Just call me Harry. (Everything Harry & Meghan)

Status
Not open for further replies.

canbelto

I think William is afraid of black people. That was really obvious in his tour to the Caribbean.

JJH

My own perspective. I don't see any reason to believe that William is uncomfortable with black people. I do think that William often appears tense and self-conscious in some formal duties. I believe William tries hard to represent The Firm in what he considers a dignified manner. He seems relaxed and happy with Kate and the kids in their public appearances.

Charles and Diana's catastrophic marriage and public messy affairs followed by Diana's early tragic death had a profound impact on both Harry and William. Harry expresses many personal emotions which initially endeared him to the public, but later enraged them when they didn't approve of how he felt. William seems to repress the expression of who he is as an individual. Harry and William are opposite extremes.

"Never complain, Never explain" is a mantra never recommended by any mental health care professional ever.

canbelto

I think the Caribbean tour was such a disaster bc W&K seemed so scared of the people. They would only shake hands through a fence, have a parade standing in an armored car, and only light skinned ppl greeted them at every engagement. That fear was obvious.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
I think the Caribbean tour was such a disaster bc W&K seemed so scared of the people. They would only shake hands through a fence, have a parade standing in an armored car, and only light skinned ppl greeted them at every engagement. That fear was obvious.

They were visiting countries where there has been serious discussion of leaving the Commonwealth. It makes sense to have that level of security if they're visiting where they might not be welcomed.

skategal

Bunny mama
I don't think wild and outrageous are the right words. More like arrogant, stuffy, and stodgy.
I would add intense and trying to prove a point which would hopefully mellow with age.

They don’t call it the “F-it 40s” for nothing. :rofl:

canbelto

None of this is true.

It is all very true. There were numerous articles about how disastrous the tour was and how horrible the optics were of the engagements W&K chose.

If you think about it, neither of them have probably ever been around black people. They both went to extremely elite, white boarding schools. They live among extremely elite, white aristocrats.

Buckingham Palace banned black people from even working in the palace:

MacMadame

Doing all the things

That case was about hiring practices in the 60s. Just exactly when do you think William and Kate were born? :lol:

I am sure they aren't around a lot of Black people but you don't do your argument any favors with these easily disproved exaggerations.

canbelto

That case was about hiring practices in the 60s. Just exactly when do you think William and Kate were born? :lol:

I am sure they aren't around a lot of Black people but you don't do your argument any favors with these easily disproved exaggerations.

According to the most recent stats, only 8.5% of BP workers are minorities:

There's also talk that W&K deliberately prevented their children from seeing Lilibet this trip.

MsZem

I see the sea
If you think about it, neither of them have probably ever been around black people. They both went to extremely elite, white boarding schools. They live among extremely elite, white aristocrats.
I'm going to venture a guess that between their time at St. Andrews and William's service in the military, the Cambridges have been among people who are not white aristocrats.

There's a lot of stuff about William that seems to be grounded in gossip and assumptions rather than concrete, verified reporting.

mella

It is all very true. There were numerous articles about how disastrous the tour was and how horrible the optics were of the engagements W&K chose.

The optics were problematic in a number of cases and as I've said the brf need to sort themselves out. But that does not equate to any evidence of W&K being scared.

Have they likely spent substantial time around black or other ethnic minorities on a relatively equal footing? Probably not. But the sort of hyperbole that creates a narrative of fear without any evidence really doesn't help the specific or the wider conversation.

I imagine there may have been fear around the tour being poorly received and unsuccessful. Because the BRF is very focused on how things look.
I'm going to venture a guess that between their time at St. Andrews and William's service in the military, the Cambridges have been among people who are not white aristocrats.

There's a lot of stuff about William that seems to be grounded in gossip and assumptions rather than concrete, verified reporting.
Neither of those institutions perform especially well terms of ethnic representation. And the RF as an employer is below both of those (although the data wasn't all from the same year). St Andrews was actually better than I expected and the military worst.

But I'm going to throw out a stereotypical statement and suggest that Kate's degree in particular probably wasn't helping St Andrews weight on those figures. I haven't gone digging by faculty or course.

All that said all three perform significantly better in representation compared to my industry and I've never met someone who I thought was scared of black people. People with problematic attitudes and potentially racist? Yes. Scared (in the physical sense)? No.

