Spin Features Thread

On My Own

Continued from here: https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/th...iculty-guidelines-for-marking-goe-pcs.110680/

I hope to see some of the requests for the features answered here (like @vu2019 was saying they'd give me an example of camel transitioning to layback), and collecting examples of some of the rarer features.

Acceleration used to be rare, now it's somewhat more common after it became part of the list of features necessary in a level 4 spin. I have never yet thought it's looked bad, unmusical, or out of place, so hope to see more using it. Would like to see difficult exit entirely out of the list - 5 features in the list for three spins in a program are enough.

On My Own

Can someone explain to me why Farris' combo spin only seems to have received level 2?

Going by the underlining, seems difficult change of position was introduced that season. Farris attempts:

1. Clear change of edge on camel
2. Difficult sit position (I think broken leg was still considered a difficult variation in 2015*)
3. Difficult upright position
4. Difficult change of position on same foot (upright to sit)
5. Difficult sit position

*even if not, still 4 features, and/or still confused as to why it's not level 3.

But he only got a level 2. https://skatingscores.com/1415/natusa/sr/men/i/short/usa/joshua_farris/

Why? eta: @gkelly

Last edited:

Bird

Continued from here: https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/th...iculty-guidelines-for-marking-goe-pcs.110680/

I hope to see some of the requests for the features answered here (like @vu2019 was saying they'd give me an example of camel transitioning to layback), and collecting examples of some of the rarer features.

Acceleration used to be rare, now it's somewhat more common after it became part of the list of features necessary in a level 4 spin. I have never yet thought it's looked bad, unmusical, or out of place, so hope to see more using it. Would like to see difficult exit entirely out of the list - 5 features in the list for three spins in a program are enough.
I found this site - it’s more something to explain combination spins for fans/non experts. But it does mention one camel transitioning to a layback…

Bird

Unfortunately, the link isn't working for me. I can enter the website, but cannot access the camel to layback video.
I can’t get the Sarah Broxterman video to play either unfortunately. Here’s someone else doing the combo.

On My Own

I don't think that would be considered a difficult transition. Just a simple (even if very neat and clean) transition between the two positions.

Bird

I don't think that would be considered a difficult transition. Just a simple (even if very neat and clean) transition between the two positions.
I’m a non-skater so I can’t confirm, but that YouTube video is from 14 years ago and I couldn’t find any more recent versions. Maybe it isn’t scored highly and isn’t done much anymore? But someone who knows more could confirm. It looked like Sarah Broxterman also did a sit spin with hers, but I couldn’t find the video.

flyingsit

I would love to see a feature for clearly changing positions within 1 revolution.

On My Own

I don't think this was a feature during this (2017-18) season, but it was during the 2010-2013 seasons? "All 3 basic positions on both feet". I'm not sure it was rare as much as just sloppy most of the time it was done, but Kostner's choreography here is nice and flowing between the camel to sit on the first foot, and then to sit to upright on the second foot.

Have to add one of the first instances of acceleration I'd seen:

LilJen

Reaching out with my hand sensitively
Can someone explain to me why Farris' combo spin only seems to have received level 2?

Going by the underlining, seems difficult change of position was introduced that season. Farris attempts:

1. Clear change of edge on camel
2. Difficult sit position (I think broken leg was still considered a difficult variation in 2015*)
3. Difficult upright position
4. Difficult change of position on same foot (upright to sit)
5. Difficult sit position

*even if not, still 4 features, and/or still confused as to why it's not level 3.

But he only got a level 2. https://skatingscores.com/1415/natusa/sr/men/i/short/usa/joshua_farris/

Why? eta: @gkelly
Maybe there were some positions that weren't counted because it took too long for him to truly establish the position and there weren't at least two full revolutions after the position was established?

(side note: what a gorgeous skater. Career cut too short; wish he could have completed longer.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information