San Jose, California will host 2018 U.S. Nationals (Dec. 29, 2017 - Jan. 7, 2018)

Willin

@Carolla5501 What you saw is likely the requirement that ride-share vehicles were temporarily banned until they could work out some sort of licensing system for them (since you have to pay extra $$$ for a pass to pick up at the airport). Now rideshares are allowed, but the driver must pay extra for a displayable certificate to pick up at the airport - so technically some rideshare drivers are banned from picking up there. I totally agree with @UMBS Go Blue that Lyft is better to use than Uber. I only use Lyft right now. There are roughly equal Lyft and Uber drivers here, so there's no reason to use Uber.

Quintuple

papillon d'amour
@skatfan Got it - hope to meet you anyway!

So, after reading the past few pages, a few responses:

I was on the volunteer conference call. On the call, they said that the 2 volunteer vouchers can indeed be used for 2 different events.

And for volunteers, OK to use the shuttles between venues.

I'm confused and kinda frustrated about the shifts though. I signed up for a bunch, see 3 assigned to me on the USFSA site, which is great - that's clear; I didn't expect to get them all. Some on the phone didn't see anything on the site. So we were told that the site isn't final, and we'll get an email next week.

That explanation is fine and understandable, even if not definite.

But suddenly I got an email today from a volunteer coordinator in another group that I originally indicated I'd be interested in (I think in the original application, not the second one they had us do). Here's where I'm confused - they asked me to fill out the volunteer application again. The same one from two months ago. But then the email says to reply with the opposite - which shifts you're *not* available for.

So ... are they asking me to volunteer for another group in addition to the shifts I'm already assigned? Or am I not really assigned to the ones I see on the USFSA (second) site?

Frustrated.

ETA: Got clarification that the additional email is for additional shifts, and I don't need to repeat the application. I think it's probably the LOC vs. USFSA coordination that's causing too many conflicting messages to volunteers.

Last edited:

Carolla5501

@Carolla5501 What you saw is likely the requirement that ride-share vehicles were temporarily banned until they could work out some sort of licensing system for them (since you have to pay extra $$$ for a pass to pick up at the airport). Now rideshares are allowed, but the driver must pay extra for a displayable certificate to pick up at the airport - so technically some rideshare drivers are banned from picking up there. I totally agree with @UMBS Go Blue that Lyft is better to use than Uber. I only use Lyft right now. There are roughly equal Lyft and Uber drivers here, so there's no reason to use Uber.

No I was not referring to rideshare I was referring to shared shuttle services. They either have been banned Or have just given up. But you can get them at other airports in California. It's interesting that only this airport does not have any type of shared shuttle arrangement like Super Shuttle.

Willin

@Carolla5501 I will be flying out of SJC on the 26th, so I can see what they have there.

I'd bet since most of their business is business people getting transport provided by their company, it's not usually practical for shared shuttles. Most people I know who fly in there can't even get a hotel shuttle, so someone just picks them up! It was bad before Lyft and Uber...

acraven

It may simply be an issue of distance. The airport's not that far from the city, so taxi fare is not exorbitant. I assume that no one takes a shared-ride service unless it undercuts the taxi fare by a good bit. In the case of San Jose, any party of two would almost certainly be better off in a taxi.

Debbie S

I'll be with my mom and we'll probably just grab a taxi from the airport to the hotel. On our way home, since we're flying out very early - 6:30, so I'm thinking we'll leave for the airport around 4:30 - I was thinking of doing Uber. Any local peeps have experience with Uber at that hour? Reliable?

skatfan

So maybe everyone else figured this out already, but I hadn't - there are now Practice passes for each day from January 2 - 7 that can be printed out for the All-event ticket holders from the SAP Center site. According to Eric at the center, these were added a few days after I had printed out and downloaded the rest of my tickets. (Grrr. an email would have been nice)

Debbie S

^^ Thanks for posting, skatfan! Just printed out my passes.

For those who have been communicating with the LOC about volunteer shifts, is there a general e-mail that you have been using, or is it the USFS events address? I can't find an e-mail address on the website. I see they have a FB page, but it looks like the page was done by the SAP Center for ticket inquiries only. TIA!