Judy

I’ll be extremely sad when the Queen passes. She is looking so frail. I’ll likely cry.

screech

I'm a bit surprised that both children are red heads. A friend told me that she hoped her child would be a red head as red heads are dying out because the genes are recessive. Either she was mistaken or it has something to do with who traits are passed on from.
My mom and I are/were both blondes, but nowhere in either side of her family (or my dad's) are there natural blondes. I think that her Scottish father's family's red hair and her Italian mother's family's brown hair somehow cancelled each other out to create us, the only 2 natural blondes in the entire family. I always wanted to have red hair, but with zero red pigmentation my hair just will not hold red. When I've gotten red highlights done (professionally) they turn blonde within a couple of weeks. So it's not worth the $ to maintain red, as much as I covet it.

And highly unusual. Her hair looks like it will get darker as she gets older, though.
Despite our natural colour, my mom and I are the same. My hair now is somewhere between dark blonde and brown. I call it 'literally dirty blonde' because without any colour in it, it just looks greasy. And my mom keeps wanting her hair to turn grey, but instead it keeps getting darker.

Um, Princess Martha Louise of Norway just got engaged:

ETA: I also feel obliged to note that Crown Prince Haakon of Norway married a single mom with a partying past, Crown Princess Victoria of Sweden married her personal trainer, her brother married a former glamour model/reality TV contestant, and Queen Maxima of the Netherlands couldn't have her father at her wedding because he was a minister in Argentina's junta government. That's not at all boring!
And Sweden's Princess Madeleine married an American Banker who refused Swedish titles and citizenship (I remember reading somewhere it's speculated that he refused the citizenship and titles as he would have to disclose or close his off-shore accounts? Something sort of 'scandalous' along those lines). And not as scandalous, but their father, King Carl Gustaf, married a German interpreter he met at the Munich Olympics. Considering his father married his second cousin, and his father kept it in the royal family by marrying one of Queen Victoria's kids, it's nice to see the more recent generations breaking the general marriage traditions and marrying 'commoners' for love.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
There's also talk that W&K deliberately prevented their children from seeing Lilibet this trip.

Are you presenting that as some kind of proof of racism? Because if it's true maybe it's just because the brothers are not getting along. Not "must keep the white kids away from the part-black kids".

taf2002

Fluff up your tutu & dance away.....
Are you presenting that as some kind of proof of racism? Because if it's true maybe it's just because the brothers are not getting along. Not "must keep the white kids away from the part-black kids".
I've read many articles that said W&K did not let their kids meet the Sussexes this trip.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
I've read many articles that said W&K did not let their kids meet the Sussexes this trip.

I would believe or not believe those articles depending on the source. But even if they didn't, that's not proof that W&K are racist.

taf2002

Fluff up your tutu & dance away.....
I would believe or not believe those articles depending on the source. But even if they didn't, that's not proof that W&K are racist.
That never occurred to me. I thought it was because they are still angry.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
The OP said they weren't allowed to meet Lilibet. Which I found sus. Why just her?

And all you people who were scolding the Sussuxes because they are depriving their children of some amazing bonding with their cousins may have to rethink that.

mattiecat13

I think the trust between Harry/William was mortally damaged by the Oprah interview. And I can't blame William for keeping his distance in case any interaction between the brothers ends up in another interview or in Harry's upcoming book.

I was thrilled when Harry married Meg but they lost me when they did the Oprah tell-all. The situation makes me sad, though.

Judy

I think the trust between Harry/William was mortally damaged by the Oprah interview. And I can't blame William for keeping his distance in case any interaction between the brothers ends up in another interview or in Harry's upcoming book.

I was thrilled when Harry married Meg but they lost me when they did the Oprah tell-all. The situation makes me sad, though.
I think they’ll resolve it at some point. I don’t believe it’s mortal. Families need to work out their own stuff. Even royalty.

puglover

Meghan and Gloria Steinem were interviewed by British Vogue about the recent Supreme Court decision on abortion. https://www.vogue.co.uk/arts-and-lifestyle/article/meghan-markle-gloria-steinem-abortion-rights
In the give and take of relinquishing their role as working royals representing the Queen, Meghan gained the ability (if that is the right word) to speak out on issues that are important to her, something I assume she greatly values. Also of note, she has received such a large platform from which to be heard as a result of marrying into the BRF, not because she was an American actress. I think Harry and Meghan can live their own lives and truly be voices for good if they turn their focus away from family politics and resist the media's who slighted who game and speak out judiciously on matters they care about.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information