‘I knew I wouldn’t be allowed to win in Salt Lake City’: Russian skating icon Irina Slutskaya on lost victory at 2002 Games

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
I am a mega Irina fan. Surprises me a bit she feels this way. Has she ever gone back and looked at her tight landings? Disaster

In 02 and also 98 I was a big fan of Irina. Not so much Sarah. But as an objective viewer I will always say Sarah defeated both Michelle and Irina. Those two veterans skated a bit like deer in headlights that night. And I’m a bigger fan of Michele and Irina than I was Sarah.

But Irina is right. Because in Sochi I think what she says happened there.... When Julia faultered they gave it to Adelina. When I thought Caro and Yuna did better as a casual objective viewer. I think what she says happened there.

Also as mentioned in the interview I don’t care about Sarah’s under rotations because no skater was really judged on that then. If that program has been judged in 06 or later yeah I may not have her as the winner.

It’s like yeah Sarah may have had some under rotations but Irina was pitched forward and tight on most of hers. So my response to her is kind of like... “And?”

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
I think we all hyped Slutskaya up back in the day as this one and only rival to Kwan while Butyrskaya remained mostly inconsistent. The GPFinal win in 2000 shot her straight up to gold medal favorite even though her season prior to that wasn't overwhelmingly strong. 2000& 2001 Worlds LPs and the two first place ordinals she got each time is just..... mind-blowing. She also started crying about the 2001 result, and I'm sure she might think she lost because it was in Canada/North America. But really, it shouldn't have even been close.

Yes, I do think she deserved to run away with the short program in SLC. She really was so strong in her short programs- some of the best ever. But the free skate really was uninspired and shaky to the point that I actually think Kwan (although not much better and surely tentative) makes a case to be 2nd in the free skate anyways. We've had these discussions before, but I think Irina was really held up for the string of free skates where most jumps were extremely telegraphed, and spins and spirals and footwork (even though capable of being very strong) were after-thoughts. 2000 and Carmen is the worst offender. Don Quixote was better, but Tosca was more leaning towards Carmen IMO.

I have no doubt the ordinals were spread as they were in the free skate because there were judges in the 'Slutskaya should win no matter what' and maybe by extension 'anyone but Hughes' camp - hence the 1sts, and there were judges in the 'Well Kwan should still win overall' hence the 3rds (and 4th).

We all knew Hughes had her flaws even in 2002 and she probably should've been way down in the standings after the short, but she really did run away with the long regardless. I'd even give her the presentation mark on the night. Just like with flutzing/lipping, pauses between steps, and all other flaws we now see addressed often, under-rotations were a pick and choose as you like thing.

Bellanca

But as an objective viewer I will always say Sarah defeated both Michelle and Irina. Those two veterans skated a bit like deer in headlights that night
That's the truth, ANL! Sarah rose to the occasion and left the house an Olympic Games golden girl!

I keep reminding posters that politics in skating are pervasive, but enough continue to deny this fact by fooling themselves into believing they are not. Oh well, what can you do?! However, at these particular Olympic Games, politics found themselves in the backseat because the favorites faltered. Plus, lest we forget - pairs, anyone?

Also, I believe Irina is still holding onto some Oly angst. I don't blame her for being upset about it, but Sarah rightfully won the night. Not to mention the fact the results would have been hotly contested and very aggressively debated had Irina or Michelle won following their own FS/LP hiccups - and not trying to be deliberately repetitive, but specifically after the pairs fiasco. No one with any common sense would have willingly involved themselves in another hot mess (ladies discipline) judging scandal. Not at these particular Olympics, anyway.

Furthermore, if a pre-ordained favorite to win gold (in this case, Michelle or Irina) bungles their program enough, and a victory cannot be justified under the circumstances, the judges have a hard time getting there without exposing corruption and bias.

