Vancouver to host 2018 Canadian Tire National Skating Championships

manhn

The local news is covering some rugby event taking place here right now, as if I care. They mentioned that Vancouver will also be hosting Canadians and GPF, which will result in $5M and 9M in spending, respectively. Lol, which fsuers have that kind of spending money, lol.

kalamalka

Interesting/kind of mystifying that they would peg GPF at almost twice the amount of $$ as Canadians, since there are 6 entries at 2 levels for GPF and 18 entries at 3 levels for Canadians. I wouldn't expect a significant difference in the number of tickets sold, either, and Canadians is over 7 days while GPF is 5 days including the practice day.

Japanfan

kalamalka

I should have said "twice the economic impact" (in response to manh's comment on the local news report). We don't have ticket prices for either event yet.

mackiecat

Interesting/kind of mystifying that they would peg GPF at almost twice the amount of $$ as Canadians, since there are 6 entries at 2 levels for GPF and 18 entries at 3 levels for Canadians. I wouldn't expect a significant difference in the number of tickets sold, either, and Canadians is over 7 days while GPF is 5 days including the practice day.
Could it be that The GPF brings in the Japanese Fans who spend more.

nyrak

I wonder why it's at the Thunderbird Arena vs Pacific Coliseum? Sure PC is bigger than might be necessary, for Canadians at least, but at least there's hotels & restaurants nearby. UBC isn't exactly a convenient location. Still it's a minor complaint, I'm just happy to have 2 events - especially Olympic year nationals! - nearby :)

Japanfan

Maybe the Pacific Coliseum arena was booked for something else.

It was used last time Canadians were here, and wasn't exactly empty. I think the tickets from this event are going to real fast!

Winnipeg

How easy is it to access hotels and restaurants and still be able to walk to and from the arena? Does anyone know?

manhn

West Coast Suites is 1.2 km from the arena. Both are along the same main street: Westbrook Mall.

The arena is 1.2 km from the Save on Foods and other newer restaurants (opposite from West Coast Suites).

The Student Union Building is a 5 minute walk from the arena.

The International Food Court is also a 5 minute walk. There are student cafeterias and cafes in most of the academic buildings; there are a few right next to the arena, but I am not familiar with their food offerings. I am familiar with the coffeeshop across the street from the arena, in the dorms.

There is no hotel in the campus, except West Coast Suites. Otherwise, you will need to drive or take transit to UBC. But it's really easy to take transit to UBC (more so than the Pacific Colosseum). Any hotel along Broadway or along the Canada Line or in Downtown will be fine. Thursday and Friday, I intend to use transit. Saturday and Sunday, I will probably drive. All Day parking on the weekend is not much--something like 7 dollars. Maybe more if you want to park in the parkade right next to the arena, but I always use the parkade near the law school.

For Canadians, classes will be in session. But for GPF, it should be Finals time, so not as crowded.

Last edited:

TanithandBenFan

Author of the Ice and Edge Series
Has the UBC arena officially been announced as the venue for GPF? I'm very much looking forward to visiting Vancouver again!!

jersey1302

I'm a bit surprised they are holding the event at the University arena and not one of the other two larger ones. Nationals usually get a pretty decent crowd.

PeterG

Any idea on when tickets might go on sale?

I'd hate to miss out!!

Yes, what's the best way to know when tickets will go on sale for both Nationals and the GPF? Can you sign up for some kind of alert notifications with ticketmaster or Skate Canada or....??

Catherine M

Yes, what's the best way to know when tickets will go on sale for both Nationals and the GPF? Can you sign up for some kind of alert notifications with ticketmaster or Skate Canada or....??

I find twitter to be a great source of news from Skate Canada; whoever runs their account is always tweeting out information. If I see anything, I'll be sure to post here. And I'm sure others will too.

aka_gerbil

Rooting for the Underdogs
I just bought my ticket. I wasn't thrilled with what was available, and have a quasi plan that if something better comes up in the general sale, buy a second ticket and sell the first on StubHub. I was torn between the event selling out because it's a small arena and waiting to see if by chance there were some seats held back.

With the exchange rate, I paid just under 200 USD. It's quite a deal compared to what the tickets are for US Nationals, which I'm within driving distance of.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information