Willin

@Debbie S I've been using Carrie's E-mail, but I haven't been getting any answers, so I don't know if that's the person I should be contacting or if she's just really busy.

Plusdinfo

Do-I-or-don't-I advice sought:

Instead of keeping my idea of going to San Jose in my head, I am laying it out (at least a bit) to get feedback since the event is actually starting soon.

I'm currently in LA taking acting classes, but there will be a break from that during nationals. I'd originally been quite keen on the idea of seeing nationals during an Olympic year; I've only ever seen Skate America 2013 in terms of a live competition. Now, upon reflection, I've seen Max Aaron, Jason Brown, and Adam Rippon already; I saw the Shibutanis and Hubbell/Donohue, and I'm not usually keen on Chock/Bates; and the US pairs are not my favorites. For the ladies, always hyped as the most dramatic event in the U.S., Gracie Gold is out, I've seen Ashley Wagner, and the main reason for me to go would be to hopefully see Mirai skate well, medal, and make the team. I could certainly do sightseeing in San Jose, as I love travel and have never been to that city before, and costtodrive.com says it'd be $23.24 each way, but then there's sorting out tickets (are any that are left even "good"?), accommodation (Couchsurfing, perhaps, as I like that a lot), etc. I've considered just shooting for the men's free and the women's free, but I have no nationals experience and don't know about this.

Ideas?! Thanks for any thoughts.

Cayuse

Instead of keeping my idea of going to San Jose in my head, I am laying it out (at least a bit) to get feedback since the event is actually starting soon.

I'm currently in LA taking acting classes, but there will be a break from that during nationals. I'd originally been quite keen on the idea of seeing nationals during an Olympic year; I've only ever seen Skate America 2013 in terms of a live competition. Now, upon reflection, I've seen Max Aaron, Jason Brown, and Adam Rippon already; I saw the Shibutanis and Hubbell/Donohue, and I'm not usually keen on Chock/Bates; and the US pairs are not my favorites. For the ladies, always hyped as the most dramatic event in the U.S., Gracie Gold is out, I've seen Ashley Wagner, and the main reason for me to go would be to hopefully see Mirai skate well, medal, and make the team. I could certainly do sightseeing in San Jose, as I love travel and have never been to that city before, and costtodrive.com says it'd be $23.24 each way, but then there's sorting out tickets (are any that are left even "good"?), accommodation (Couchsurfing, perhaps, as I like that a lot), etc. I've considered just shooting for the men's free and the women's free, but I have no nationals experience and don't know about this.

Ideas?! Thanks for any thoughts.
Go for as many full days as you can afford. There is nothing like seeing the competition live and especially this year with the Olympic Team on the line. There are plenty of tickets in the lower level. I would call the arena ticket office and speak to someone in person.

Aceon6

Wrangling the duvet into the cover
@Plusdinfo If you can afford it, go for at least a couple of days. There will be tickets. (Don't forget to post in the Tickets thread in Strictly Skating).

acraven

Skatfan, thanks for posting about the practice passes. I would never have known.

We do need one for January 1, though. There aren't really many opportunities to see senior practices at the SAP Center, and the ladies are practicing during the novice pattern dance, which I assume many will be skipping.

missing

Well-Known To Whom She Wonders
So maybe everyone else figured this out already, but I hadn't - there are now Practice passes for each day from January 2 - 7 that can be printed out for the All-event ticket holders from the SAP Center site. According to Eric at the center, these were added a few days after I had printed out and downloaded the rest of my tickets. (Grrr. an email would have been nice)

Thank you.

I never would have known otherwise.

Now the practice passes are all printed. Not the most efficient system I've ever encountered but it's better to have the passes than to wave the tickets at people and hope for the best.

skatfan

Thank you.

I never would have known otherwise.

Now the practice passes are all printed. Not the most efficient system I've ever encountered but it's better to have the passes than to wave the tickets at people and hope for the best.
THE only reason I knew was a gal at my church is going and her friends basically told SAP center there had to be passes. When I call about Jan 1 passes I expect they I’ll say it’s not in their contract with USFSA but our tickets do say all practices so tough.