Last edited:

Marco

100% agree with @Tony Wheeler

I almost felt the way that her 2nd mark was set up leading to 2002 gave her false hopes or a false sense of entitlement which ironically didn't materialize when it mattered (i.e. 2000 & 2001 Worlds as well as 2002 Olys). For example her victory over Maria at 2000 NHK and over Kwan (and Hughes) at 2001 GPF somehow did her a disservice.

18 years have passed, her skating and especially those long programs really do not stand the test of time for me.

For those who said she should have won the competition on the short, perhaps some of the judges took notice of some of the following:

• frontloading of the jumps (Michelle's flip was her 5th element)
  • pause between steps and flip
  • slight lip
  • flying camel slight under-rev
  • combo spin slight travel (very visible as she was travelling right around the Olympic ring logo)
  • weaker posture and line
  • the soft music not fully bringing out her strengths in power

Irina's spins ironically did her in and negated any technical advantage she had over Michelle. Michelle used her strongest program, and the UR on the flip aside, the elements were flawless and IMO she rightfully won on the 2nd mark.

Last edited:

Skibean

Even if Irina was 1st after the short program there was no guarantee she would win overall. Kwan usually did great as an underdog and placing 2nd in the short wouldn’t have necessarily hurt her. Regarding Sarah: she defeated both Irina and Kwan at Skate Canada prior to the Olympics. It’s not as if she was some under the radar fluke. Irina seemed to never come to terms with the fact that on that particular night, Sarah deserved that win. Irina was given plenty of gifts in her career. Fortunately the judges in SLC didn’t give her a huge one that night.

LarrySK8

OY!!!!!!!!! Really? Seriously? Was this a vodka-driven chat Irina had one day?

To debate things is nice. However, is Irina and the skating community going to continue to debate a competition and LP placement where of the top 5 skaters, only one skated with imperfections rather than errors and falls?

We are noting IS, MK, Sasha, Sarah and Fumie Suguri, who no one even remembers (5th) as being in medal contention, as the performances to rate.

Underwhelming competition both technically and artistically if you ask me. Prior Olympics were more intriguing to that point.

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
@VGThuy how bizarre that the thread with an interview that Tanya translated a year ago was resurrected and now this interview pops up now. I thought it was the same thread too :lol:

Lol I had to go and see what you and @VGThuy we’re talking about.... I did not see there was a resurrected thread about a different interview

vireo

I'm not a ice skater, and I wasn't at these Olympics, but I feel I was robbed of winning as well.

I knew I wasn’t allowed to win in SLC either. Sigh,

The gold medal would have been mine, if not for scheming relatives of rival skaters who bribed the judges with cash, jewels, recreational pharmaceuticals, and sexual favors. :wuzrobbed

Winnipeg

Why bother saying something like that when it only makes you look like a poor loser and one who has not moved on. Sad.

I remember 2002 and although Sarah was never a favorite of mine, she won the gold and I agree with the placements based on how the event was skated. Overall, it was not the best ladies event but still clearly won by Hughes

CarolineBingley

It's sad to read she believes the audience was against her. Having been there, I don't believe that to be the case at all. Fans were excited to see ALL of these skaters, but as expected, any home athlete is going to have the boost of support from the crowd. That does not equate to the audience being against her. With that said, I'm glad I read this article for myself, as this article is more about the importance of mental health post-competitive skating and finding there is more to life than being an elite level athlete. Irina looks happy as a wife and mother, amoungst all other things she is pursuing in her life and that is what comes through most. Her care and concern for what happens post-competitive life is the driver of this article and I for one, am glad to see another athlete addressing this issue.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
2002 SLC - there may be some truth in this. She was held down in the SP. Nobody thought, probably including herself, that it would impact the final result. Local athletes do get favoritism, so I don’t think Irina’s statement was outrageous. It is just that losing to Hughes who clearly underrotated her triples, must have been hurtful. Everyone thought either Irina or Michelle would win. Both made mistakes in the LP, but the SP result really made the difference. I thought Maria was also held down, probably to hold the 3rd spot for a bronze for Hughes. When the audience screams with delight for their local favorite, it can impact the judges.

