Australian skating news

Status
Not open for further replies.

hanca

Values her privacy
Neither. You are mixing apples with oranges. One situation has zero to do with the other.
I am not. What I was trying to say, many skaters are so desperate to find a partner that they would take anyone who is available, as long as they are physicaly compatible. I don’t think they consider the person’s opinions on various things such as his/her moral values, personal character, political leaning etc.

leilaofpaper

Also, given that Australia is unlikely to have more than one spot for pairs at the next Olympics I would bet on Golubeva/Giotopoulos Moore getting that spot.

Only way around that would be if Golubeva cannot get citizenship in time and Harley found an Australian partner.

Foolhardy Ham Lint

Also, given that Australia is unlikely to have more than one spot for pairs at the next Olympics I would bet on Golubeva/Giotopoulos Moore getting that spot.

Only way around that would be if Golubeva cannot get citizenship in time and Harley found an Australian partner.

Slightly off-topic, but Australia's Lachlan Lewer (who used to skate with Campbell Young) recently teamed up with Naomi Williams (also from the US), and qualified to skate in Junior Pairs at the 2023 US Championships in several weeks time.

I'll be interested to see if they end up skating for Australia at some point.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?

Why do you think Australia is likely to only have one pairs spot in 2026? Golubeva/Giotopoulos-Moore are a very talented team who are 1) likely to finish top 10 at Worlds this year, which will 2) give Australia 2 spots for 2024 - and it's a lot harder to lose 2 spots than it is to earn them. There's no reason to think that Windsor and a new partner wouldn't be perfectly capable of making the FS at Worlds 2024, which would likely keep 2 spots for Australia in 2025, and if those two teams can manage that, then I'd say they have a very good shot at maintaining 2 spots for 2026.

Foolhardy Ham Lint

Why do you think Australia is likely to only have one pairs spot in 2026? Golubeva/Giotopoulos-Moore are a very talented team who are 1) likely to finish top 10 at Worlds this year, which will 2) give Australia 2 spots for 2024 - and it's a lot harder to lose 2 spots than it is to earn them. There's no reason to think that Windsor and a new partner wouldn't be perfectly capable of making the FS at Worlds 2024, which would likely keep 2 spots for Australia in 2025, and if those two teams can manage that, then I'd say they have a very good shot at maintaining 2 spots for 2026.
I'm with you.

Chances are if G&G-M skate the same way they did in the free skate at the Junior Grand Prix Final at Worlds, they could find themselves anywhere between tenth and a possible medal.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!

I hear you, assuming that “a certain country from Eastern Europe” isn’t allowed back into ISU events. Less important at the moment is the Chinese skating situation…but we can’t forget them possibly jumping back into the pairs game. A lot can happen with the situation of those two countries before Worlds 2025 & the prelude to 2026 Olympics.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
I hear you, assuming that “a certain country from Eastern Europe” isn’t allowed back into ISU events. Less important at the moment is the Chinese skating situation…but we can’t forget them possibly jumping back into the pairs game.
Yes, however, as long as they aren't back before THIS year's Worlds, they aren't going to be as big of a factor as they could be because Worlds 2024 they'll only be able to send 1 team and there's no guarantee that team will place 1st or 2nd and earn more than 2 spots for Worlds 2025, which makes it easier for every other country to keep the 2 or 3 spots they've managed to earn during this quad.

aussieSKATES

SUMMER 2023 E-ZINE FOR DOWNLOAD (8MB)
aussieSKATES: Figure Skating Downunder™ invites you to enjoy our special photo galleries of Australian and New Zealand ice stars competing during the 2022/23 international skating season.

aussieSKATES would like to thank Robin Ritoss Photography for her kind permission to use the images featured in this PDF publication.

Click on the WeTransfer link below to download one or all of the PDF files.

https://we.tl/t-vdToSQNGXo

aussieSKATES

We really enjoyed seeing Naomi Williams and Australia's Lachlan Lewer skate at the recent U.S Championships in the Junior Pairs event. They are currently at the Bavarian Open in Oberstdorf, Germany, aiming for the TES necessary to compete at the upcoming World Junior Championships, too.

Bunny Hop

Queen of the Workaround
Some great news for Sydney skaters today. Canterbury Ice Rink secured the $17.7 million dollar Government grant for the necessary structural repairs and other improvements. If everything goes well re-opening should be towards the end fo 2024.

