German Skating News - Part 3

J

Jeschke

So do we have an proof if Zoueva ever laid an eye on Mueller/Dieck or it's just Scali working with them all the time?

J

Jeschke

Yeah, thanks so much!
I like her music choices a lot; both are 2 of my favourite pieces out there, though I wished she'd chosen some up-beat-fun like her SP last season too.

Not going for the Lutz in this important season seems wise, I hope she can stay on her feet and gets her spot!

Kick ass Schott, all the way!
#teamschott

J

Jeschke

According to the article seems like her sister is searching for a partner in ice dance.

figureskatingforlife

Great choice of music for Nicole. I kinda wish she'd also go for something more sassier but whatever... go get them Nicole.

I heard that M/D do train with Zoueva but not everyday... maybe twice a week while she's very hands-on and committed to L/P everyday. But that I heard a little over a month ago before Kavita took time off.

sus2850

Well, now M/D are back in Germany anyhow. They wrote on their instagram that their three months preparation time in the US came to an end (and that they feel they learned a lot and have grown as people).

I hope Kavita and Joti can now fully prepare for the season, I keep my fingers crossed for them.

J

Jeschke

So, as Joti still seems to post from Canton, I guess they won't attend the 'test skates' tomorrow.
I don't want to be German Fed right now deciding who to send to get that spot at Nebelhorn.
:watch:

figureskatingforlife

As much as I agree that nothing should be given to L/P since the other couples improved and L/P didn't had the greatest season last season, I do think the smartest desicion for the federation is to send Kavita/Joti if they are 100% ready. They've been representing the country for the past 2 years at Worlds and the ISU Judges know them. As far as I know there's also a difference between ISU Judges and international Judges. L/P also received a Grand Prix which means that the ISU counts on them. They were the 1st couple to not get that spot at worlds and I just think it makes the most sense to send them ( ALSO politically ). Let the real battle begin when the spot is secured and every couple needs to fight for it from the very beginning.
I was wondering though... the fed announced it will be decided after the test skate right? Which means it's very important to show up and deliver... for all the dancers! Why does L/P not feel the importance to at least show parts of the program without elements? Also they have not mentioned anything about injury yet... so that it seems like they're in normal training. I understand they're the no 1 couple for the past 2 seasons but I have a feeling that there's for sure something going on behind the scenes. Marina would not just let that go. But maybe it's just me thinking to much... *laugh*

Dobre

Also they have not mentioned anything about injury yet...

Not announcing summer injuries seems to be fairly common practice. I'd assume if L&P aren't at the test skates, they aren't ready now. If L&P can be monitored and ready by Nebelhorn, then I could agree with you. Their international scoring threshold has been higher over the past two seasons. But . . .

Last season, three of L&P's four early events included major mistakes. Plus, having switched coaches to Zoueva, it is less likely that L&P will show up with Code-ready programs right off the bat. I'd feel a lot more comfortable if they could attend an event prior to Nebelhorn. It's not that Lorenz & Polizoakis couldn't show up ready. It's just that these three things--a track record for major errors early in the season, a coaching switch, and an injury--could all undermine the benefits from that record.

Meanwhile you have a young team that really wasn't competitive internationally last season, but just defeated Nazarova & Nikitin overall and had a solid debut at Lake Placid as well (ahead of Torn & Partanen and Kuzmichova & Sinicyn, whom I'd expect to be in the hunt at Nebelhorn). M&D now have two competitions under their belt for the summer, showing readiness & improvement from their own messy preseason last year. Plus they did defeat Lorenz & Polizoakis once in head-to-head competition last season, signifying that M&D aren't starting from scratch as far as proving themselves to their own federation. (In fact, this team has been competing in ISU events longer than L&P).

But the senior international-level track record isn't there.

I wouldn't want to make this decision either. We have--what--seven? dance spots.

Great Britain
Korea
Japan

A healthy & ready Lorenz & Polizoakis should fit into that top four. After that, you've got the Finns, Armenians, Czechs. Not 100% sure who Azerbaijan sends. Not sure if Hungary might throw in Yanovskaya & Lukacs just for Nebelhorn. But Muller & Dieck defeated the young Czechs & the Finns at Lake Placid. (I'd say Armenia really defeated themselves at this particular event). There's no clear sign yet that M&D are competitive with Korea and Japan.

So the question is . . . who is the safer bet? The German team with the higher scoring threshold over the past two seasons while healthy & under a different coach. A team that has defeated the Korean & Japanese teams in recent World competition. Or the healthy, upward moving young team that just defeated several of the teams likely to fight for those three or four bottom spots.

