Gymnastics News #23: Defying Gravity

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob

Beach Bum
US was basically a hit routine away from bronze. But they left it all in quals. When you think about the last couple of quads, their team leader (Sam) was good in quals, but was among the least consistent when a World or Olympic medal was within his grasp. Not the way to build the swagger that the US Women's legacy enjoys.

VGThuy

Injuries seem much more common in gymnastics than most other sports. I can tell it's a much more dangerous sport than most and requires much more out of the body than most other sports (which are already testing the limits of human ability...which is why there are drug issues), but I wonder if this is just something gym fans and the athletes have to live with or if there's a better way. Even in the past where routines weren't so demanding, there were will issues with injuries.

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
Nothing like starting off an all-around with very likely the string quartet tribute to Madonna's Material Girl. :lol:

just tuned in

I would like to post this in all the threads: A Spanish gymnast is doing her floor ex to a slowed-down trombone-heavy instrumental of Madonna's "Material Girl."

BaileyCatts

does the peacock feed keep buffering for everyone or is it just me and my phone? ggrrrr.

Player error? What?? is this just my phone?? dammit. :mad:

BaileyCatts

can Shilese's coach not move that crash mat closer because it seems like every time she does bars so lands sssooo close to the edge of that mat it makes her off balance and take a step. can't they move that mat in closer? it seems like she does this every time on bars.

or is that a stationary mat. :shuffle:

Last edited:

honey

can Shilese's coach not move that crash mat closer because it seems like every time she does bars so lands sssooo close to the edge of that mat it makes her off balance and take a step. can't they move that mat in closer? it seems like she does this every time on bars.

or is that a stationary mat. :shuffle:
Someone asked this on Gymcastic the other day and Jessica said the mat is in the awkward place because Shilese is quite tall. If they moved it in farther under the bar, she might hit her feet on it on her giants. Take this with a grain of salt because that was Jessica’s take on it, but that seems maybe like a plausible explanation? It makes me :yikes:too when I look at the placement.

tony

wow. Jessica just did the longest floor routine in history. with all the constant buffering thru her whole routine it took me almost 6 minutes for me to see her 90 second floor routine. :mad:
On Peacock? I never have problems with buffering or any of that unless it's a site-wide issue like we saw with losing the feed and sound at times during Skate Canada.

BaileyCatts

yes. on peacock. its been buffering for the entire competition. it even completely stopped and I had to log back into the event.

VGThuy

Looking forwards towards the EF, usually vault provides the most diversity among the teams represented, but it seems beam has great diversity as well (even with three Japanese WAG placing in the top 8 and of course only 2 qualifying for EF). The Floor Final seems to have the least diversity...by some way.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
yes. on peacock. its been buffering for the entire competition. it even completely stopped and I had to log back into the event.
I didn't have any buffering issues, so I'm guessing it's your own connectivity that is the problem.

tylersf

Congrats to the medalists. I'm really happy for Shilese winning silver when she has struggled to get chosen for teams in the past. I just love her gymnastics!
Is it my imagination, or did Shilese not look happy about the silver. It's her first time at Worlds, and I would have been super happy. Was she expected to win?

Allskate

Is it my imagination, or did Shilese not look happy about the silver. It's her first time at Worlds, and I would have been super happy. Was she expected to win?
I watched the medal ceremony, and she didn't look unhappy to me.

She might have been unhappy with herself about a couple of unnecessary bobbles on leaps during her beam routine. I think Jade probably is reliving the beam and a couple of floor landings, too. These gymnasts demand a lot of themselves.

tylersf

I watched the medal ceremony, and she didn't look unhappy to me.

She might have been unhappy with herself about a couple of unnecessary bobbles on leaps during her beam routine. I think Jade probably is reliving the beam and a couple of floor landings, too. These gymnasts demand a lot of themselves.
True. I thought both Jade and Shilese were solid performers and I hope they will someday be proud of their accomplishments. There is always event finals!

skatfan

I didn’t see the medal ceremony, but in an interview with Gymcastic she looked very happy.

alexikeguchi

I didn’t see the medal ceremony, but in an interview with Gymcastic she looked very happy.

Here is somewhat distant footage of the medal ceremony. She looks perfectly satisfied, and there is no hesitation in congratulating the other athletes or taking her spot on the podium. I think she just doesn't have as effusive a personality as say Jordan Chiles, or Rebeca Andrade.

bardtoob

Rebecca's vault is what set her apart, and I think the scoring reflected the performance. Congratulations to her 👏

BaileyCatts

Are the gymnastics like skating on Peacock and no replay to be found?
Yep. Since I was watching skating I was late into the Mens today, but was able to pull the bubble on th scroll bar back to Start and was able to watch from the beginning. I'm almost hour behind but at least can watch it all.

tony

Tim Daggett is so flip-floppy. He goes overboard in his 'ooh's and 'ahh's over nothing, and then just tried to say it would be close for bronze while listing all the possible deductions for Tanigawa. Then when the score came up and it wasn't really that close, he tried to explain that was the right call and he agreed with it :lol:

Reminds me of Scott Hamilton repeatedly questioning whether Yagudin was giving up the LP to Plushenko and possibly Goebel in 2002, only to change his tune the second his scores came up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information