"No one knows Mirai's mirai" Nagasu cheer thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
I don't have time to read that whole thread (and from what I read, he just said she gave away the gold; not that she was stubborn) but I do remember Frank acting exasperated with Mirai at 2011 Nationals. I personally thought Mirai should have fired Frank after that. I supposed he redeemed himself a bit when he criticized Rachael F. for not withdrawing from Worlds with her injury. I remember he said Mirai was well-trained and ready to go. She also was coming off a bronze medal at 4CC (which she attended without Frank, as I recall).
Just the first and second post on that page give you a flavor for Frank's frustration.

Vagabond

Refresh my drink
:summer:
wasn't the word for the past 1-2 months was that she was keeping TWTIA? Now she is getting a new one?

IIRC, the very first indication was a report that she felt she hadn't gotten everything she could out of the program, and it sounded like she was keeping it, but very soon afterwards she was reported as saying that she was considering keeping.

alexikeguchi

I'm delighted not to hear TWTIA again, more because I just don't like the song regardless of how much emotion Mirai does or doesn't put into performing to it, but the most exciting part to me as her fan is that Jeff Buttle will be choreographing. The SP he did seems to have met with pretty universal acclaim and worked even when Mirai was a little nervous and tense, so I think it's the right move to stick with that.

Sylvia

TBD
http://figureskatersonline.com/news/2017/05/22/mirai-nagasu-what-is-important-to-me-is-to-do-everything-in-my-power-to-make-it-a-strong-season/

New interview with Mirai. She is keeping her short, but will be getting a new long program choreographed by Jeff Buttle(!) in June. She grades her current Triple A as a C because it's not yet consistent, and is thinking of taking one class this summer and taking the Fall semester off. I am so excited that she is getting a new long! I don't believe that she has ever repeated a program before, so she is definitely allowed to keep her sp.
Thanks for posting the link, @GullyGirl84!
The sp is great, just surprised she was scoring low/low-ish with it last season.
ISU Personal Best Score Short Program 73.40 30.09.2016 ISU CS Autumn Classic International 2016
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x4...-canada-autumn-classic-international-sp_sport
ETA: This SP score ended up as #5 on the ISU SB list for 2016-17 (highest U.S. lady).

Last edited:

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications ๐Ÿ˜

Sasha'sSpins

๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ฆ๐Ÿ’™๐Ÿ™๐Ÿ’›๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ฆ
Thanks for posting the link, @GullyGirl84!

ISU Personal Best Score Short Program 73.40 30.09.2016 ISU CS Autumn Classic International 2016
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x4...-canada-autumn-classic-international-sp_sport
ETA: This SP score ended up as #5 on the ISU SB list for 2016-17 (highest U.S. lady).

Which seems to show that when Mirai HITS in her SP, gets all her triples around, etc. she is well rewarded by an international judging panel in the 70+ range! :COP:The lower scores that she received with that program at other times in the season were due to mistakes, urs, etc. When Mirai brings it, the international judges give her the scores! :judge:And she can do even better if she ups the ante a little in her SP jump content consistently, as well as keep working on those transitions, etc!

I couldn't believe it when I saw the tweet from FSO yesterday afternoon! I am THRILLED, downright OVERJOYED that Mirai is dropping that downer of a FS to TWTIA! I disliked it from the start, she only really came close to selling it at 4CCs (and not even then really, it was all about the jumps) and it will forever bring back the nightmare of watching her falter to that program at Nationals, practically on the beat.

And now, I must take a moment to do a Snoopy Dance!! This is my wish, my dream come true! I am SO HAPPY that Mirai is keeping her brilliant SP which I love and that the awesome Jeffrey Buttle, who choreographed that wonderful Chopin Nocturne SP, will now be choreographing a NEW FS for her in the Olympic season! Something relatively upbeat would be great but I don't want to push it!
My cup runneth over! :summer::40beers: :nopryde:

Whatever happens in the coming year, I'm behind her all the way!

GO MIRAI! :cheer::cheer2::respec::rockstar:

Last edited:

Sasha'sSpins

No, let's push it. It has to be upbeat!

Okay then - Let's! :D :40beers:

Thank you for answering my prayers skate gods and goddesses! :respec:

No more TWTIA! And if I may ask for just one more thing, apart from consistent programs with a triple axel AND Mirai making the Olympic team - may we have an UPBEAT :rockstar: and :kickass: FS for Mirai in the Olympic season! :cheer2::cheer:

Sasha'sSpins

has she asked for recommendations? I would love it if Mirai did Sorcerer's Apprentice, very Bebe Liang-esque

I remember she did ask for recommendations a few years (?) ago. Perhaps she won't mind loving, if unsolicited, recommendations from her fans - June will be here soon after all. And perhaps Jeff Buttle won't mind too much, some ideas from Mirai's fans either. :D :fan:

GullyGirl84

Does Mirai's Instagram picture of her in the SP dress with the caption "can't wait to put this dress on again" mean that she is NOT getting a new dress for the program next season? It's stunning, but I was looking forward to her getting a new dress. I think that you kind of need to do that if you repeat a program (like Ashley with Moulin Rouge). I think wearing the long-sleeved dress at Autumn Classic helped accentuate her lines in a way that really fit the program.
On another note, I always liked Mirai's Downhill Special sp...

bardtoob

A 3A-2T would be a pretty sweet combo at the Olympics! Posted by Coach TomZ: https://twitter.com/CoachTomZ/status/866873652431790082

If Mirai could get that combo all the way around how many points would it gain her? And just for fun, how many points would it gain her in a FS at the 10% bonus mark? :D

OM"F"G ... I thought it was possible months ago but thought it was too much to expect!