Germany should be in the mix. I expect them to make it. Healthy & ready, I wouldn't hesitate to send L&P to Nebelhorn & then let the other teams try to prove themselves over the season. But if L&P are not healthy & competition ready (and I'd really like to see them in competition to know they are competition ready), I'd go with Muller & Dieck.

Skate Canada, not the ISU, invited L&P onto the Grand Prix. IMO, it is frankly more a sign of Skate Canada's hope that L&P could lose to Soucisse & Firus than that anyone counts on L&P. It is a sign that L&P had a high enough international PB that SC could invite them.

Last edited:

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
I wouldn't want to make this decision either. We have--what--seven? dance spots.
19 spots were earned in Helsinki, and the field is 24.

• CAN 3
  • FRA 2
  • USA 3
  • RUS 2
  • ITA 2
  • ISR 1
  • DEN 1
  • POL 1
  • UKR 1
  • CHN 1
  • TUR 1
  • ESP 1
The Danes are the only ones who've conceded, having said she won't get Danish citizenship, so that should make six spots.

I don't know where Papa Boris is in getting Tkachenko Israeli citizenship. Both Olivia Smart and Kirill Khavialin have Spanish citizenship.

Dobre

I don't know where Papa Boris is in getting Tkachenko Israeli citizenship. Both Olivia Smart and Kirill Khavialin have Spanish citizenship.

Six seems like the most likely number then.

My understanding is that Spain has their place because at the very least Robledo & Fenero can go. Smart & Diaz and Hurtado & Khaliavin still need an exception to the three-years-since-they-last-competed-in-competition-for-another-federation rule. Correct?

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
Buckland last competed for GBR at the 2015 WC's, so that while she will be over a month short of the three years, the IOC can make exceptions:

From the Olympic Charter, By-law to Rule 41, paragraph 2:

A competitor who has represented one country in the Olympic Games, in continental
or regional games or in world or regional championships recognised by the relevant
IF, and who has changed his nationality or acquired a new nationality, may participate
in the Olympic Games to represent his new country provided that at least three years
have passed since the competitor last represented his former country. This period may
be reduced or even cancelled, with the agreement of the NOCs and IF concerned, by
the IOC Executive Board, which takes into account the circumstances of each case.

They might stretch it for Khaliavin, but this may be why the Fed was pushing Smart/Diaz.

ETA: Robledo/Fenero have the Olympic qualifying TES. They're .30 short of the Worlds SD minimum, but they aren't likely to be going to Worlds, anyway.

figureskatingforlife

Not announcing summer injuries seems to be fairly common practice. I'd assume if L&P aren't at the test skates, they aren't ready now. If L&P can be monitored and ready by Nebelhorn, then I could agree with you. Their international scoring threshold has been higher over the past two seasons. But . . .

Last season, three of L&P's four early events included major mistakes. Plus, having switched coaches to Zoueva, it is less likely that L&P will show up with Code-ready programs right off the bat. I'd feel a lot more comfortable if they could attend an event prior to Nebelhorn. It's not that Lorenz & Polizoakis couldn't show up ready. It's just that these three things--a track record for major errors early in the season, a coaching switch, and an injury--could all undermine the benefits from that record.

Meanwhile you have a young team that really wasn't competitive internationally last season, but just defeated Nazarova & Nikitin overall and had a solid debut at Lake Placid as well (ahead of Torn & Partanen and Kuzmichova & Sinicyn, whom I'd expect to be in the hunt at Nebelhorn). M&D now have two competitions under their belt for the summer, showing readiness & improvement from their own messy preseason last year. Plus they did defeat Lorenz & Polizoakis once in head-to-head competition last season, signifying that M&D aren't starting from scratch as far as proving themselves to their own federation. (In fact, this team has been competing in ISU events longer than L&P).

But the senior international-level track record isn't there.

Great Britain
Korea
Japan

A healthy & ready, Lorenz & Polizoakis, should fit into that top four. After that, you've got the Finns, Armenians, Czechs. Not 100% sure who Azerbaijan sends. Not sure if Hungary might throw in Yanovskaya & Lukacs just for Nebelhorn. But Muller & Dieck defeated the young Czechs & the Finns at Lake Placid. (I'd say Armenia really defeated themselves at this particular event). There's no clear sign yet that M&D are competitive with Korea and Japan.

