SYTYCD Summer 2017

chantilly

I knew it was going to happen sooner or later.
Kaylee should definitely be in the bottom.
I thought she was pretty bad last night.
Her solo was just Ok. Her duet was terrible in the middle of the dance.
Koine is my new fave.
I thought Taylor had a weak night.
She was stiff in the shoulders for her solo and the samba was pretty weak.
I thought some of the dances had weird music choices. Koine's especially.
I thought Kiki was ok, but felt that Jenna did all the work in that dance.
Loved Lex.
IMO it should be between him and Koine.
Logan, Mark were ok.
I love Dassy. Think she didn't deserve the bottom.
Anyway really liked the contestants dance better then the all stars.
I really resented the edit at the end of that dance.
But it was beautifully danced
But felt very self congratulating and pedantic for me.

Reactions: Rob

Scrufflet

^^^
Agree with much of what you say. Koine really shines for me too. Also like Dassy. I missed Kiki and Lex due to a cat stomping on the remote. And yes, I like the contestants more too. Get rid of Alison!

I thought the judges were pretty bland this week too. Almost every contestant got the same feedback. I do remember when I used to learn something from what they said. And it seems they only like 2 types of dance - funky hip hop stuff or emotive jazzy contemporary(always in bare feet and floaty attire). As soon as Jean-Marc G. shows up with a ballroom number, that's the kiss of death no matter what he gives them. I remember seeing him compete years ago (30?) and he was absolutely fantastic. He actually won some events in which Canadians were just not doing well. Ah, a tangent.

Anyway, it's the only thing on right now. I'd be thrilled to be able to dance half as well as their worst one.

Jay42

Between the click of the light
I still don't get Jenna. I've tried enjoying her but I kind of feel like I'm being told she's a great dancer instead of actually seeing it.

I kind of wonder if Kaylee would have been better off if she was partnered with someone else. But she chose Cyrus so ultimately that's on her.

I thought Comfort was better in that contemporary routine than Mark was but they both acted it well.

Dassy, Lex and Koine are definitely my favourites, I like Taylor a lot too even though this week wasn't great for her.

alj5

I'm really liking Mark & Comfort as a pairing, and hope his big personality will keep him in the running with Lex and Koine.

But there's nobody who's my "it" yet. Nobody that's gotten me to actually vote this year.

MarieM

Grumpy Cynical Ice Dance Lover
I still love Kaylee but IMO, she outdanced Cyrus and it showed way too much. She kind of look like they are sabotaging her, like they did to Cyrus the season he won.

Aceon6

Wrangling the duvet into the cover
I still love Kaylee but IMO, she outdanced Cyrus and it showed way too much. She kind of look like they are sabotaging her, like they did to Cyrus the season he won.
Agree. I think it boils down to her feet. The judges and (apparently) choreographers don't seem to be able to get past them. I'm not as bothered by them as others here seem to be. I'm rhythm biased and her musicality still impresses me.

Taylor kind of leaves me cold, as do Kiki and Logan. I guess it's because I've seen people who can do the same things with better effect.

I'm rooting for a Lex vs. Mark final.

Rob

Beach Bum
My favorites are Lex, Koine, Logan. I really liked Taylor until she had that bad miss last night - reminded me of early favorite Ryan Ramirez's terrible latin dance with all the wrong weight/foot placement and bent knees. I love seeing what Mark is doing - his personality, effort, and performance quality is pulling him through.

Agree that Kiki did not do much dancing other than lifting. Nice piece, Jenna looked good. Would like to have seen Allison in it.

No way did Dassy deserve to be in the bottom.

Cyrus didn't win his season. He was male runner-up to Chehon. But don't forget how many voters he had - despite the judge sabotage, he was in the final. So he may be pulling in votes for Kaylee. Cyrus's partner Eliana was the female winner. For me, Kaylee and Cyrus aren't suited to each other -- she's powerful, but with his lack of technique outside his style, he can't match her. It makes her weaknesses show more because she is doing all the dancing.