Willin

Didn't they say the volunteers would be getting practice passes as well?
Then again I haven't heard anything from them since the in-person meeting, so...

LKR

Will anyone not be using his or her practice pass for any of January 3rd-6th? I didn't purchase an all-event package, but would like to see any senior practices that week if possible.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
You've listed about 3-5 top skaters in each discipline. There about 400 skaters competing at Nationals from Juvenile to Senior. One of the best things about a competition like Nationals is finding new skaters to enjoy.

IOW, go! :D

I found that part of the meeting confusing. I'm not sure we are getting anything but our 2 comped tickets.

Btw, I am listening to a radio station that I don't normally listen to because they are playing Christmas music and a few days ago they started advertising tickets to Nationals! There are banners on the street posts in downtown SJ too. Each one has about 4-5 skaters on it though they are hard to recognize because they were shot in studio conditions so they don't look like themselves a lot of the time!

Mrs. P

I've only ever seen Skate America 2013 in terms of a live competition. Now, upon reflection, I've seen Max Aaron, Jason Brown, and Adam Rippon already; I saw the Shibutanis and Hubbell/Donohue, and I'm not usually keen on Chock/Bates; and the US pairs are not my favorites. For the ladies, always hyped as the most dramatic event in the U.S., Gracie Gold is out, I've seen Ashley Wagner, and the main reason for me to go would be to hopefully see Mirai skate well, medal, and make the team. .

It would probably be interesting to see how those skaters you've seen at Skate America 2013 have changed and developed in their skating. I remember that both the Shibutanis and Hubbell and Donohue were less than impressive in the SD when I saw them live at 2014 Nationals. They were OK in the FD. But at 2016 Worlds, it was obvious that both teams improved greatly!

And I agree with others, it's always goods to discover new favorites too. While U.S. Pairs were not my favorite, the U.S. Pairs SP was actually one of the major highlights for me in 2014.

So yes, if you are able, you should go.

skatfan

Then again I haven't heard anything from them since the in-person meeting, so...

There was no mention of practice passes. Two tix to any event once you've completed 3 shifts.

skatfan

Will anyone not be using his or her practice pass for any of January 3rd-6th? I didn't purchase an all-event package, but would like to see any senior practices that week if possible.
I may have a day or two with no one using my extra ticket (Wednesday a definite possibility). Will know closer to the event.

A.H.Black

The reason we buy all-event packages is to have those practice passes. They are equal to gold. I hope someone might be able to accommodate you. It's always worth asking.

LKR

Thanks @skatfan let me know.

@A.H.Black It was a tough decision to forego an all-event package, but ultimately could not justify the cost for the seats I wanted. Getting a great individual ticket to my favorite event, ladies free (sec 116, row 7) and purchasing discount tickets for the short programs on TRAVELZOO sealed it for me. Plus I can't stay for dance free. But I would love to see any senior practices and hope to get that chance!

Catherine M

I don't know if this will be possible or not but the last time I went to US Nationals, I didn't have a practice pass but a couple of mornings, we went early and just showed our day ticket for that date and the usher waived us in. Note it was really early, like before 8am so before the crowd got there.

acraven

It varies from year to year, and I guess potentially from day to day and gatekeeper to gatekeeper, but it is always worth trying to use your competition ticket to get into a practice you want to see on the same day.

Your odds of finding someone willing to give up a practice pass to you are better than average this year, since there's a separate pass for each day.

A.H.Black

Just talked to Eric at SAP (very helpful guy). He is aware that there is not a practice pass for Jan 1st. As of now, the day pass for Solar Arena will be good for entrance into SAP for practices on January 1st. If the situation changes, he will try to let me know.

He also said they saw the first practice schedule today (not the one we have seen posted by Sylvia, dated 11/18). It sounds like there is an update (probably one of several coming).

Willin

@myhoneyhoney Heard nothing. Which is annoying because I need to figure out when I'm going to do my credentialing. (Because I'm pretty sure I can't do it while I'm sipping margaritas in San Diego)

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information