Baby Question

Skittl1321

I have heard that uncircumcised guys can *feel* more sensations. Naturally I find that possibility intriguing. But perhaps that's a penis myth.
Apparently studies that have been done with men circumcised as adults support this.

When we were expecting I told my husband he would have to decide, and he was no help at all. The OB told us that "to look like his father" was one of the most common reasons people cited for circumcising, but my husband didn't expect he'd be comparing penises with his son much, so he thought that was an awful reason. I read a lot of "my boy will look different in the locker room" comments on babycenter; but again my husband said that he had never spent enough time looking to know if he had ever seen someone who wasn't circumcised. We didn't talk about it near the end of the when I was pregnant because so much else was wrong; and early on it was still more of a abstract idea. So i still have no idea what we would have ended up doing. I'm guessing we wouldn't have done it- unless my husband suddenly felt strongly about it.

oleada

I'm hispanic too. I think it interesting that even with diamond studs, costume stuff that fits her intetests, that she has still not chosen to get it done. All but one of her friends had it done, some as infants others in elementary, and for others middle school. I have offered on many occasions as well. So im glad it was her choice and I respect her no thank you.

Eh, It's not that big a deal. She doesn't like them, she can take them out. Holes close back up pretty easily.

TheGirlCanSkate

I've never understood why circumcision and ear piercing are considered parallel in some places. Seriously, cutting the penis is not at all the same as piercing an ear.

Probably because unless done for religious reasons, both aesthetic procedures. They don't cut the penis, they remove the fold of skin that covers the penis head. Neither uses any pain medication, both are super quick.

Aside from getting it done because it is done traditionally, what is the cultural significance of ear piercing? My grandmother couldn;t tell me why, just that is it done.

Jimena

No cultural significance apart from: women wear earrings from the time they're young. As far as I can tell, anyway. It's just another way to establish gender differences, IMO.

Thinking about what my nephew went through when he was circumcised at 8, and what I went through when I got my second ear piercing when I was 17, they pain level was very, very different. I was living with my sister when my nephew had the procedure done and it was awful.

Skittl1321

Neither uses any pain medication, both are super quick.

The vast majority of hospitals use local anesthesia for circumcisions.

It used be to thought that infants did not feel pain, and it was not used; but they absolutely do, and the procedure has been shown to be painful for them without anesthesia.

There are still some places that don't use it though, because they believe the risk of anesthesia is not worth the benefit.

Habs

A bitch from Canada
I thought pain medication was used for circumcision?

We're not sure what sex Baby Habs is, but my doctor, who does circumcisions both at the hospital and at his own clinic, was telling me about the process just in case. He said he recommends Baby Tylenol an hour before the procedure, then uses a numbing cream and a localized injection for freezing. I would assume that's fairly typical. but I'm not exactly in the know about circumcision in general. ;)

Last edited:

oleada

There's no religious significance for the ear piercing. It's just something that is done for baby girls. It just says, "hey, I'm a girl!". According to my aunt, my cousin slept through her ear piercing at the hospital, so I can't imagine it being that painful. I have a sister and about a million female cousins - no one ever had an infection, or issues, or chocking hazar, etc.

I got a second ear piercing as a young teen, and while it hurt a little, it wasn't terrible. It never healed that well, though. I ended up letting them close because the nuns at my school always gave me a hard time about it.

Our hospital definitely uses local anesthetic for circumcisions.

maatTheViking

Roxaaannnneeee!!!
I assume the pain of circumcision is different when you are older - I imagine that as an infant, it might pale in comparison to WHY AM I OUT IN THIS WORLD AND NOT INSIDE THE WOMB. WHAT IS THIS WHERE IS MY MOM'S HEARTBEAT!!

when you are older, you are probably a lot more aware of 'someone cut my foreskin!'. But I don't know.