2006 Olympics- She admitted that she made a major mistake. She admitted she did not win because of the fall. What she is saying is - had she skated clean, they still would t have given her the win because they didn’t want a Russian sweep. There may be some truth in it. In a close result they might not have given her the win. However, if she had skated like she did at the 2005 worlds, no way they would have denied her, sweep or not.

She did take responsibility for her mistake, and accepted that she did not deserve to win.

BTW did we really need a new thread to discuss one of Irina’s statements? Why couldn’t this be discussed in the same thread where her interview was posted.

Last edited:

Vagabond

ponderous, pedestrian,and plebeian.
After one whole quart of brandy
Like a daisy I awake
With no Bromo Seltzer handy
I don't even shake

Silver is not a new sensation;
I've done pretty well, I think
But this half-pint irritation
Put me on the brink

I've lost again
Wuzrobbed again
A simpering, whimpering child again
Ponderous, pedestrian, and plebeian am I

Couldn't weep
And wouldn't weep
Until I could weep where I shouldn't weep

Lost my gold but what of it?
My mistake, I agree
She's a joke, but I love it
Because the joke's on me

A pill she is :sarah1:
But still she is
Sixteen and I'll scorn her until she is
Ponderous, pedestrian, and plebeian
Like me

Seen a lot
I bitched a lot
I shoulda won but I’ve blown my shot
Ponderous, pedestrian, and plebeian am I.

:irina1:
;)

VGThuy

After one whole quart of brandy
Like a daisy I awake
With no Bromo Seltzer handy
I don't even shake

Silver is not a new sensation;
I've done pretty well, I think
But this half-pint irritation
Put me on the brink

I've lost again
Wuzrobbed again
A simpering, whimpering child again

Couldn't weep
And wouldn't weep
Until I could weep where I shouldn't weep

Lost my gold but what of it?
My mistake, I agree
She's a joke, but I love it
Because the joke's on me

A pill she is :sarah1:
But still she is
Sixteen and I'll scorn her until she is
Ponderous, pedestrian, and plebeian
Like me

Seen a lot
I bitched a lot
I shoulda won but I’ve blown my shot
Ponderous, pedestrian, and plebeian am I.

:irina1:
;)

I absolutely love that song and I love your version of it.

aftershocks

Banned Member
Why bother saying something like that when it only makes you look like a poor loser and one who has not moved on. Sad.

It's sad to read she believes the audience was against her. Having been there, I don't believe that to be the case at all.

Exactly. It is rather sad to hold onto such feelings after all this time. Hopefully, getting this off her chest will allow Irina to release these emotions and move past such unhelpful, 'stuck-in-the-past' thoughts. A lot of pressure was on her friendly rival, Michelle Kwan too, especially with MK skating in her home country. Seems as if there was no consolation for Irina in knowing that her 'on paper' closest rival did not pull out the win either. Plus, Irina should have felt some measure of redemption in winning 2002 Worlds when MK also skated well enough to win Worlds that year. It could have gone either way, but Irina was rewarded. I guess the SLC Olympics still seems like yesterday for Irina, even though it was 20 years ago.

I'm sure it still hurts a bit for Michelle too. But the difference is that MK has looked inward for answers, not outward for blame. And MK also moved on a very long time ago, which has enabled her to pursue a fulfilling life off the ice.

orbitz

Michelle used her strongest program, and the UR on the flip aside, the elements were flawless and IMO she rightfully won on the 2nd mark.

I thought it was unwise for Michelle to attempt to duplicate in 02 the magic she had with that SP from 98. The magic just was no longer there; The performance was flat, IMO. I would've given the SP win to Irina. Heck, I think even Sasha deserved at least 2nd place for her gorgeous performance in that segment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information