2022-23 US Pairs Discussion - Second to None!

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
Looks like Megan Wessenberg is searching for a partner.

Evgeniafan

Looks like Megan Wessenberg is searching for a partner.
She needs a good partner. Any ideas?

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
She needs a good partner. Any ideas?
She wasn't some remarkable pairs girl from what I saw last season, so her pickings may be slim. I did notice that Balasz Nagy seems to be skating at SCoB, or at least hanging out with the SCoB guys (Mitrofanov and someone else - can't recall off the top of my head who it was) recently. She's 24, so the chances of her finding a good partner are probably low unless she's willing to relocate or change citizenship. In that case... There's Harley Windsor.

Evgeniafan

She wasn't some remarkable pairs girl from what I saw last season, so her pickings may be slim. I did notice that Balasz Nagy seems to be skating at SCoB, or at least hanging out with the SCoB guys (Mitrofanov and someone else - can't recall off the top of my head who it was) recently. She's 24, so the chances of her finding a good partner are probably low unless she's willing to relocate or change citizenship. In that case... There's Harley Windsor.
She's from the Boston area, so SCOB would be perfect.

clairecloutier

A profile of new U.S. junior pair team Naomi Williams/Lachlan Lewer, who will compete at Junior Worlds this week:

Hard to believe that Naomi had no pairs experience just 6 months ago & is already doing triple twist and difficult lifts!! :eek:

Sylvia

TBD
GREAT job today by both U.S. pairs in Calgary :) - B/T landed their sbs 2A (as did W/L) and had 3Tw4 & StSq4 plus attempted and landed their first throw triple toe loop in competition with positive GOE! :cheer:

1​
Q​
Sophia BARAM / Daniel TIOUMENTSEVUSA
66.95​
38.87​
28.08​
7.04​
7.14​
6.93​
0.00​
#10​
7​
Q​
Naomi WILLIAMS / Lachlan LEWERUSA
52.13​
30.22​
21.91​
5.54​
5.32​
5.61​
0.00​
#1​

Photo of/quote from B/T after their SP: https://twitter.com/goldenskate/status/1631021231104471040

Copied out from ISU's press conference document:

Tioumentsev: Very exciting skate today - congratulations to everyone else that competed. Honestly, I couldn't have asked for anything better; I'm very happy with the results.
(on their preparation for this competition) From the Junior Grand Prix Final to here we definitely decided to do a triple toe throw. We kept our training pretty much the same - we just focused on smaller details and (correcting) the smaller mistakes in our last competition.
(on the altitude in Calgary) The altitude definitely hit us on the first day but over the past few days we've adapted to it and it got easier and easier and today it felt pretty normal.

Baram: (on their decision to add the throw triple toe loop for the first time in competition) We decided to add in the throw triple exactly one week ago (laughs). It came out of nowhere and it was consistent so we just thought to do it here since it's our last competition of the season.
(on the altitude in Calgary) On the first day of practice we did a choreo run through with very minimal elements and I couldn't breathe - it was very hard! Then on the second practice on the first day we got used to it - our training definitely helped.

Williams/Lewer's post-SP photo & quote: https://twitter.com/goldenskate/status/1630998062792409097

ETA link to watch the ISU video of Baram/Tioumentsev's winning SP on Wednesday: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDWzPwMPzlo

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
USFS' media alert sent out today: https://twitter.com/rockerskating/status/1631372759845437440
Todd Sand, coach of B/T, has been hospitalized after suffering a heart attack early Thursday morning in Calgary.
:(

Reportedly he is in stable condition now and I've heard Sonia Baram's mother/coach will help coach the team in the FS tonight.

ETA that I didn't see the thread that was started by Jayar earlier in the Junior Worlds subforum in Kiss & Cry.

Last edited:

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will

mtnskater

So moved to tears by the performance of Baram and Tioumentsev in the free skate under very difficult circumstances. Such a meaningful World title for them and their coaching team.

Sending love and light to Todd and Jenni and hoping to hear good news about his recovery.

susieB129

I’ve often thought of posting this in the “Unpopular Opinions” thread:

Todd Sand has caught a lot of crap on this board (not necessarily mean-spirited, but still), but the truth is, his name is plastered all over the US pairs landscape for the past 30 years: national championships with two partners, world medals with two partners, three Olympics and, now, the coach of the current senior and junior world pairs champions. He and Jenni have built the preeminent pairs program in this country. Respect must be paid! (And, of course, best wishes for the speediest of recoveries!)

Sylvia

TBD
^^^ From Alexa's Instagram post: "Todd is still fighting. We aren’t out of the woods yet and all hope and positivity is needed."

