The Shibutanis Thread Cinco...Mambo!

Cayuse

It has been such a fun ride watching Maia and Alex grow up, perservere and take the reins of their own skating career. To earn two Olympic medals was definitely a dream come true for them and all of us "Believers". Thank you to Maia and Alex for the excitement of skating well and also for the glances into their personal family life. So many new opportunities will be available to them post Olympics that skating might take a back seat for awhile. They reached their Paradise in excellent fashion and may decide to set goals in new directions we haven't even imagined. :)

VGThuy

Maia now has over 300K followers on Instagram, trailing behind Adam Rippon of the current Olympic figure skating team. I think the only figure skaters (both domestically and internationally) who have a higher count than her right now are Meryl Davis, Gracie Gold, Adam Rippon, and Johnny Weir on IG. Not bad for one-half of an ice dance team that won two bronzes rather than a gold medal.

chapis

Maia now has over 300K followers on Instagram, trailing behind Adam Rippon of the current Olympic figure skating team. I think the only figure skaters (both domestically and internationally) who have a higher count than her right now are Meryl Davis, Gracie Gold, Adam Rippon, and Johnny Weir on IG. Not bad for one-half of an ice dance team that won two bronzes rather than a gold medal.

It is amazing, I think they have doubled the number of followers they had before the games, Alex is close as well.

But really? NBC did not upload their fd, right? we just have fan cam https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttRe08giXQs&t=38s

And I love this http://theyoungprinceandprincess.tu...5/miyaharasatoko-of-course-the-one-thing-some

VGThuy

Their whole demeanor throughout this Olympics has been so different from what I'm used to. It's like a heavy weight had been lifted off of their shoulders. I think holding on to that no. 1 U.S. spot for two seasons took a big toll on them considering how competitive it was domestically for them and they somehow managed to stop worrying about that after their GPF and Nationals skates. I do think things were tense for all three American teams because they had to deal domestically with high competition that many of their international rivals did not have to deal with (not to undermine how much stress and pressure that they themselves had internationally). It's like they and this Olympic Games just clicked and this was really their moment. Now that they have two medals, they just seem so free. If they continue to compete after this season, I have a feeling we'll be seeing a freer Maia and Alex out there on the ice.

VGThuy

I think if the Shibs do DWTS I can see the judges fawning over Maia's posture and line, especially if she gets to do a waltz. Not sure if the TV audiences will be into that as much though but who cares? Alex meanwhile would be such a ham and I think play to the television voters very well. I usually don't care about DWTS or shows like that but I think the prospect of seeing Maia and Alex performing in front of my television in a different capacity would be so fun to watch.

Spun Silver

I think if the Shibs do DWTS I can see the judges fawning over Maia's posture and line, especially if she gets to do a waltz. Not sure if the TV audiences will be into that as much though but who cares? Alex meanwhile would be such a ham and I think play to the television voters very well. I usually don't care about DWTS or shows like that but I think the prospect of seeing Maia and Alex performing in front of my television in a different capacity would be so fun to watch.
I think also since the Shib Family Archive has been such a hit, and since a lot of the world has been awakened to Sibling Power, DWTS could milk both of those for the "awww" factor.

chapis

Well, i just can to think how uncomfortable would be for them to dance with other people and you know, she/he is not your sibling, people will wait other thing. Sure, it would be interesting but if I was them, I would be like " this is so awkward " :lol::slinkaway

Spun Silver

Well, i just can to think how uncomfortable would be for them to dance with other people and you know, she/he is not your sibling, people will wait other thing. Sure, it would be interesting but if I was them, I would be like " this is so awkward " :lol::slinkaway
I don't see that at all. Did you see Meryl and Maks? I think they could do ballroom with new partners just fine. It could be fascinating and really bring out their ability to perform.

chapis

I don't see that at all. Did you see Meryl and Maks? I think they could do ballroom with new partners just fine. It could be fascinating and really bring out their ability to perform.

