2024 World Figure Skating Championships in Montreal

Lana K

In mourning for Kaori's 2022-2023 season hair
How much snirt is left in the city? I’m debating which boots to bring and based on the lack of snow, I’m tempted to wear my Allbirds.

No snow on the sidewalks at the moment. I’ve been walking around in sneakers this weekend, but might be better to check in again closer to Worlds? We could definitely get more big downfalls between now and then.

Judy

How much snirt is left in the city? I’m debating which boots to bring and based on the lack of snow, I’m tempted to wear my Allbirds.
It’s best to look closer to the date. I’m in Ottawa not Montreal .. weather can def be unpredictable too.

Judy

We're heading towards double digits in early March which almost certainly means that it will be below -20 by the time Worlds comes around.
It’s kinda impossible to look at weather a few weeks from now 🤣. It could be .. it might not be 🤷‍♀️🤣.

I’ve woken up to many surprises before after looking at the forecast the night before this winter.

victorskid

Happily ignoring ultracrepidarians (& trolls)!
We're heading towards double digits in early March which almost certainly means that it will be below -20 by the time Worlds comes around.
I am predicting something significant about March 9-10 in Ottawa - I had taken myself off the schedule at my church for January & February so that I wouldn't be unable to get there due to weather problems. As it turns out there has been no such problems. My first Sunday back on the schedule is March 10th....

Judy

I am predicting something significant about March 9-10 in Ottawa - I had taken myself off the schedule at my church for January & February so that I wouldn't be unable to get there due to weather problems. As it turns out there has been no such problems. My first Sunday back on the schedule is March 10th....
Guaranteed if you are returning to work 🤣.

skatingguy

decently
Yes. The forecast for that weekend is for a mix of rain & snow which almost certainly means there will be some freezing rain as well.

Judy

Thank you for that "encouragement" :D
Impossible to know weather that far in advance 🙄. Not sure what @skatingguy is even looking at 🤣.

Today in Ottawa we are going up to a balmy 16 but then we have a cold front moving in Wed night It’s def been back and forth weather.

Montreal has an alert on upcoming weather. We’re expecting flash freezing too which can be very dangerous but it’s supposed to happen here during the night which is good.

Aceon6

Wrangling the duvet into the cover
@Judy I’ve been looking at the Accuweather 15 day and 45 day projections. The reason I asked about snirt (the combo of snow and dirt still remaining several weeks after a storm) is that I have several boot choices. With minimal snirt, a low boot will do.

Debbie S

No matter the weather outside, inside the arena will have Kaitlin Hawayek as the arena DJ. :)

Rukia

A Southern, hot-blooded temperamental individual
No matter the weather outside, inside the arena will have Kaitlin Hawayek as the arena DJ. :)

oh this is very very cool!

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?

Fantastic news for Kaitlin! Good move by Skate Canada!

marbri

Hey, Kool-Aid!
Kind of sad I am not going to this now with the new announcements :(
Already have three trips to Canada on the books this year (one of which will be last minute $$$) that I didn't even entertain this event.

But have fun to those who are going, sounds like the skating outside competition and Kaitlin the DJ are going to do their best to get some energy into the building :D

thvu

Usova's Apprentice
I'm not surprised at all by the lackluster sales. I was thinking of doing a last minute weekend trip to go to Worlds, but the ticket prices pretty much priced me out. Mr. thvu and I are DINKs too, so the cost for a family to attend would just be insane. Our flights roundtrip from a Florida regional airport would be cheaper than two tickets for Fri & Sat!

The value proposition for local families just isn't there. "Come see the best the US & Europe has to offer!" or "Come see if Romsky makes the Free Skate!" probably aren't the selling points that will get families shell out $2000+ for tickets.

Former Lurve Goddess

I'm not surprised at all by the lackluster sales. I was thinking of doing a last minute weekend trip to go to Worlds, but the ticket prices pretty much priced me out. Mr. thvu and I are DINKs too, so the cost for a family to attend would just be insane. Our flights roundtrip from a Florida regional airport would be cheaper than two tickets for Fri & Sat!

The value proposition for local families just isn't there. "Come see the best the US & Europe has to offer!" or "Come see if Romsky makes the Free Skate!" probably aren't the selling points that will get families shell out $2000+ for tickets.
I think it's a shame that they aren't selling individual event tickets, along with single day tickets. Some casual fans might be happy to just attend just one event (ie the Free Dance!). Speaking as a marketing/comms/publicity person, the promo for this event has been terrible. Due to the bilingual nature of Montreal, there needed to be different approaches in terms of attracting Francophones and Anglophones, as well as the multicultural communities of Montreal (often known as "Allophones).

honey

It the biggest NHL sized arena in North America (21,000 seats.)

They never had a prayer of selling it out.

But yes, I’m sure the marketing could have been way better.

It’s embarrassing honestly though that they can’t even get a reasonable amount of the lower bowl filled? There are two decks beyond the lower bowl, not sure what % of the 21,000 seats are in those upper decks.

There can’t be more than 50% of the lower bowl sold for the weekdays. Maybe less than that when you consider how much is blocked off anyway for judges and K&C. Saturday is better, but still the majority of the ends available still.

I know I mentioned this before, but having Hanyu as a built in block of ticket buyers was probably helping sales in 2020. I don’t remember off hand what sales were like in 2020, but I don’t recall it being this low a month out. Of course a lot has changed in the world since then, but it’s still disheartening that it doesn’t look like much effort has been put into trying to fill the stands for this. I feel bad for the skaters who are going to skate at worlds in a half empty rink.

skategal

Bunny mama
It’s embarrassing honestly though that they can’t even get a reasonable amount of the lower bowl filled? There are two decks beyond the lower bowl, not sure what % of the 21,000 seats are in those upper decks.

There can’t be more than 50% of the lower bowl sold for the weekdays. Maybe less than that when you consider how much is blocked off anyway for judges and K&C. Saturday is better, but still the majority of the ends available still.

I know I mentioned this before, but having Hanyu as a built in block of ticket buyers was probably helping sales in 2020. I don’t remember off hand what sales were like in 2020, but I don’t recall it being this low a month out. Of course a lot has changed in the world since then, but it’s still disheartening that it doesn’t look like much effort has been put into trying to fill the stands for this. I feel bad for the skaters who are going to skate at worlds in a half empty rink.
The marketing strategy is off for sure.

They would have been better off lowering the prices of lower bowl a bit to get the die-hard fans to grab those first and make it look fuller.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information