So the question is . . . who is the safer bet? The German team with the higher scoring threshold over the past two seasons while healthy & under a different coach. A team that has defeated the Korean & Japanese teams in recent World competition. Or the healthy, upward moving young team that just defeated several of the teams likely to fight for those three or four bottom spots.

Germany should be in the mix. I expect them to make it. Healthy & ready, I wouldn't hesitate to send L&P to Nebelhorn & then let the other teams try to prove themselves over the season. But if L&P are not healthy & competition ready (and I'd really like to see them in competition to know they are competition ready), I'd go with Muller & Dieck.

Skate Canada, not the ISU, invited L&P onto the Grand Prix. IMO, it is frankly more a sign of Skate Canada's hope that L&P could lose to Soucisse & Firus than that anyone counts on L&P. It is a sign that L&P had a high enough international PB that SC could invite them.

I agree with you at some points but not all of them. L/P had a lot of mistakes at the beginning of the season but still they've always shown a good end result at Nebelhorn-Trophy - better than the other German couples. They've so far delivered always good results in the Challengers - even last season, Nebelhorn, Ondrej Nepela and Zagreb while M/D have never been competing well at Challengers. We all know the Challengers are harsher judged than the Senior B competitions ( where M/D score and L/P clearly failed last season with mistakes ). Even though L/P had mistakes in a lot of competitions last season they always managed to get the same scoring or higher than the other German teams while they were all skating clean programs. You can't compare it the way you said it. Just look at the ISU BIO of both couples - the difference in the Personal Bests points ( only ISU Challengers or ISU Events such as Europeans, Worlds ) is significant... nearly 30 p different!

I also think it's not about them not being ready but she being injured. As far as I know she was really one whole month off the ice.

+ don't forget K/N. They're a real threat for the Olympics in my opinion but to send them to Nebelhorn in my opinion is again wrong because they've recently had nearly no international experience - only last season ( Universiade ).
And to say M/D is a younger team is kind of mean - they're the same age as L/P. =D

But I agree with you. L/P should be only sent if they are 100% healthy and ready... everything else makes no sense. M/D showed that they have been clean already this summer so it's not like they can't do it.

Last edited:

Dobre

You can't compare it the way you said it. Just look at the ISU BIO of both couples - the difference in the Personal Bests points ( only ISU Challengers or ISU Events such as Europeans, Worlds ) is significant... nearly 30 p different!

You can always compare head-to-head. You can say, "Oh, but that competition was an outlier." (It was). And these other competitions were at a higher international level. (They were). But you can always compare head-to-head.

Haven't forgotten K&N; but because they are currently #3, they would need to compete if they wanted to be in the discussion for Nebelhorn. And, thus far, they haven't. I thought perhaps they would get out into these early competitions themselves, but they've been in Europe. Do we know if they plan to compete somewhere soon? Once they do, then we can discuss whether they have an argument for competing in the qualifying event. (Maybe they will go to Lombardia since they are now training with Fusar-Poli?)

All right, "two young teams." A legitimate reason for anticipating some movement and meandering of results.

J

Jeschke

Any updates on the monitoring today?
Someone has some :sekret: info? What is Weinzierl skating to? :D

According to social media: Schott, Weinzierl are there. M/D, K/N and U/S (Urban with short hair :smokin:); I assume the berlin pairs H/S and H/B too.
No clue about the men and the other ladies.

platniumangel

I forgot about the Slovakians also. They are in the hunt as well if she's back healthy.

She appears healthy and is training programs with Lukas. Coached by Barbara-Fusar-Poli and Stefano Caruso. Currently in the US doing some summer training/choreography in Charlotte, NC with Mathew Gates. Does she have citizenship for Slovakia? I believe Lucie is Czech.

Eislauffan

According to social media: Schott, Weinzierl are there. M/D, K/N and U/S (Urban with short hair :smokin:); I assume the berlin pairs H/S and H/B too.

When I met Lea Johanna Dastich in Oberstdorf earlier this month, she told me that she is going to the test skate. From a colleague I heard that only Paul Fentz and Peter Liebers are there, the others are injured.

Sabine-Yuna

Weinzierl is skating to Je sui malade sung in Italian. Interesting choice - Schotts SP is sung in Italian language too.

J

Jeschke

What I know is that we have got two more La La Land programs this season. Dastich is skating a SP to it and Bock her FS.
for gods sake :yikes:
not cause it's la la land, cause the 2 girls with, ehm, the least skills are doing a 'dance' program.
that'll be interesting. :watch:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information