13-year-old Russian, Alexandra Trusova, is first female figure skater to land two quads (video)

Tinami Amori

"Theoretically you could win.
– I think that Lesha Erokhov would not forgive me this."

:lol:
especially since he helps her with jumps during practice ... :D... but in reality i don't think he'd mind, since everyone treats Trusova like a little squirt (judging by their play videos from the rink).

DreamSkates

Maybe it's just me but all that hair looks very thin and wispy so the bun and the weight don't seem that much of a problem to me. Perhaps even a help as the slight pull of the bun helps keep her chin up for the jumps (ala Stoyko)
Good point. I wondered how she could get all that hair into a bun!

D

Deleted member 19433

Congratulations to her on a great accomplishment. :)

I'm particularly amused by the fact that, if I'm not mistaken, it was over 15 years between the first ratified quad in ISU ladies competition and the second, and just under 15 seconds between the second and the third. Less than one thirty millionth of the time in between. :lol: I don't think that astronomical rate of technical progress is sustainable, however. ;)

Foolhardy Ham Lint

Trusova has certainly raised the bar in terms of technical merit in the ladies' event, to unheard of new heights.

My biggest concern is, I hope with each new competition, that kind of performance isn't expected each and every time. (Meaning, do it when it absolutely counts, I guess.)

I'm reminded of when Kurt Browning landed the first quadruple jump in 1988, what a burden it was for him to reproduce that result. After 1990, I don't think he ever attempted another quad.

Japanfan

I'm particularly amused by the fact that, if I'm not mistaken, it was over 15 years between the first ratified quad in ISU ladies competition and the second, and just under 15 seconds between the second and the third. Less than one thirty millionth of the time in between. :lol: I don't think that astronomical rate of technical progress is sustainable, however. ;)

I'm reminded of when Kurt Browning landed the first quadruple jump in 1988, what a burden it was for him to reproduce that result. After 1990, I don't think he ever attempted another quad.

FS evolves in fits and starts. It took over 15 years since Browning landing the first quad for quads to become a staple in men's FS.

I am hoping that at some point, the 3A and quads become a staple in ladies FS. I see know reason why many more ladies can't land those jumps if they train correctly for them. Perhaps many have the belief that the jumps are too hard for them because they are not as strong as men? Someone needs to remind them that women have always accomplished things previously only the purview of men when they've been given an opportunity to do so! :)

Nonetheless, ladies seem to stagnate technically more than the other fields and play it safe, possibly because they are still ascribing to the feminine ideal of FS (which is by nature more focused on form/style than athletics). There were a number of years when the ladies were only landing 3/2s and none were really pushing the field with 3/3s. That was a really boring period for me with respect to the ladies.

Meoima

Nonetheless, ladies seem to stagnate technically more than the other fields and play it safe, possibly because they are still ascribing to the feminine ideal of FS (which is by nature more focused on form/style than athletics). There were a number of years when the ladies were only landing 3/2s and none were really pushing the field with 3/3s. That was a really boring period for me with respect to the ladies.
Also, ladies are judged by consistency a lot. Risky element affects your consistency.

LarrySK8

Trusova is great at the gymnastics of skating and at 13, has the gymnast build to be able to rotate. A few nanograms of maturity-inducing hormones and a piece of bread and those quads and her current state will disappear - right in time for her to go into Seniors.

She is at a point now where quads are possible; skating is judged based on its gymnastic quality (Juniors) and she fits the mold. She will change, things are different at Seniors and let's see how she will transition after doing 5 quads next year at 14. Do it while you can, Girl! They won't last forever.

hanca

Values her privacy
Trusova is great at the gymnastics of skating and at 13, has the gymnast build to be able to rotate. A few nanograms of maturity-inducing hormones and a piece of bread and those quads and her current state will disappear - right in time for her to go into Seniors.

She is at a point now where quads are possible; skating is judged based on its gymnastic quality (Juniors) and she fits the mold. She will change, things are different at Seniors and let's see how she will transition after doing 5 quads next year at 14. Do it while you can, Girl! They won't last forever.
If she changes. Medvedeva didn’t change much, and Zagitova is not changing yet. Someone changes a lot, others are lucky. Genetics and food may have a lot to do with that.

Meoima

If she changes. Medvedeva didn’t change much, and Zagitova is not changing yet. Someone changes a lot, others are lucky. Genetics and food may have a lot to do with that.
If your comment on delayed puberty is true, then maybe Medvedeva has some delayed puberty. I also heard she has some thyroid issue, I don’t know if she has treated that issue already?

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!

