Gymnastics News #23: Defying Gravity

Status
Not open for further replies.

Allskate

Congrats to the men's AA medalists.

Good for Brody for rebounding after the team final. (Imagine if he had performed like that in the team final. :( )

Kudos to Asher for an impressive Worlds debut. I'm really looking forward to watching him develop even more. He and Shilese are gaining some very valuable experience this week and should gain confidence as well.

Rob

Beach Bum
Yep. Since I was watching skating I was late into the Mens today, but was able to pull the bubble on th scroll bar back to Start and was able to watch from the beginning. I'm almost hour behind but at least can watch it all.
But no replay of Womens Team or AA? I couldn’t find them but I’m not used to Peacock.

Rob

Beach Bum
I watched after skating and was overall more impressed with Asher, even with his mistakes on vault and high bar, than Malone. :shuffle:
Yes Asher is going for the difficulty. I usually like the gymnast with the longer lines, but I think Asher has the potential to medal in the future.

Debbie S

Just checked results of events so far (was out this morning and then watched the end of the GPdF FD)....yay, Jade! And Jordan!:cheer2:

Sorry, I missed the prelims....what happened that Andrade didn't make the vault final?

And uh oh for Andrade on bars. :(

ETA: Great job by Shilese! But that step at the end where she had to hop to the lower mat was a bit scary.

ETA#2: Are the bars cursed?! :eek:

Rob

Beach Bum
Just checked results of events so far (was out this morning and then watched the end of the GPdF FD)....yay, Jade! And Jordan!:cheer2:

Sorry, I missed the prelims....what happened that Andrade didn't make the vault final?

And uh oh for Andrade on bars. :(

ETA: Great job by Shilese! But that step at the end where she had to hop to the lower mat was a bit scary.

ETA#2: Are the bars cursed?! :eek:
Andrade missed her hands on her second vault in prelims.

A.H.Black

Can I just say, I really like Laurie Hernandez’s commentary compared to Nastia’s. I hope they keep her.
I like Laurie quite well. I can see me getting sick of her talking too much, however, I think she has improved just since this last summer when I first heard her. I think John Rothlesburger is a good addition as well. He makes Tim keep on his toes and, together, they add a bit of spark. Terry makes all of them sound good.

D

Deleted member 221

Surprised we didn't see a single Amanar in the vault finals. I guess the Cheng is more valuable as a first vault, and Carey didn't need any more base value / risk on the second vault?

Rob

Beach Bum
Surprised we didn't see a single Amanar in the vault finals. I guess the Cheng is more valuable as a first vault, and Carey didn't need any more base value / risk on the second vault?
I also was thinking it was weird, used to be so routine. But at 5.4 and a lot of deductions if the legs go all egg beater, not worth it. Plus the injury risk.

Simone411

To Boldly Explore Figure Skating Around The World
I'm just wondering if the 2022 World Gymastics Championships on Peacock at the moment is live or if it's a replay. I'm watching on Peacock. I believe it's a replay of the Apparatus events but it's showing Live in the top left corner.

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
The Amanar has been devalued relative to other high level vaults so very little incentive to do it.

I think the money quote from Laurie is "Lot of falls today."

Leaders of this sport need to go back to the drawing board. This championship has been wipeout central.

beckab81

I'm just wondering if the 2022 World Gymastics Championships on Peacock at the moment is live or if it's a replay. I'm watching on Peacock. I believe it's a replay of the Apparatus events but it's showing Live in the top left corner.
Day 2 is showing live - Men's vault & BB are done, P-bars, Women's floor & high bar still to come. And Ellie Black got a silver on beam!!

her grace

Team Guignard/Fabbri
Thought Black should’ve beaten Watanabe’s beam score. Best three on the podium, but not in the order I’d have placed them. C’est la vie.

danafan

Canadian ladies über
Sigh Ellie Black was so close to becoming a world champion today. They did not credit the full turn in her turn combo, which cost her 0.1 in D score. There was an inquiry but it was rejected. She also missed her mount connection. Oh well silver still shines and this will just motivate her for next year!

D

Deleted member 221

Skye Blakely's effing ribbon! That was a World Champion performance otherwise. She was a different class from everyone else.

Disappointing beam medallists for me - pedestrian routines with lots of balance checks and missed connections.

Simone411

To Boldly Explore Figure Skating Around The World
Day 2 is showing live - Men's vault & BB are done, P-bars, Women's floor & high bar still to come. And Ellie Black got a silver on beam!!
Thank you. I haven't been around awhile and just purchased Peacock again.

Aaron MB Fan

Congrats to Ellie Black on her Silver medal on BB! So happy for her!! What a breakthrough Worlds for her on her 10th team.

If I remember correctly, this is technically Ellie’s first ever Individual Apparatus Event Final medal ever at a Worlds or Olympic level competition. She’s had countless event finals and finished as high as 4th, but never a medal. This of course complements her past Silver in the AA in 2017 and now Team Bronze!

Rob

Beach Bum
Balance beam scoring so puzzling! I saw so many bobbles and balance checks in the gold medal routine and with the low start value, I just don’t get it. The lower start values are winning on this event. I get that a fall is fatal, if you add the difficulty, FIG will just take it away in deductions.

Debbie S

Jennifer Gadirova clearly inspired by this season's RD theme. :lol:

Agree with John that Jade and Jordan were underscored. Wait, Jade's score got lowered, wtf?!

her grace

Team Guignard/Fabbri
Did Carey just inquiry herself off the podium?

Reminds me of when USAG inquiried Eaker out of beam finals. 🤦‍♀️

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information