My bottom this week are Kaylee, Taylor, Kiki (but looks like it will be Dassy instead).

flyingsit

I remember Cyrus in his season being downright BAD at everything outside his own style, and he wasn't even that good in hip-hop that didn't include animation.

Kiki is boring. And it amuses me how much support the show has continually given Jenna; I remember her being in the bottom most weeks during her season and per Wikipedia, yep. She was in the bottom every week other than twice until she was finally let go.

pixie cut

Kiki is boring. And it amuses me how much support the show has continually given Jenna; I remember her being in the bottom most weeks during her season and per Wikipedia, yep. She was in the bottom every week other than twice until she was finally let go.

Kiki has received an obscene amount of support. He's an average dancer, but according to everyone he's the best male ballroom dancer ever on the show. Such an insult to Pasha Kovalev. As for Jenna, supposedly the choreographers loved her and kept voting to save her each week. I hope that doesn't carry over if Kiki lands in the bottom.

chantilly

I'm the opposite, I think Jenna wa underrated in her season and think she is one of the best overall dancers in the all stars.
There's a reason the choreographers love her and place her in front for most of the dances
And in Academy week she choreographed two strong dances.

chantilly

Kaylee is musical, but I don't get the sense she is comfortable in her own skin.
And like I said she dances heavy.
Cyrus as her partner makes her look good. I barely look at him.
Mark is pretty good, but he's a lot of personality more then a great all around dancer.
Taylor seems a bit wooden to me in her solos
I think she's one of those dancers that needs really strong choreography.
But she has great legs, feet and line. However she is no where near the best contemporary female dancer they've had on the show.
I don't even think she's as good as Koine.

sap5

How much crosses over between DWTS and SYTYCD fanbase-wise? Because Val has posted on Instagram to get his fans to vote for them. That might possibly earn her a little more time.

I wonder about that. I used to love SYTYCD (but haven't watched it this season), but really didn't like DWTS.

chantilly

I've never been able to watch DWTS. The dancing isn't very good.
There have been some ringers like Meryl and Charlie, but it's not enough to get me to watch the show.

flyingsit

Anybody else watch last night?

I didn't get the judges' swooning over Taylor's hip hop... I find Koine a better all-around dancer. Taylor has an edge in contemporary, but Koine is better in everything else.

love skating

Clueless American
Koine has become my favorite... I gave her all my votes yesterday. Very disappointed she was in the bottom. Three have never been in the bottom 3... Lex - love him, plus Taylor and Kiki - I find both of them over-hyped.

Aceon6

Wrangling the duvet into the cover
I'm amazed they send home Dassy instead of Kaylee. I'm not a fan of Kaylee's dancing at all.
IIRC, choreographers contribute to the voting. If Dassy was having a hard time, that might have contributed to the decision.

chantilly

I thought Taylor redeemed herself last night but still think Koine is a better all around dancer.
Her being in the bottom is ridiculous.
Kaylee should have went home IMO, but don't think Dassy would have lasted much longer.
I fear KIki will last a long time.
I think he's one of the weakest left.
The fact I noticed Koine more then him in ballroom is telling.
I love Lex and expect him in the top 2. I hope he, Logan or Koine win.

Reactions: Rob

pixie cut

Kaylee was surprisingly good in the cha cha, which is all Val's teaching bc Cyrus was certainly not a strong partner. I guess they wanted to give her another chance. I think she'll be gone next week.

I was truly surprised to see Koine in the bottom three. I thought for sure Taylor would be there because her samba last week was not good.

I too fear Kiki will last a couple of weeks more. I know Mark is cute, but I don't find him to be a very good dancer.

