2024 World Figure Skating Championships in Montreal

Aceon6

Wrangling the duvet into the cover
Ted Barton mentioned at the end of the Junior Worlds EX Gala livestream that Mark Hanretty will be the commentator for the ISU's livestream/world feed.
Anyone know how good/bad the Bell Centre WiFi is? Having access to the stream makes it easier to catch up on missed skaters during ice makes and warmups.

Sylvia

TBD
^^^ Adam & Ashley (Peacock stream for U.S. Nationals & apparently discussed during the PBP threads). FWIW, I recall liking Rippon's commentary for 2023 Euros on the world feed (he was paired with a non-skating sports guy).

Thanks for posting this link @shutterbug to Rob Brodie's substack in the TV Alerts forum: https://rwbrodiewrites.substack.com/p/how-it-started-and-how-its-going-6a7

TV or not TV?
One of the biggest questions heading into Montreal Worlds, at least among folks who live in the Great White North, is this one …

How the heck can I watch this thing?

Well, good question. And much as I’d like to tell you right now I’ve got the answer for you … um, not quite. But here’s what I’ve managed to dig up at this point. And it may not exactly be entirely satisfying to those who have been used to watching this event on TV for decades and decades.

First off, yes, CBC will be airing some of the World Championships on television. Note that I used the word “some.” I’ve been told “portions” of the competition will be on the CBC network and, if I had to guess, most of that will probably be on Saturday, when the public broadcaster normally airs a large chunk of amateur sports content during the afternoon (not a chance it’s bumping aside Hockey Night in Canada, by the way).

Beyond that … we’ll have to wait and see.

The entire event will be streaming on CBC platforms (cbcsports.ca, CBC Gem), most likely by taking the ISU’s feed (which usually features the excellent Mark Hanretty). Keep an eye on the CBC’s website for the exact times and schedule for the broadcasts, yet to be finalized by the ISU.

2024 Worlds coverage on CBC TV - Saturday March 23 4:00 p.m. CBC Sports: ISU World Figure Skating Championships - Montreal: https://www.cbc.ca/sports/streaming-schedule?sport=Figure+Skating

Last edited:

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
Well, I'll be missing the first group of the women's SP and possibly a bit of the 2nd group, but that's a sacrifice I'm willing to make since the alternative would be missing the last groups of the Men's SP and Dance RD on Thu/Friday and that ain't happenin'.

Parsley Sage

Well, heck, I need to reschedule my doctor's follow up appt since I'm not missing any of Worlds. I thought I selected a time that was in the window between the Pairs SP and Women's SP but it turns out not quite.
I just got off the phone with my dentist's office to reschedule an appointment. They offered me an appointment at the start of the Pairs FP and then one at the start of the Dance RD. I said I couldn't do that week.

Sonata

CBC will not be airing most of this, sounds like, even though the time zone works so well! What if Deanna and Max medal or even win earlier in the week? 40-year-old woman doing a comeback pairs up with Quebec man and they now have the chance to skate before a home crowd? The TV underdog story writes itself.

I hope CBC makes the live stream obvious this time.

4rkidz

plotting, planning and travelling
CBC will not be airing most of this, sounds like, even though the time zone works so well! What if Deanna and Max medal or even win earlier in the week? 40-year-old woman doing a comeback pairs up with Quebec man and they now have the chance to skate before a home crowd? The TV underdog story writes itself.

Unlike Canadians it’s the world feed from the rink so decent equipment and light and cameras etc so much better quality.

skatingguy

decently

I wouldn't be using the CBC for coverage of skating. It's not clear at this point where it will be available in Canada, but based on everything else this season it will Skate Canada's DailyMotion channel, or the ISU YouTube channel using a VPN.

skatingguy

decently

Sylvia

TBD
2024 Worlds coverage on CBC TV - Saturday March 23 4:00 p.m. CBC Sports: ISU World Figure Skating Championships - Montreal: https://www.cbc.ca/sports/streaming-schedule?sport=Figure+Skating
The SP/RD start times (presumably for streaming) now are added at the link above.

Colored schedule (as of March 3): https://results.isu.org/schedules/WC2024_ColouredTimeSchedule.pdf

ETA: Eastern time/Montreal will "spring forward" 1 hour on Sunday, March 10, 2024 (2:00 --> 3:00 am).

Last edited:

MLIS

Just a note to those who are attending, they have announced that the state funeral for Brian Mulroney, former prime minister of Canada who died last week, will be in Montreal on Saturday, March 23. I can't find any details yet about locations or routes, but just be aware that there may be road closures, increased police presence, bigger crowds, etc.

victorskid

Happily ignoring ultracrepidarians (& trolls)!
Just a note to those who are attending, they have announced that the state funeral for Brian Mulroney, former prime minister of Canada who died last week, will be in Montreal on Saturday, March 23. I can't find any details yet about locations or routes, but just be aware that there may be road closures, increased police presence, bigger crowds, etc.
I would think that it might be at Mary Queen of the World Cathedral which is within blocks of the Bell Centre but it could also be at Notre-Dame Basilica where the funeral for the father of our current Prime Minister was held in 2000 (and were Celine Dion was married).

Last edited:

Former Lurve Goddess

I would think that it might be at Mary Queen of the World Cathedral which is within blocks of the Bell Centre but it could also be at Notre-Dame Basilica where the funeral for the father of our current Prime Minister was held in 2000 (and were Celine Dion was married).
The Cathedral is probably easier for motorcades and hotel access so it does seem like the most likely location. As an aside, I was there today to light some candles and it’s worth a visit. The design is based on St Peter’s Basilica in Rome and has a rather interesting history.

kalamalka

The Atwater Market is cool too and is pretty close to downtown.
I prefer Jean Talon, but as a lover of markets I always try to get to one of them when I'm in Montreal. [when I was living in Ottawa, even though Byward Market is good and was close to where I lived - and actually more or less on my bike route between my job and apartment - I made a couple of weekend day trips to Montreal just to go to Jean Talon].

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information