And I don't think ear piercings are on the same level at all - it can grow back, it has no consequences besides aesthetics, it doesn't really hurt (I had my ears pierced at 12 after begging my mom for a year :p)

I personally is not a fan of circumcision, and I am happy to discourage people from it, but I don't think I should judge parents who choose to do it, it is a pretty common thing

D

Deleted member 1204

In the US, circumcision should never be performed without local anesthesia, according to the American Academy of Pediatrics, the American Academy of Family Practice, and the American College of Surgeons. That means a penile block with lidocaine. Things like Tylenol and topical creams do not provide sufficient anesthesia and should not be used alone. Any physician who does not use lidocaine should be reported to the local medical board for disciplinary action.

Skittl1321

I assume the pain of circumcision is different when you are older - I imagine that as an infant, it might pale in comparison to WHY AM I OUT IN THIS WORLD AND NOT INSIDE THE WOMB. WHAT IS THIS WHERE IS MY MOM'S HEARTBEAT!!

One Canadian study was discontinued early because the infants were in such distress they wouldn't continue enrolling infants into the non-anesthesia group.

It is cited all the time on anti-circumcision groups; but I actually found the study (for awhile I thought it might be fake) http://www.cirp.org/library/pain/lander/

It's possible the pain is greater for older men; though possibly it is just less forgettable.
And it is also possible the pain is less than the trauma of birth; but that's kind of non-negotiable- for a baby to be alive, they have to be born. I realize you say you are against circumcision, but it's kind of a straw-man's argument to say it is less traumatizing than birth. Circumcision is optional; and even if chosen- doing it without pain medicine is yet another option (that I personally cannot imagine.)

Susan1

You just have to watch your baby girls ears closely if they are pierced.

There is a risk that the stud will a bit long and can scratch the side of the babies head while they sleep.

I wouldn't personally do it myself. If I had a daughter I'd rather she waited so that she could care for her ears herself but I don't think it is a huge deal either.

I'VE never been able to sleep in earrings.

Man, that reminded me - years ago, on one of those upside down rides at Kings Island where they put the big harness over your head to lock your shoulders in, my head was bouncing back and forth and the backs of my earrings poked holes in both sides of my neck. I had little tiny droplets of blood going down afterwards.

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
Um.. Having a circumcision as an adult is a real pain in the you know what. Several men in my conversion class were not happy campers for quite some time.

Susan1

Got a quick note from my busy cousin yesterday. Peyton has an appointment with a urologist after the first of the year. So, either this kidney thing is serious enough for a newborn to need a urologist or it's just another check-up since they are putting it off a couple weeks (closed for the holidays?).

Habs

A bitch from Canada
Got a quick note from my busy cousin yesterday. Peyton has an appointment with a urologist after the first of the year. So, either this kidney thing is serious enough for a newborn to need a urologist or it's just another check-up since they are putting it off a couple weeks (closed for the holidays?).

Mini-Habs had to see a paediatric urologist when she was six weeks old. They found kidney cysts when I was pregnant with her so she had to have follow-up testing after she arrived. It wasn't an emergency, or serious, but they had to check.
Her kidney function was fine and two years later, the cysts have dissolved.

Susan1

Mini-Habs had to see a paediatric urologist when she was six weeks old. They found kidney cysts when I was pregnant with her so she had to have follow-up testing after she arrived. It wasn't an emergency, or serious, but they had to check.
Her kidney function was fine and two years later, the cysts have dissolved.

Thanks. I hope they are just being thorough. They've been worried about his inflamed kidneys since she was in her 8th month. Still amazes me that they could see something so tiny while still inside the womb.

And for "others", this was just an update to those who expressed interest in the ongoing saga, not me asking for advice of what *I* should do.

Skittl1321

I had pre-natal appts scheduled with a urologist and a nephrologist when they suspected the baby had kidney issues. Then more scheduled past the due date (because it is hard to get in with them!)

If there is even a suspected issue, that would be why the baby has this appt. They aren't going to wait to see how bad it gets. I hope it is nothing; but if it is something, the baby is getting the care it needs. It's good news the appt is in a few weeks; if it was life threatening, they'd be doing it now or the baby would be in a NICU while waiting. They don't put things off for the holidays if they can't wait.

my little pony

polishing Madison Hubbell's OGM
my godson needed a urologist for his circumcision since it is no longer considered routine. he had to have the urologist consult for insurance purposes.

