Foods/Drinks You Have Tried and NEVER AGAIN!

skateycat

One of Nature's Non-Spinners
I myself love and am addicted to coffee, but I have a friend who is disgusted by the smell of coffee.

I stayed at her house a couple of days, and it was hard to both get my needed coffee and keep it away from her.

Oh I forgot coffee!

There are other things I don't like that I don't seek out but if they are fed to me, I deal.

Finnice

Marzipan. I like almonds, but not marzipan. Luckily, Mr. Finnice loves it, so if I get some as a present, he takes care of it.

Elka

Sea urchin. It was in Tokyo in March 1994 in a very fine and expensive restaurant so it was not the way it was prepared.

Bellanca

Rattlesnake. 🐍 Kind of taste like chicken, but it's the thought, you know?

ETA: also, not a fan of black licorice at all. 🤢 I know some people love the stuff, but I'll take a hard pass. 🤷‍♀️

Last edited:

Cachoo

Almond Joy/ I like fresh coconut but I hate the texture when it is in candy or cake. Blech.

Spiralgraph

Peas. Their smell, their taste. Yuk. I like most vegetables but I loathe peas. As a child I ate some at my mom's insistence and promptly ran to the bathroom and threw up. My parents never made me eat them again.

Rob

Beach Bum
There is very little I won't eat, but I prefer not to eat lima beans, cooked/frozen peas (raw is good), chicken livers or gizzards, sweetbreads, tripe, haggis, things like pigs or chicken feet (but ok if it is just in soup), sea urchin, and big, musky west coast oysters (I love smaller east coast oysters like PEI, Blue point, Wellfleet, Chincoteague), and the Century egg. I doubt I will ever eat durian. I doubt I will ever drink baijiu again because it is just so strong, but I have to admit it grew on me when I was in China decades ago. I am fortunate to have the choice of what I eat, but if it is put in front of me by a host, I will probably find a way to eat/drink it.

orbitz

Cuy (guinea pig).

- I ordered it when I was in Cuzco in 2009. I think the oil used to fry the critter was bad. I remembered there was a funny taste while eating it. An hour later I threw up in the sidewalk in full day light teaming with people. I then spent the rest of the night with severe cramp and gluing my butt next to the hotel toilet throwing up.

Fermented mare milk.

Last edited:

sk9tingfan

Tongue, I think it was beef tongue, my mother made it about 4 times per year, served w mustard sauce. YUK.
ITA. Several years ago, I asked my mother why she made it since I used to retch when my parents would force me to eat it. She said that she ran out of things to make for dinner. Ugh.

Impromptu

Sekret Custom Title
There's a lot of "regular" foods that I don't like, including bananas, peppers, and peas. But in terms of weird foods that I have tried and will never eat again: Yak.

sk9tingfan

Root beer.
Seems to be an American acquired taste. I've noticed some Europeans liken it to the mouthwash used in dentists' offices. I remember drinking an A&W root beer float for the first time that was magical in Southern California almost 50 years ago.

sk9tingfan

Oysters - YUK! Thought those would be a good idea at a dinner party. WRONG! And I was pregnant. Slimy little ba$tard$
Oysters may have contributed greatly to me becoming a Jew.....they are forbidden, as well they should be!!
New meaning and emphasis to the word TRAIFE!

Cachoo

There is very little I won't eat, but I prefer not to eat lima beans, cooked/frozen peas (raw is good), chicken livers or gizzards, sweetbreads, tripe, haggis, things like pigs or chicken feet (but ok if it is just in soup), sea urchin, and big, musky west coast oysters (I love smaller east coast oysters like PEI, Blue point, Wellfleet, Chincoteague), and the Century egg. I doubt I will ever eat durian. I doubt I will ever drink baijiu again because it is just so strong, but I have to admit it grew on me when I was in China decades ago. I am fortunate to have the choice of what I eat, but if it is put in front of me by a host, I will probably find a way to eat/drink it.

Rob...I'm getting something of an education reading your post. :)

Reactions: Rob

once_upon

Better off than 2020
Seems to be an American acquired taste. I've noticed some Europeans liken it to the mouthwash used in dentists' offices. I remember drinking an A&W root beer float for the first time that was magical in Southern California almost 50 years ago.
I don't like root beer, not even as a root beer float.
When my kids were little and I would let them order root, they used to switch my diet coke glass with root beer just to see my reaction.
Which included gagging and shivering.

Susan1

Root beer.
The couple times I ever had a taste of someone else's, it left a film on the roof of my mouth. I always got cream soda floats at the Root Beer Stande.
Kind of taste like chicken, but it's the thought, you know?
Didn't copy the part of the quote that said "rattle-----". However, why is it all the weird things people want you to eat, they say it tastes like chicken. Just eat chicken then.

I don't like a lot of stuff, so I haven't really tried something and then never eaten it again. I've never "tried" anything I didn't think I would like. I was tricked into eating deer. Someone said it was steak. I took one bite, and said it tasted like rotten steak, and then they told me what it was.

Well, I just remembered - my aunt made me take three bites of sweet potatoes (Girl Scout rule) when I was staying there. Never again.

Have I told this story somewhere else here? I can't eat the pink wafer cookies because we had them in pre-school the day of vaccinations and I threw up (TMI). From the vaccination, not the cookies that I always loved before (pink!). I still get dizzy and a squiggly stomach if I walk by them in the cookie aisle in the store - for over 50 years. The back of my head hurts now just thinking about it. Bye.........

Bellanca

Didn't copy the part of the quote that said "rattle-----". However, why is it all the weird things people want you to eat, they say it tastes like chicken. Just eat chicken then.
Not having made a habit of consuming rattlesnake, we had no idea what in the world it might taste like or what to expect. It was an appetizer served with horseradish and not the main course. It had a very subtle chicken-like taste, but I would say closer to not. It's hard to explain what it really did taste like, tbh. This was many years ago, and of course, I haven't had it since my mischievous and daredevil cousin said, "oh, we have to try this!" A glass of wine later, there it was.

kalamalka

Eel. Oysters (don't like the texture, taste or smell). Any type of runny eggs - my mom made me sit at the table once until I ate a soft boiled egg, even though I hated them. It took a couple of hours. I ate it, threw up, and have never had one again. I also dislike milk - tried a glass again in my 30s to see if I could drink it, but no. I use dairy in cooking, and love almost any cheese.

Japanfan

Not having made a habit of consuming rattlesnake, we had no idea what in the world it might taste like or what to expect. It was an appetizer served with horseradish and not the main course. It had a very subtle chicken-like taste, but I would say closer to not.

I had it once at a restaurant called 'The Rattlesnake Grill'. I don't remember actually what it tasted like, but it was good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information