2:30 p.m. Tony Yike Yang, Canada
20-minute intermission
3:20 p.m. Yekwon Sunwoo, South Korea

SEMIFINAL CONCERT 5—CONCERTO
7:30 p.m.
Leonardo Pierdomenico, Italy
Kenneth Broberg, United States
Daniel Hsu, United States
Dasol Kim, South Korea

Sunday, June 4, 2017

SEMIFINAL CONCERT 6—RECITAL
2:30 p.m. Han Chen, Taiwan
20-minute intermission
3:50 p.m. Rachel Cheung, Hong Kong

SEMIFINAL CONCERT 7—CONCERTO
Yutong Sun, China
Honggi Kim, South Korea
Yury Favorin, Russia
Georgy Tchaidze, Russia

Monday, June 5, 2017

SEMIFINAL CONCERT 8—RECITAL
2:30 p.m. Leonardo Pierdomenico, Italy
20-minute intermission
3:50 p.m. Kenneth Broberg, United States

SEMIFINAL CONCERT 9—CONCERTO
Tony Yike Yang, Canada
Yekwon Sunwoo, South Korea
Han Chen, Taiwan
Rachel Cheung, Hong Kong

Spun Silver

Dasol Kim's performance of Kapustin's jazzy Intermezzo in D-flat Major, Op. 40, No. 7 should earn him a spot in the finals, not to mention in the competition documentary that usually airs in the fall on PBS.

It's from 12.45-16.30 here:

http://cliburn2017.medici.tv/en/performance/demi-finale-6
I agree! What a weird and great choice. I wasn't especially wowed by his Schubert though but the first two pieces were fabulous.

IceAlisa

Dasol Kim's performance of Kapustin's jazzy Intermezzo in D-flat Major, Op. 40, No. 7 should earn him a spot in the finals, not to mention in the competition documentary that usually airs in the fall on PBS.

It's from 12.45-16.30 here:

http://cliburn2017.medici.tv/en/performance/demi-finale-6
Listened to his Mendelssohn-Bartoldy, such clarity of sound! The intermezzo has great playfulness behind which there's total control. Didn't love his Schubert. Maybe it has to do with the fact that I just listened to Martha Argerich on youtube. :shuffle:
Tchaidze playing Pictures from Exhibition was absolutely glorious. A big, complex sound, thoughtful musicianship. Cannot wait to hear his Mozart.
Link please.

Last edited:

dinakt

Listened to his Mendelssohn-Bartoldy, such clarity of sound! The intermezzo has great playfulness behind which there's total control. Didn't love his Schubert. Maybe it has to do with the fact that I just listened to Martha Argerich on youtube. :shuffle:
Link please.
http://cliburn2017.medici.tv/en/performance/demi-finale-2
:)
Starts with Schumann and Medtner, also very fine. He starts "Promenade" a bit fast for my taste, but I loved his interpretation after that.
I plan to catch up with recommendations here, thanks everybody!
I love good piano recitals... happy sigh.
Why do skaters not skate to "Pictures"? If not in piano, then in orchestral version.
Now I have to hear Kim's interpretation of Mussorgsky- twitter tells me it was a very different take.

Last edited:

IceAlisa

thank you! :) I ended up clicking on Medtner and didn't want to stop.

I've recently heard Igor Levit perform Schumann's piano concerto in A minor :swoon: where the 1st movement is a skating goldmine.

Last edited:

IceAlisa

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHH! It's 3:30 am almost and here I am obsessively comparing recordings of Medtner on Youtube. Kissin vs. Gilels vs. Richter (Richter, duh! but can't find a good quality recording.) I am peeved at the Gilels interpretation as even though the sound is good, it seems rushed and you don't rush through reminiscences. But if you need Hells Bells hammered out, he is your man.

dinakt

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHH! It's 3:30 am almost and here I am obsessively comparing recordings of Medtner on Youtube. Kissin vs. Gilels vs. Richter (Richter, duh! but can't find a good quality recording.) I am peeved at the Gilels interpretation as even though the sound is good, it seems rushed and you don't rush through reminiscences. But if you need Hells Bells hammered out, he is your man.
That sounds so satisfying. Who ended up being your favorite?

IceAlisa

That sounds so satisfying. Who ended up being your favorite?
it was Richter hands down but I can't find a good quality recording. :( What about you? Whom do you prefer?

dinakt

it was Richter hands down but I can't find a good quality recording. :( What about you? Whom do you prefer?
I have not compared Medtner interpretations, but normally, out of the three, Richter.
Though every time I heard Kissin live, it was quite amazing.
Gilels eludes me... Not sure why- did I not hear enough, or does it not stick. Need to revisit.

Am listening to Mozart concerti at Cliburn right now. Mozart is just divine:)
Liked Yutong Sun with Concerto in D minor. I like Mozart on the romantic side, especially in minor- personal preference. He chose very slow tempi at times, but I thought it worked for him.
Tchaidze continues to be wonderful. I am a fan.

Last edited:

IceAlisa

I hate to throw shade on the hometown boy Gilels but I feel he is not as refined as some others. I always feel respect for Kissin but not love. Not sure why. Richter was a god, pure awe. :swoon: I listened to his Vogel als Prophet--you can easily picture yourself in a forest listening to a bird sing. Such penetration of authorial intent. The finest ever!

Romantic Mozart, yes please! I should check out Yutong Sun. And :cheers2: to Chaidze, loved his program and execution the other night.

dinakt

They announce finalists late tonight.
I have been really enjoying this competition. Lots of individuality in those young musicians.
And- Mozart forever:)
Rachel Cheung's Mozart was good too. As some Tweet said, operatic (in the complex, song- like, not the "overwrought" way)

Last edited:

UMBS Go Blue

Слава Україні!
Whee! The semifinal round just ended with three particularly nice Mozart concerti. After listening to most of the semifinalists' performances in both the semifinal and quarterfinal rounds, my personal preferences for the finalists are:

Dasol Kim
Honggi Kim
Yekwon Sunwoo
Georgy Tchaidze
Kenneth Broberg
Rachel Cheung
Han Chen

Unfortunately, that's 7 choices when there are only spots for 6. ;)

We'll see what the jury thinks in a few minutes. :judge: :COP:

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
Why do skaters not skate to "Pictures"? I
Seriously. Pacific Northwest Ballet is performing Alexei Ratmansky's "Pictures at an Exhibition," which is set to the piano score, and I got to see/hear it three times in 26 hours last weekend, with two more this weekend. What a fantastic piece of music!

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information