I know the rink's Co-Op board (all volunteers) worked really hard to achieve this, particularly Danielle O'Brien (on top of her full time job) who almost single handedly wrote the final grant submission.

ABC News Article
Sydney Morning Herald Article.

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
Some great news for Sydney skaters today. Canterbury Ice Rink secured the $17.7 million dollar Government grant for the necessary structural repairs and other improvements. If everything goes well re-opening should be towards the end fo 2024.

I know the rink's Co-Op board (all volunteers) worked really hard to achieve this, particularly Danielle O'Brien (on top of her full time job) who almost single handedly wrote the final grant submission.

ABC News Article
Sydney Morning Herald Article.
I was so happy to see this! Can't wait to see the new improved Canterbury.

Sylvia

TBD
Maria Chernyshova, the former pairs partner of Harley Windsor, is scheduled to compete in the Senior Women's Division at the Central Coast Figure Skating Club Championships in NSW this weekend.
Senior Women FS protocols: https://nswisa.z8.web.core.windows....------FNL-000100--_JudgesDetailsperSkater.pdf
Pl.NameClubNationTSS
=
TES
+
PCS
+
COPRSKDed.
-
StN.
1​
Maria CHERNYSHOVAMISCNSW
67.64​
32.58​
37.06​
4.44​
4.50​
4.94​
2.00​
#2​
2​
Simone AUBRECHTLCCISCNSW
63.95​
32.41​
33.54​
4.06​
4.19​
4.31​
2.00​
#1​

Oceania International Day 2 is underway - competition thread in Kiss & Cry has results & livestream links:

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
Maria Chernyshova is entered in next month's Hollins International: https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/th...club-competitions-june-9-12-erina-aus.110734/

A new Junior pair team is listed for the Hollins club competition - Peyton Bellamy-Martins (Novice level singles skater) & Kryshtof Pradeaux (Junior level man).

Ice Skating Australia's AGM was held on 20 May 2023: https://www.isa.org.au/isa-agm-2023
According to their Facebook post, Jonathan Guerreiro is listed as the new chair for Athlete Development.

aussieSKATES

WINTER 2023 E-ZINE FOR DOWNLOAD (8MB)

aussieSKATES: Figure Skating Downunder™ invites you to enjoy our special photo galleries of Australian and New Zealand ice stars competing during the 2022/23 international skating season.

aussieSKATES would like to thank Robin Ritoss Photography for her kind permission to use the images featured in this PDF publication.

Click on the WeTransfer link below to download one or all of the PDF files.

https://we.tl/t-X3nY4i7jHD

starrynight

According to their Facebook post, Jonathan Guerreiro is listed as the new chair for Athlete Development
I can see that Jonathan still has a long Insta post up defending Valieva against the doping allegations. Although I expect that was part of his involvement and obligations in the Russian Federation.

I’d be fascinated to know what foreign athletes competing for Russia actually think/know about that whole situation. Cause I expect that someone like Jonathan who completed high school in Australia wouldn’t actually buy the whole ‘evil west’ trope that I understand locals could believe.

Last edited:

aussieSKATES

A great interview from Tatiana Flade with Australia's Golubeva & Giotopoulos-Moore.

aussieSKATES

Team Australia has earned berths in the following ISU Grand Prix Series Events:

Skate America
Allen, Texas
October 20-22, 2023

Holly Harris & Jason Chan (Ice Dance)
Skate Canada International
Vancouver, British Columbia
October 27-29, 2023

Anastasia Golubeva & Hektor Giotopoulos Moore (Pairs)
NHK Trophy
Osaka, Japan
24-26 November, 2023

Anastasia Golubeva & Hektor Giotopoulos Moore (Pairs)

Foolhardy Ham Lint

Reinforcing Hana's selection for the JGP Series Event in Bangkok, please enjoy her dynamic free skate from last weekend's Swan Trophy in WA.

Last edited:

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
Reinforcing Hana's selection for the JGP Series Event in Bangkok, please enjoy her dynamic free skate from last weekend's Swan Trophy in WA.

Beautiful skate from Hana! Dynamic (zippy), w/great 3lz-3t, right after her 3ax attempt. Looking forward to her JGP appearances!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information