Some are hardly affected by puberty. Trusova’s family (parents, grandparents) are thin. I’m sure that Team Eteri checked them out before investing in Trusova. Here in the US, Tennell is hyper-thin at age 20...a real blessing. I’m sure that she’ll do well at Worlds if she skates cleanly. I’m also secretly hoping that she’s been working at shifting one or two of her jumps to the 2nd half of her program (beyond what was already in the bonus).

Sylvia

TBD
Another junior season for quad queen Trusova [in 2018-19] by Tatjana Flade: https://goldenskate.com/2018/04/another-junior-season-for-record-breaking-trusova/
The teenager then set her next goal – a quad Lutz. A video appeared on Instagram that showed her landing what is considered the most difficult quadruple jump currently performed in competition. While the jump appeared underrotated, it was still impressive.
“A quad has only one rotation more,” Trusova pointed out. She first tried the quad Lutz on the harness. “I used to do my (triple) Lutz with both arms up and needed first to do it again without my arms.” But the triple Axel is still nagging at her. “I need to learn it. Doing quads without a triple Axel is weird somehow.”
“She (Trusova) has very good jumps,” said coach and choreographer Gleikhengauz. “She is physically very well prepared, she is a very strong girl – physically and mentally.”
The team went for the goal step by step. First, Trusova increased the height of her triples and worked a lot on the harness and wore padded pants to avoid injuries. “We’ve worked for half a year or a bit less on it,” said Gleikhengauz. “We did not rush it.”
Most importantly, it was the skater herself that wanted to learn quads and was not afraid of trying, despite unavoidable hard falls.
“The quad has one rotation more, because you jump higher,” Trusova explained. “When you fall from height, it not nice, obviously. When I am falling, everyone turns away … but in fact, it only hurts when falling on the hip. How I fell on the quad in the Grand Prix Final didn’t hurt much. Everyone said ‘terrible,’ but I wasn’t hurting. I am not afraid of falling. When I train quads, I am wearing padded pants so that it doesn’t hurt to fall and therefore, it’s not scary.”

hanca

Values her privacy
I fully expect to start reading posts whining she shouldn't be allowed to do quads because it isn't fair to those who can't. Bless their hearts.
My guess is that by next season there will be some rule in place that juniors are not allowed to do more than one quad or one triple axel, “to protect the skaters health”.

rfisher

Let the skating begin
My guess is that by next season there will be some rule in place that juniors are not allowed to do more than one quad or one triple axel, “to protect the skaters health”.
Yep. Because we're so concerned about what she'll be able to do at age 20. Who knows what any 14 year old will do in six years? Injuries happen. Skaters decide they don't want to skate any more. Today, she's amazing and that's good enough for me.

starrynight

Trusova is certainly a test-case experiment. The experiment being that if a girl is taught the jumps in juniors whether that will give her the ability to re-find them when her body grows and changes.

Many people are probably expecting the focus with Trusova to be to keep her as tiny as possible as capitalise on that small window of being 15 and still having a little junior girl body to win things.

But what will impress me is if there is some kind of plan that extends beyond doing that and actually keeping Trusova injury free and preserving these jumps into adulthood. Only time will tell in that sense.

But I think with the Russian girls, the Junior circuit is considered just as 'big time' as the senior circuit, rather than a warm-up to seniors.

There's also so many girls in Russia that there isn't a fear of 'breaking' the big talent before she even turns up to the real party i.e. seniors/Olympics. For any other country, if Trusova's career ended early before she could win big medals it would be a tragedy. For Russia it would simply be an interesting test-case to learn from for the next skater. It also helps that parents in Russia aren't re-mortgaging their homes to pay for this.

Vagabond

That would be locking the barn door after the horse has been stolen, since she will have become eligible for Seniors (by just a week!). Still, if she somehow decides to linger in Juniors next season and such a rule goes into effect, she'll just replace the extra quads with quints. :giggle::COP:

Last edited:

rfisher

Let the skating begin
That would be locking the barn door after the horse has been stolen, since she will have aged out (by just a week!). Still, if she somehow decides to linger in Juniors next season and such a rule goes into effect, she'll just replace the extra quads with quints. :giggle::COP:
Someone needs to whisper in her ear that if she lands a 4 axle before Hanyu does, she wins everything.

Sasha'sSpins

🇺🇦💙🙏💛🇺🇦
What a gifted little girl she is! 😍 I hope that she stays strong and healthy and that her coaches are very careful bringing her along as she grows and matures, so that she can keep her amazing jumps! I hope she can get the triple Axel too at some point since she seems to want that jump so badly! 🙂 ⛸⛸

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information