SYTYCD Summer 2017

Aceon6

Wrangling the duvet into the cover
I just saw a tweet that the American competition series So You Think You Can Dance (SYTYCD) will be back this summer.

From Fox website. I added the bolding.

This season, highly-skilled dancers between the ages of 18-30 will showcase their talents in various dance styles, including contemporary, tap, hip-hop, ballroom, animation, breaking and more. The Top 10 dancers will be paired up with All-Stars who will guide them throughout the competition as they vie for America’s votes and the title of America’s Favorite Dancer.

“This season is about giving our loyal fan base what they’ve been asking for,” said executive producer Nigel Lythgoe. “We’ve decided to go back to basics by bringing the best of our past formats together for an exciting new summer featuring accomplished adult competitors partnered with fan-favorite All-Star dancers. And, of course, as in past seasons, there will be new surprises which are sure to wow our viewers.”

Yay!

chantilly

^
Yes please.
He's hot and despite my reservations I like some of his pop songs, but he's a dud as a judge.
I liked the guest judges.

BaileyCatts

Yes! Although frankly I could do without the animation and break dancing. And ,,, uhm ......... bring back Mary. I luvs Mary. :p :slinkaway

Aceon6

Well, no Paula. She confirmed on twitter that she's not on the panel this year.
As for Jason, it looks like his tour ends in May. Alas! Someone hire this guy so he's busy in July and August!

pixie cut

Yes! Although frankly I could do without the animation and break dancing. And ,,, uhm ......... bring back Mary. I luvs Mary. :p :slinkaway

Kind of over Mary and don't really want to see her again, but hopefully there will be some real dance voices not judges picked for their celebrity.

chantilly

I find Mary so annoying.
When she talks about Dance especially ballroom, she's very knowledgeable, but it comes at the expense of her screaming.
I liked the guest judges who have knowledge in Dance, like Christina applegate.
Twitch would be awesome.

The Accordion

Despite its shortcomings - I am always grateful for this show and there are always some beautiful pieces that come out of it. And I also enjoy most of the choreographers they hire. I am grateful for another non-kid season and more of the all-stars. Hope Alex Wong is back. Also - I'd kill for Danny Tidwell if that were a possibility.

pixie cut

Despite its shortcomings - I am always grateful for this show and there are always some beautiful pieces that come out of it. And I also enjoy most of the choreographers they hire. I am grateful for another non-kid season and more of the all-stars. Hope Alex Wong is back. Also - I'd kill for Danny Tidwell if that were a possibility.

I've hoped for that ever since they introduced the All Stars, but he seems to have permanently distanced himself.

Aceon6

I've hoped for that ever since they introduced the All Stars, but he seems to have permanently distanced himself.
I would bet that both Travis and Danny would describe their relationship as "complicated."
It seems that Danny has gone fairly private since returning from Oslo. At 32, he may be shifting his focus to something else.

sap5

Danny Tidwell! He was magic when he was on. What an incredible talent.

SYTYCD was always a favorite of mine. I wish they could get some ice dancers on as guest judges sometime. Would love to hear their take!

pixie cut

Danny Tidwell! He was magic when he was on. What an incredible talent.

SYTYCD was always a favorite of mine. I wish they could get some ice dancers on as guest judges sometime. Would love to hear their take!

If Tara Lipinski can guest judge, why not Meryl Davis? Tweet to Nigel.

As for Danny, he does have a connection to the show through Travis. If they are in communication, Travis could ask him to appear in a dance piece as an All Star. We can dream.

alj5

I'm so glad they went back to the adult format. I really didn't want to watch another group of kids (minus Tate who was sublime).

Firedancer

I'm so happy they are going back to the original format! Also so glad there is no more Paula!

Aceon6

Mods, can we merge this with the other So You Think You Can Dance thread. Thanks.

chantilly

I also don't understand the appeal of Les Twins.
I actually don't think they're very good.
But they have a huge social media following.
So do some of the other acts.
I think it's why this show has such huge ratings.
To me the dance is far superior on SYTYCD.
Though I'm not loving the new format on this season of SYTYCD.
On WOD in guessing it's going to be Eva vs Kinjaz vs Keone and Mari.
Kinjaz I think will win.
I think they're fantastic.

Rob

Beach Bum
I do like a number of the WOD contestants, but for some reason, I am finding the format to be annoying and kind of boring so I stop paying attention.

chantilly

^ Agreed.
And I'm not sure what happened to Jenna Dewan Tatum, but she is styled horribly and is waif thin.
She looks unhealthy and seems scattered and like she's trying too hard.
I've liked her as an actress before and I think she was on SYTYCD as a guest judge, but she's no Cat Deely.
It's not all her fault. They are forcing her to be the den mother/captain obvious.
But she's also not working for me as a host.
There's something just off about her.

MarieM

Grumpy Cynical Ice Dance Lover
I love love love the blue haired girl. Kaylee something. I hope Cyrus picks her ^^

skatesindreams

I also don't understand the appeal of Les Twins.
I actually don't think they're very good.
But they have a huge social media following.

I agree; and that "social media following" is why they are appearing on the show.
Without that, no one would know who they were.
I've seen many dancers which I believe are better than they are.

pixie cut

I agree; and that "social media following" is why they are appearing on the show.
Without that, no one would know who they were.

Actually, they are known in the industry and have performed with high profile acts, including Beyonce.

I liked their last routine a lot, but the first one left me scratching my head as to why they got so much praise.

It appears one of them got injured, so they probably didn't win.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information