Is it three or four dancers in the final? For me, Lex, Logan and Koine are a cut above everyone else.

mackiecat

What is with no corrections at all. There were terrible feet last night, then again one culprit was Comfort. Cyrus was horrid at ChaCha. I like Travis's dances and the ones Lex was in. He stood out at Dance Awards and really stands out here.

pixie cut

I thought Lex and Logan were incredible in the trio, but I didn't find Kaylee brilliant. If anything, it felt like she was in the back so as not to detract from the two guys.

Also, the way Nigel delivered the elimination at the end was so confusing. The contestants deserve to clearly understand who is eliminated. There's still a "but" hanging in the air.

chantilly

Yeah. Good show and agreed, the end was confusing.
Was happy to hear 4 will make the finale, and that Kiki was finally in the bottom.
Think the bottom 3 was completely correct. The right person went home.
I fear Koine will be sent home with Kaylee next week. But we will see.
Kiki has improved but he's still inferior IMO to Koine.
Anyway I do think Lex, Logan and Taylor will be in the finale and should be.
I have a feeling Lex will win, but who knows.

pixie cut

Yeah. Good show and agreed, the end was confusing.
Was happy to hear 4 will make the finale, and that Kiki was finally in the bottom.
Think the bottom 3 was completely correct. The right person went home.
I fear Koine will be sent home with Kaylee next week. But we will see.
Kiki has improved but he's still inferior IMO to Koine.
Anyway I do think Lex, Logan and Taylor will be in the finale and should be.
I have a feeling Lex will win, but who knows.

If Kiki makes the final and Koine doesn't, I will be very sad.

I would be stunned if Lex, Logan and Taylor aren't in the final. The last two will be Lex and Logan and either could win. I lean slightly toward Lex, but they're both spectacular and I'd be happy either way. If Kaylee makes the final over Koine I'd be a little disappointed, but still cool with it. Every season needs a great underdog.

pixie cut

Nigel tweeted he's shocked with America's vote for tonight's elimination. This should be interesting.

ross_hy

Nigel tweeted he's shocked with America's vote for tonight's elimination. This should be interesting.

I'm definitely surprised at
Lex and Kiki in the finale over Logan

I also thought there were some off moments in Kaylee and Kiki's Bollywood routine. At the same time, they're so different stylistically that Bollywood was probably the best choice for them.

chantilly

Logan instead of Kiki should be in the finale.

Bummed.

But so very excited that Koine made it.

I'm rooting for her or Lex, but I suspect Lex to walk away with it.
Taylor really won me over again tonight.

The opening number tonight was fantastic.

The group numbers have been fantastic in general.

Several numbers tonight were pretty bad. The choreography was super cheesy and a lot of the styling.

The Jenna/Kiki number was horrible. Honestly felt second hand embarrassment. Also with the disco number too. And I've liked a lot of her choreography.

I thought Koine and Lex tried to sell it, Koine being much more successful the Lex, but it was juvenile and reductive choreography IMO.

Loved the closet routine but didn't think it was as free and easy as they would have liked. But I give them a pass based on the difficulty.

Taylor's solo was fantastic tonight and Koine's

Wasn't won over by Lex's solo tonight.

And was SO disappointed in Mark's choreography tonight.

I hated that dance and it made me mad to hate it. Love Mark.
And the costumes/styling were abysmal and a major distraction.

PS. And Koine's mentor being her brother who gave up figure skating so she could dance brought me to tears.

pollyanna

Arghhh! I hate this show. I can't believe Kiki made the final over Logan. :wuzrobbed I liked Logan for the win. Oh well, I least I still have Lex and Koine to root for. Have I mentioned how I hate this show?! :lol:

skatingfan5

Past Prancer's Corridor
Arghhh! I hate this show. I can't believe Kiki made the final over Logan. I liked Logan for the win. Oh well, I least I still have Lex and Koine to root for. Have I mentioned how I hate this show?! :lol:
(((pollyanna))) Your post has removed any traces of regret I may have had at not watching this summer. :lol: (Have been having difficulty with my FOX reception, so gave up the hassle of trying to tune in.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information