The Orange County Register reported that "Jenni Meno-Sand, his wife, co-coach and former skating partner, was on her way from Orange County to Alberta on Thursday morning."
The Orange County-based team of Sophia Baram and Daniel Tioumentsev won the World Junior Figure Skating Championships pairs gold medal on Thursday night in Calgary Alberta just hours after their coach, Todd Sand, suffered a heart attack.
Sand, 59, remained hospitalized in Calgary on Thursday night after suffering a heart attack early Thursday morning. Sand, a two-time Olympian, had coached Baram and Tioumentsev in Wednesday night’s short program which the American team won.
Baram and Tioumentsev won Thursday night’s free skate as well to become the first U.S. team to medal in the pairs competition since 2013.
“We skated tonight for Todd and everyone that helped us this year,” Tioumentsev told reporters afterward. “We tried to think of what he told us and we hope he is doing alright.”
ETA that the news thread about Todd Sand is now in GSD:

Last edited:

angi

Alexa Knierim has an IG post praising Todd Sand for his support as a coach.

It also makes reference to her time training with Savchenko.
The little she writes about their time with Aljona is alarming, from losing all her grit and self love, to developing anxiety and fear that made her stop mid skates. Adding it to the recent tidbits from Bruno paints a very worrying picture regarding Aljona's current career as a coach.

Karen-W

The little she writes about their time with Aljona is alarming, from losing all her grit and self love, to developing anxiety and fear that made her stop mid skates. Adding it to the recent tidbits from Bruno paints a very worrying picture regarding Aljona's current career as a coach.
Except that was 3+ years ago and Aljona was just beginning her transition to coaching. Perhaps she's learning from those early experiences and becoming a better coach.

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
Alexa Knierim has an IG post praising Todd Sand for his support as a coach.

It also makes reference to her time training with Savchenko.

I’m having coffee right now and I just saw her latest post. It was very refreshing to see her share some of her story. So sad to hear that that very brief time she spent in Germany she lost her self love.

angi

Except that was 3+ years ago and Aljona was just beginning her transition to coaching. Perhaps she's learning from those early experiences and becoming a better coach.
I agree and very much hope she's changed for the better, but she did have some questionable moments in the past 3+ years, the main one that comes to my mind is taking a minor she was coaching as a surrogate babysitter for her daughter when she went to the US for the whole TJ debacle.

Karen-W

I agree and very much hope she's changed for the better, but she did have some questionable moments in the past 3+ years, the main one that comes to my mind is taking a minor she was coaching as a surrogate babysitter for her daughter when she went to the US for the whole TJ debacle.
Agreed, but we don't know all of the details with that arrangement, and she certainly seems to be in a better place with regard to childcare now that her parents have joined her in the Netherlands.

Sylvia

TBD
ICYMI, link to the thread for Todd Sand in GSD:

"We are excited and inspired to be skating our 2023/24 freeskate program to the soundtrack of “Top Gun: Maverick” featuring “Hold my Hand” by Lady Gaga." - Plazas/Fernandez's post tonight on their vmskates IG account: https://www.instagram.com/p/CpeLA2LL-gF/

aml78

Looks like Alexa’s friends threw her a goodbye party so I think that’s unofficial confirmation she’s moving to Chicago at the end of the season.

She also posted a pic of Todd on a plane so I assume he’s going home. That’s a pretty good sign that he didn’t need bypass surgery. Hopefully just a visit to the cath lab which is a much easier recovery for him. Wishing him well.

Sylvia

TBD
Looks like Alexa’s friends threw her a goodbye party so I think that’s unofficial confirmation she’s moving to Chicago at the end of the season.
Yes.

She also posted a pic of Todd on a plane so I assume he’s going home.
Old photo (eta that Alexa has since confirmed - via her latest IG story - was from last season & then added: “Mr. Sand is fighting hard in Calgary”).

Fundraising page link (new today) is posted in the Todd Sand thread, post #74, here: https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/threads/todd-sand-hospitalized.110543/page-3#post-6403916

Last edited:

Karen-W

Gabriella Izzo just announced on her IG what some of us have speculated was coming since Nats - https://www.instagram.com/p/Cp_iCWMrYzc/

NEW THINGS ARE COMING 🙌

Huge thank you to @chris_knierim for an amazing spring break strengthening my pair skills!!!

As much as I have enjoyed my singles career, I am overjoyed to announce and begin my next chapter as a pairs skater!

Looking forward to exploring new partnerships, reaching new heights (literally), and growing through new opportunities💛

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information