1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooking/Recipe Thread.

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by becca, Jan 23, 2017.

1. algonquin

algonquin Well-Known Member

My family loves the broccoli slaw and ask for it for family gatherings.

I have not been converted to quinoa yet.

2. clairecloutier

clairecloutier Well-Known Member

@algonquin Here is that recipe!

Hoppin' John
    from The Boston Globe

3 tablespoons olive oil (decrease a bit if you use all bacon)
    9-10 ounces ham, slab bacon, or combination, cut into ½-inch dice
    2 large onions, chopped
    1 green bell pepper, cored, seeded, and chopped
    4 stalks celery, chopped
    ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper, and some black pepper
    1 pound dried black-eyed peas, soaked overnight and drained
    1 quart water or chicken stock (Note: If you like your bean dishes soupy, increase liquid by half or more)
    2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley (for garnish)

1. Put the olive oil and ham/bacon in a soup pot. Cook over medium heat, stirring often, for 8 minutes or until the meat starts to brown.

2. Add the onions, peppers, celery, black pepper, and crushed red pepper to the pot. Cook over medium-low heat, stirring often, for 10 minutes, or until vegetables soften.

3. Stir in the black-eyed peas and 1 quart water or stock. (Again, increase water/stock if you want soupy texture.) Bring to a boil, lower the heat, and cover the pan. Simmer for 60 minutes, adding more water during cooking if the mixture seems dry, or until the peas are tender. Taste for seasoning and add salt, black pepper, or red pepper, if you like. Serve over white rice and sprinkle with parsley.

algonquin likes this.
  3. TheGirlCanSkate

TheGirlCanSkate Well-Known Member

I made the beans this week - they are amazing! The texture is buttery, not grainy and they are very tender. I liked that I didn't need to soak them. They are sold here under the name Peruano. Thanks for making me curious enough to try something new.

Allskate and clairecloutier like this.
  4. Spun Silver

Spun Silver Well-Known Member

I just made and ate the recipes in posts 59 and 60 -- @ItalianFan's cabbage-potato fry amd @clairecloutier's butternut squash (in my version) with nuts and rosemary. Both were scrumptious. It was a little ironic to make such an ideal winter meal on a day when it came close to 70 degrees, but it was my night to cook and those were the ingredients on hand.

Once again rosemary filled my kitchen with its enchanting aroma. I love the way the walnuts almost candied while roasting in oil. I cooked that one longer than the recipe specified, and it could have done with even more oven time - I like butternut squash best when it is roasted almost dry, blackened and crisp. But it was delicious simply cooked to the point of softness too. I really liked the addition of hot pepper to the cabbage-potato dish.

My hubby was curious to hear that I got the cabbage-potato recipe from an Italian. He thinks of that combo as German, Swiss or Irish. No matter, we both love it. There is a great Irish dish called colcannon that uses potatoes, cabbage and cheese. We have served it as an Easter dish. We combine aspects of several different recipes -- if you're interested, just google it and see what looks good.