Definitely it would be benefical for their dancing and artistic skills. Do you remember Adelina on that dancing tv show?, she got better after that, unfortunately her injuries did not let continue competing at 100%

VGThuy

What if Maia and Alex are seriously good with other partners? I wonder if it’ll make people talk about the limitations of a brother/sister team again.

VGThuy

I wanted to share this sweet moment between Scott/Tessa and the Shibs:

https://twitter.com/stcrgirls/status/966698401965342720

I can't help but think of them like family even though V/M and the Shibs probably didn't interact that much while they were training together and Maia and Alex seem closer to Meryl/Charlie. I remember that sweet moment at 2011 Worlds when Scott/Tessa received their scores and Scott looked up and saw that Maia/Alex were in second and screamed "Alex and Maia!" and excitedly showed Tessa that they were medaling.

gk_891

I wanted to share this sweet moment between Scott/Tessa and the Shibs:

https://twitter.com/stcrgirls/status/966698401965342720

I can't help but think of them like family even though V/M and the Shibs probably didn't interact that much while they were training together and Maia and Alex seem closer to Meryl/Charlie. I remember that sweet moment at 2011 Worlds when Scott/Tessa received their scores and Scott looked up and saw that Maia/Alex were in second and screamed "Alex and Maia!" and excitedly showed Tessa that they were medaling.

That was sweet.

VGThuy

It looks like the Shibs YouTube channel hit 100K subscribers (at 120K now). YouTube congratulated them. I remember back in 2012 I watched their first "Friday" video with Adam thinking how cute they were. I had no idea it would lead to all of this. They worked seriously hard on their content for the vlogs and kept going while still training among other things. It takes a lot of hard work and discipline to keep a hobby like that up and as consistently as they have.

Kuurisu

I remember that sweet moment at 2011 Worlds when Scott/Tessa received their scores and Scott looked up and saw that Maia/Alex were in second and screamed "Alex and Maia!" and excitedly showed Tessa that they were medaling.
is there a video of that? i would to see it :2faced:

VGThuy

Another congrats to the Shibs. Not only are they the only Americans (so far unless something has changed since last I heard) to win more than one medal at these Olympics, but they're the only Americans to win an individual medal among the Americans in figure skating, just like at 2017 Worlds.

gk_891

Another congrats to the Shibs. Not only are they the only Americans (so far unless something has changed since last I heard) to win more than one medal at these Olympics, but they're the only Americans to win an individual medal among the Americans in figure skating, just like at 2017 Worlds.

Hey, you're right. That's a great accomplishment for them.

chapis

:cheer2::40beers:. Their sponsors must be so happy that they made a great choice with them :D.

Rukia

A Southern, hot-blooded temperamental individual
Mikaela Shiffrin got a second medal yesterday, and so did Jamie Anderson. They're in a small group though.

chapis

Awww! "I love my baby sister!" Perfect pair from the get go! :) :) :)

I know, he was so sweet, it does not even seem that his parents were pushing him like some parents usually do, even he himself asked them to hold her :swoon:. I almost kill my little sister when I met her :shuffle:, in my defense, I am just one year older :p.

in the comments section, someone says: Alex "i wanna carry her!" , if only he knew. :eek::lol::wuzrobbed

Last edited:

VGThuy

We have about 12 more posts until the next thread (I'm sure whoever makes the new thread will provide links to the previous threads thanks to Sylvia for providing the links). How does "Paradise Found" sound? Or maybe ditch the Paradise motif and move on to something else.

Kuurisu

It’s not super clear but if you pay attention you can hear it at the very end of this video of their 2011 world’s FD

https://youtu.be/nIIM6FowjPQ

Lol, I went looking for it too when I read VGT’s comment.
thank you^^
-----
went looking at skaters' achievements and was happy to see how many times the shibs appeared.
https://images2.imgbox.com/c6/c2/XuyeMGug_o.png
https://images2.imgbox.com/03/4e/6eSZQ482_o.png
https://images2.imgbox.com/76/4b/b3bFcXoI_o.png
:cheer2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information