Susan1

I had pre-natal appts scheduled with a urologist and a nephrologist when they suspected the baby had kidney issues. Then more scheduled past the due date (because it is hard to get in with them!)

If there is even a suspected issue, that would be why the baby has this appt. They aren't going to wait to see how bad it gets. I hope it is nothing; but if it is something, the baby is getting the care it needs. It's good news the appt is in a few weeks; if it was life threatening, they'd be doing it now or the baby would be in a NICU while waiting. They don't put things off for the holidays if they can't wait.

Thanks! Yeah, that's what I said! He's been on "medicine" (I'm thinking antibiotics?) since a couple days after he was born, had an ultrasound last week, a catheter "up there" Monday, which prompted the upcoming urologist appt. My cousin was in a hurry, so didn't go into details. I suggested maybe they are giving the medicine a chance to work. Christmas, geez!

D

Deleted member 1204

I'm 99% sure they are found a dilated urinary tract on ultrasound (hydronephrosis), usually the ureters and possibly the bladder. The catheter "up there" would be for a VCUG (voiding cystourethrogram) where they squirt in contrast material to look for VUR (vesicoureteral reflux) where urine sloshes back up toward the kidneys from the bladder and predisposes you to urinary tract infections and can damage the kidneys over time, and for something called a posterior uretheral valve, which is a partial blockage in the urethra that happens in boys. If the VCUG is abnormal, they will start low-dose antibiotics, usually once a day, to try to prevent urinary tract infections. If there is a posterior urethral valve, it is treated with a pretty simple surgical procedure using a laser. Most hydronephrosis will resolve on its own over time- months to years- but if severe may need surgery by a pediatric urologist.

Susan1

I'm 99% sure they are found a dilated urinary tract on ultrasound (hydronephrosis), usually the ureters and possibly the bladder. The catheter "up there" would be for a VCUG (voiding cystourethrogram) where they squirt in contrast material to look for VUR (vesicoureteral reflux) where urine sloshes back up toward the kidneys from the bladder and predisposes you to urinary tract infections and can damage the kidneys over time, and for something called a posterior uretheral valve, which is a partial blockage in the urethra that happens in boys. If the VCUG is abnormal, they will start low-dose antibiotics, usually once a day, to try to prevent urinary tract infections. If there is a posterior urethral valve, it is treated with a pretty simple surgical procedure using a laser. Most hydronephrosis will resolve on its own over time- months to years- but if severe may need surgery by a pediatric urologist.

Wow! Thanks, "Doc". :)

Do we know why this happens or is it just one of those things baby boys can get for no reason?

Susan1

Here's the grandma version (without all the medical terms) as of last night -

The urologist called us back to Children's yesterday- He has to have surgery in about a month. They are waiting because it is important to do but not critical, the doctor said that there were children who are critical. One of the valves between the kidneys and the penis has some skin growing over the opening of the valves which is causing some urine reflux into his kidneys. Another reason to wait is that he will be almost 6 wks old instead of 12 days. He will be under general anesthesia and spend at least one night in the hospital.

Prayers please!

taf2002

Fluff up your tutu & dance away.....
My youngest brother had to have hernia surgery as a toddler. It is heartbreaking & scary to see a baby in a hospital bed. But it sounds like this surgery is somewhat routine so I'm sure he will be alright. Prayers & hugs for Susan1's-cousin's-grandson.

Susan1

Just moving this up so I can find it again later. The kidney surgery has been postponed till mid Feb. (I just now forgot the date!) Peyton has thrush (from the antibiotic, I read?) and night terrors. Poor little guy!!!!!! Three weeks old...........

maatTheViking

Roxaaannnneeee!!!
Trush is rather common and benign in most cases? My first had it when I was on antibiotics since I was breastfeeding. I think he might have had it twice? Once on his bottom, where it was taken care of quickly with a topical ointment, and once in his mouth and on my nipples where he got some drops. I can't remember precisely.

I hope his surgery goes well, all the best.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information