Australian skating news

Status
Not open for further replies.

mag

It is the short program where Amelia is missing the minimums. It is hard to get them without a clean triple. I am sure she has been working hard on the 3S. Given how strong her 2A is, she should be able to land the sal. Of course, landing in competition is a whole other thing.

Foolhardy Ham Lint

It is the short program where Amelia is missing the minimums. It is hard to get them without a clean triple. I am sure she has been working hard on the 3S. Given how strong her 2A is, she should be able to land the sal. Of course, landing in competition is a whole other thing.

Jackson has worked so hard this year. That she is including two different triples in her senior short program, shows how serious and determined she is to get to Four Continents.

Reactions: mag

Sylvia

TBD
IMO, Senior technical element scores should be allowed to be used as minimums for Junior Worlds. If this was the case, then Amelia Jackson's 2017 Finlandia Trophy FS TES (37.50) would make her eligible for Junior Worlds.

mag

IMO, Senior technical element scores should be allowed to be used as minimums for Junior Worlds. If this was the case, then Amelia Jackson's 2017 Finlandia Trophy FS TES (37.50) would make her eligible for Junior Worlds.

Well except that the senior program has one more element so if you take out the choreographic sequence the next she doesn’t make the minimum score.

mag

I have just noticed that Amelia Jackson is scheduled to compete in the senior ladies event at the Bosphorus Cup. I suspect it is to get the 4CC minimum, but unfortunately there are only four countries represented. Am I right that there need to be five for the scores to count?

Sylvia

TBD
I have just noticed that Amelia Jackson is scheduled to compete in the senior ladies event at the Bosphorus Cup. I suspect it is to get the 4CC minimum, but unfortunately there are only four countries represented. Am I right that there need to be five for the scores to count?
She should be OK. It's a minimum of 8 singles skaters from 4 different countries for ISU World Standings ranking points to be distributed. Paging @kwanfan1818!

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
The TES minimums can be earned at any non-restricted international event, with both segments competed, minimum number of judges and a full tech panel with the required credentials and, for the tech panel, geographic distribution, plus at least two entries from two different members.

For WS points, there need to be:
  • Ladies/Men: minimum of eight (8) entries each, from at least four (4) ISU Members; (as Sylvia noted above)
     Pair Skating: minimum of five (5) entries from at least three (3) ISU Members;
     Ice Dance: minimum of six (6) entries from at least four (4) ISU Members.
If she earns the 4C's SP minimum -- she earned the FS minimum at Finlandia and missed the SP minimum there by less than 2 pts, she'd be first in the starting order of the SP, if all other skaters had WS points, or in a draw for the first spots with other unranked skaters.

Last edited:

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
She missed it by less than two points. :wuzrobbed

There should be another couple of competitions where she can try, like that Mentor Cup in early January. Hope she has another crack at it.

Sylvia

TBD
^^^ Unfortunately for Amelia Jackson, the minimum scores deadline is the same as the entry deadline -- Monday, January 1, 2018 – 20:00 h, local time Taipei City / TPE.

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
^^^ Unfortunately for Amelia Jackson, the minimum scores deadline is the same as the entry deadline -- Monday, January 1, 2018 – 20:00 h, local time Taipei City / TPE.

NOOOOOOOOOO it's early this year

I guess that sort of seals our 4CC team, then.

Matt Dodds posted a picture of himself, Paris and their coach on instagram the other day with the caption "the end of an era", which I'm guessing is as close to a formal announcement of retirement as we're going to get. I'm so sad they never made 4CCs, just once.

mag

She missed it by less than two points. :wuzrobbed

There should be another couple of competitions where she can try, like that Mentor Cup in early January. Hope she has another crack at it.

Hopefully she will get it for next year. One clean triple in the short would do it. That seems doable for her next season.

Foolhardy Ham Lint

NOOOOOOOOOO it's early this year

I guess that sort of seals our 4CC team, then.

Matt Dodds posted a picture of himself, Paris and their coach on instagram the other day with the caption "the end of an era", which I'm guessing is as close to a formal announcement of retirement as we're going to get. I'm so sad they never made 4CCs, just once.

Yes, that is correct. Matt announced his retirement on Facebook, too.

Bunny Hop

Queen of the Workaround
For anyone in Sydney, Katia and Harley are skating in their club gala tomorrow (Sunday 17th Dec) at Canterbury Ice Rink. Gala starts at 11am and they are slated to skate last, at around 12:30pm.

Bunny Hop

Queen of the Workaround
So apparently the Australian Pairs skating strategy programme reads: "recruit tiny Russian ladies and send pair to Moscow for training". :lol:

First outing at Canterbury Gala for a potential new junior pair, Karina Akopova and Hector Giotopoulos Moore. They performed a short exhibition skate. Basic split twist (single?) and throw (double only, but good height), obviously still learning pairs spin technique (but got through it), no lifts yet. Side by side jumps were well synched. Don't think they did a SBS spin.

Hector has skated singles up until now. Don't know anything about the young lady. There's quite a large height disparity at the moment, but looks like she may not be quite done growing. They didn't look too out of place skating right before Katia and Harley, so a promising start, although I understand they've only be skating together for a few months.

Last edited:

Aussie Willy

Hates both vegemite and peanut butter
That is interesting. I have judged Hector a couple of times this year. He is quite a tall skater with good skating skills and strong jumps so probably suited to pairs.

There are always more girls looking for pairs partners than guys. So why not have them come and skate for Australia. If Katya and Harley do well at worlds, they could qualify 2 spots at Worlds and Olympics in future.

Foolhardy Ham Lint

That is interesting. I have judged Hector a couple of times this year. He is quite a tall skater with good skating skills and strong jumps so probably suited to pairs.

There are always more girls looking for pairs partners than guys. So why not have them come and skate for Australia. If Katya and Harley do well at worlds, they could qualify 2 spots at Worlds and Olympics in future.

Do you know who their coaches are?

Aussie Willy

Hates both vegemite and peanut butter
I doubt it. We just don't have the participation numbers or facilities. Most skaters have to go overseas if they really want to reach the top echelons of the sport which cost money.

Foolhardy Ham Lint

I doubt it. We just don't have the participation numbers or facilities. Most skaters have to go overseas if they really want to reach the top echelons of the sport which cost money.

Aussie Willy, would you have predicted Katia & Harley's success when they paired up?

I had no idea how they would do, except the likes of Ted Barton spotted their potential very early at their first Junior Grand Prix. They improved rapidly with each competition, too.

Australia may not have the numbers. But, if the interest is there, and they have the ability to choose from an international pool of talent, I'd prefer to enjoy this current interest in Australian skating, instead of focussing on the potential negatives.

To be fair, many of the world's top skaters from smaller federations train in Russia, the United States or Canada, when limited ice time is available in their own countries.

I think it is fantastic that Alexandrovskaya & Windsor have been recognised and rewarded for their ability. Further, it is wonderful other skaters are wanting to follow in their footsteps. Pairing Hector with a Russian girl, I am sure they understand the sacrifices it will take to get to the championship level.

Great too, that the Pachins have such strong connections in Russia, that allowed such a team as A & W to form in the first place.

Skating has become such a global sport, these days it matters less where you come from, and more about developing the right talent.

Australian skaters such as Katia and Harley, Brendan Kerry, and Kailani Craine can be extremely proud of themselves and their efforts.

I, for one, will be waving the Australian flag high and proud for all of them in PyeongChang.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information