2024 World Figure Skating Championships in Montreal

Sylvia

TBD
When/where will the skaters in the various practice groups be revealed?
Closer to the event - sometime the week before. The 2024 Junior Worlds practice groups & music rotation document was published on Feb. 22 & official practices began on Feb. 26.

Reactions: LSp

Sonata

Cross-posting re: Worlds Media Day:
On Twitter, https://twitter.com/InTheLoPodcast has photos, videos, practice notes, and interviews with the Canadian skaters. Of note, Sadovsky made it there safely and on time WITH his skates :) ; Lajoie/Lagha are practicing and looking healthy, as far as one can tell from photos.
They’re already in Montreal 2 weeks ahead? …. I didn’t know athletes did this before worlds. Good for them, must be costing a fortune in terms of practice time and accommodations though.

Lara

Bonjour/Hi to everyone at Worlds!
They’re already in Montreal 2 weeks ahead? …. I didn’t know athletes did this before worlds. Good for them, must be costing a fortune in terms of practice time and accommodations though.

I figured anyone not based in Montreal would be coming in and out given there’s at least 10 days left (or more, is anyone even based on the West Coast? No time difference to worry about in that case.)

Sylvia

TBD
I figured anyone not based in Montreal would be coming in and out given there’s at least 10 days left (or more, is anyone even based on the West Coast?
Wesley Chiu is the only one. I assume he and his coach will be returning home after this media day.

Last edited:

honey

I think it was Lia Pereira yesterday on Instagram who referred to it as a “quick trip” to Montreal. So, I assume no one is staying there.

Good to see them giving them a chance to skate in the rink before hand though. IIRC they did this in 2020 as well.

Just remembering this story in 2016 about Alaine Chartrand having inquired about renting out the TD Garden ice for an hour only to abandon the idea when they quote was in the tens of thousands of dollars :lol: .

livetoskate

Stupid question-- but do I need to get Canadian currency, or does every place around the Bell Centre take credit cards? Is tipping in cash the norm as in the US? Thanks!

Former Lurve Goddess

Stupid question-- but do I need to get Canadian currency, or does every place around the Bell Centre take credit cards? Is tipping in cash the norm as in the US? Thanks!
You might want a tiny bit of Canadian currency (lots of places will take US dollars but you'll lose out on the exchange rate) but almost all places will take credit cards. Same tipping customs as in the US, although Montrealers generally tip on the higher end.

AnnM

When I went to Vancouver for SCI, I pulled out a small amount of Canadian cash from an ATM mostly to tip hotel staffers, but it also came in handy at a street fair I stumbled upon one day. Everywhere else accepted cards. Just check to make sure your preferred card doesn't charge any foreign transaction fees.

I did see that St. Viateur Bagel is cash only so if that's on your itinerary be aware.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information