The Good News Thread

Artistic Skaters

Drawing Figures

Simone411

To Boldly Explore Figure Skating Around The World
Aimee Copeland was on GMA this morning. She looked wonderful and gave credit to her family and friends for her perseverance. She is a disabilities advocate and has been working with Friends of Disabled Adults and Children. She said compassion was a huge part of her healing. She also said when you're helping others, you're not focused on yourself. You're not focused on what you're lacking and she is so right.

They mentioned on TV that she recently had her 4 year anniversary of Surviving NF. In April, I had my 5 year anniversary of surviving NF. Just surviving NF is a battle, and each year that goes by is a celebration.

Aimee also said this about her prosthetist, Randy Alley, who accompanied her on GMA:

"I've tried different prosthetic devices over the years, and last summer when Randy and his team fit me in just three days, the first time I tried them on, it was, like, totally different than anything I'd ever experienced," she said. "They just felt like a part of me, an extension of my natural arm, just like the real thing, so it was amazing."

I am so proud of Aimee, and she is part of my strength and admiration for not giving up even when I sometimes feel like it.

Flesh Eating Bacteria Survivior Aimee Copeland credits friends, family for her perseverance

Artistic Skaters

Drawing Figures
*** The heartwarming reason why a N.M. boy asked his mom to pack 2 school lunches :

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/the-heartbreaking-reason-why-this-boy-asked-his-mom-to-pack-2-lunches/
For months, Josette Duran has been packing her son an extra lunch to bring to school simply because he asked her to.

The mom didn’t ask questions. She thought he was just hungry, but then she found out the truth.

The boy spilled the real reason why he needed two bagged lunches: “Mom it’s for this boy. He only eats a fruit cup for lunch. Can you make him lunch too? I don’t think he has lunch money.”
According to CBS affiliate KCCI, the girls’ volleyball team Duran coaches raised more than $400 to pay Duran back for her good deed. But Duran said she couldn’t accept that either, and instead, donated the money to the cafeteria.

“We paid up all the past due accounts for all the kids who need lunch,” Duran said. “So now, nobody in that school owes any money, and now everyone can eat.”

Artistic Skaters

Drawing Figures
A small non-profit in Silver Spring, MD (Leveling the Playing Field) has collected & redistributed $2 million dollars worth of equipment to low income areas so more kids can play sports.

*** "Leveling the Playing Field" for young athletes :

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/leveling-the-playing-field-donates-sports-equipment-children-in-need/
For a lot of kids, America’s pastime was a game out of reach. They didn’t have the equipment — bats or gloves or cleats.

“Some kids wouldn’t even play… because they’re too embarrassed or too shy to say, ‘I don’t have this. I don’t have that,’” said Andre Lee, president of the Senators Satchel Paige Little League.

But Lee said something remarkable is happening, reports CBS News correspondent Jan Crawford. Participation rates have doubled — and all it took was some donated gear.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Today our entire engineering division was told that we would get a raise. The county did a market study and found that we were underpaid (severely). Retention and recruiting had become a problem so the board of supervisors approved a raise for many of us. Since I have worked here for 9 years, several of which were without a raise, I got a pretty good raise. It was a surprise because I had not expected it at all. I feel very grateful.

PeterG

Today our entire engineering division was told that we would get a raise. The county did a market study and found that we were underpaid (severely). Retention and recruiting had become a problem so the board of supervisors approved a raise for many of us. Since I have worked here for 9 years, several of which were without a raise, I got a pretty good raise. It was a surprise because I had not expected it at all. I feel very grateful.

Drinks on Vash01! :40beers: :rofl:

twinsissv

Escape! It's so wonderful to be able to escape from the terrible things that are happening all over this planet these days. I love being able to escape to the deep reaches of outer space far beyond the Milky Way. I'm really enjoying the programs and images of the Hubble Telescope and its pictorial representations of what is now coming our way even though many of these beautiful nebulas and supernovas disappeared thousands of years ago...light-years ago! To be able to take myself away from the little mindless travails of this teeny-tiny insignificant world is so refreshing and enlightening! Oh that glorious and absolutely GIGANTIC 'Pillars or Creation'! I could just stare at that thing all day long and wonder! The very thought that there are structures out there that are so big they could hold our entire solar system thousands of times over! WOW! That demonstrates so easily just how unimportant we are in the totality of existence. Problem is...that after such a marvelous journey of the mind, heart, soul and imagination, I still have to return back to this meaningless grain of sand on the desert of the cosmos, its wars, bloodshed, hatefulness, political foolishness, etc. Oh well...still a great journey. And as for the cosmological escape route, I'll be back soon! :)
KIDS, EMBRACE SCIENCE! WHEN THINGS GET TOO TOUGH TO TAKE ON PLANET EARTH, IT CAN BE A LIFE-SAVER FOR YOU! :biggrinbo

Last edited:

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Just got back from my vacation in Maui, Hawaii. Yesterday I did a whale watching tour, organized by the Pacific Whale Foundation. I need to read up on them. I was told earlier by my hotel concierge that it would be a waste to take that tour, since I wouldn't see any whales. Guess what, we saw three humpback whales near and under our boat, doing all sorts of things. Later a fourth whale joined them. I had seen whales in Alaska but they were quite far. These whales were really close to the boat. All of us were very excited. The whale season is not supposed to start until January, but we got really lucky. They are such graceful creatures! Save the whales.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information