... Tom better have Mirai start practicing it in the most hot uncomfortable restrictive tight bedazzled costumes to replicate competition pressure.

ETA:

:D Me on April 14th, 2017

She is just about in position to add a 2T, although that is a bit much to expect.

Last edited:

Karpenko

Not Impressed.
Good news on the LP, honestly it's good that I don't have any say because she'd probably skate to TWTIA for 4 seasons until she finally pulls it off :shuffle: - but I think they made the right decision. She couldn't reuse two programs and that LP is too melancholy/smothering (even if David Wilson is a :saint: ).

TWTIA was Mirai as an athlete, not as an artist. Hopefully Jeff gives her something a bit more positive that really compliments the short!

And the 3axel combo is cool, but I learned my lesson after getting my hopes up over that at 2017 Nationals. it's still very cool! :cheer2:

Sasha'sSpins

Damn, did I just see what I think I saw?

I hope so! Tom Z posted that vid but I'm worried someone will come along and point out that it's a 2A-2T rather than a 3A-2T! (Note how blase' I'm being about all this - I don't want to get my hopes up LOL!) On the inside I am, shall we say, very pleased that Mirai feels comfortable enough now with the 3A to throw in a 2T. She did say in the FSO interview that she grades her 3A at about a 'C' though, so surely this is a work in progress. :D (LOVE that she's trying 3A combos just the same!)

bardtoob

And the 3axel combo is cool, but I learned my lesson after getting my hopes up over that at 2017 Nationals. it's still very cool! :cheer2:

:wuzrobbed I am also a much more guarded fan than I used to be, primarily because I had my heart broken more than a couple of times.

However, I am glad for Mirai because of the work she put in and what she has achieved for herself in practice. For athletes, abilities are fleeting. An athlete commented after winning his last championship then retiring, "That's it. This is the best shape of my life. I will never be any better than this, and it will be gone in two weeks." So I am glad for Mirai that she climbed to the top of the highest mountain to see the view for herself. To me, if we see the 3A in competition, it is like her having climbed to the top of the highest mountain and brought a camera so she could share pictures with us, but if she does not have a camera she still did go to the top and see the view, which is more than almost anybody will ever do.

Last edited:

Sasha'sSpins

:wuzrobbed I am also a much more guarded fan than I used to be, primarily because I had my heart broken more than a couple of times.

However, I am glad for Mirai because of the work she put in and what she has achieved for herself in practice. For athletes, abilities are fleeting. An athlete commented after winning his last championship then retiring, "That's it. This is the best shape of my life. I will never be any better than this, and it will be gone in two weeks." So I am glad for Mirai that she climbed to the top of the highest mountain to see the view for herself. To me, if we see the 3A in competition, it is like her having climbed to the top of the highest mountain and brought a camera so she could share pictures with us, but if she does not have a camera she still did go to the top and see the view, which is more than almost anybody will ever do.

Well said! :respec:

DDNatalia

Going for a combo has to help psychologically I would imagine. The question becomes and has always been, whether she can pull this off in competition. Agree with the poster who mentions "full costume" etc. Creating the simulations as best as possible, has tried/true aspect across the discipline. Not just for one element but an entire program too.

bardtoob

Going for a combo has to help psychologically I would imagine. The question becomes and has always been, whether she can pull this off in competition. Agree with the poster who mentions "full costume" etc. Creating the simulations as best as possible, has tried/true aspect across the discipline. Not just for one element but an entire program too.

If Tom Z is reading, I suggest whole run-throughs with 3A in this:

http://www.modigmovie.com/uploads/7/8/0/7/7807744/736528985.jpg?370

:D

leigh466

Does anyone know the jumps (apparently) attempted by Mirai at the Broadmoor jumping event? She was not a finalist, so I assume she fell or popped her attempts?

Sylvia

TBD
Brooklee Han's clip and live tweets about Mirai's combination attempts on Friday night: https://twitter.com/JacksonUltima/status/878437544303763459

ETA clips of her jumps landed in the team event on Saturday from the Aerial Challenge thread in GSD:
Here is Mirai's 2axel-3toe:
https://twitter.com/jacksonultima/status/878722012872667136
3loop:
https://twitter.com/jacksonultima/status/878710699329036289 (please bend your landing knee more and everything will be fine, think Mai Mihara)

^ she's still in a very strong shape, and nothing was >. :cheer2:Woot!
Here's a group photo of Abbott's All Stars team (they finished a close second to Bradley's Brawlers on Saturday): https://www.instagram.com/p/BVyfW2NHM2V/?taken-by=mirainagasu&hl=en

Last edited:

bardtoob

So then, am I correct that Mirai did not leave well enough alone with a 3F-3T-2T and reattempted the try but was less successful in the reattempt?

Sylvia

TBD
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information