Just call me Harry. (Everything Harry & Meghan)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Allskate

Harry has apparently put out a statement regarding his lack of military dress...thank you Harry. I can't link on my phone. He says his military service is not reflected by a uniform and to please save your thoughts for Her Majesty, not him.

This is paraphrased.

Here's an article that includes the exact language of the statement:

MLIS

Yes. I am somewhat mystified by people saying this was sudden and unexpected. She was bowing out of appearances for health reasons including ones at her own Jubilee! Just because she was able to make a good show for one brief appearance recently doesn't mean she was in good health.
I think it was both expected and unexpected, if that makes sense. Yes, she had obviously been getting more frail and unable to do things, and everyone knew logically the end was coming, but the final crisis seems to have been sudden. People who met with her that week (Boris Johnson, the photographer for that event) said she was physically frail, but bright and cheerful and engaged. For me it’s that it seemed to be a surprise for her family. I saw an interview with Jenna Bush, who was in the UK to interview Camilla about her book club the day the queen ended up dying. She had dinner with Charles the night before and he was relaxed and cheerful. She was there at their house, setting up her cameras and getting ready for the interview, and suddenly phones started ringing off the hook and people were running up and down the halls and then she heard a helicopter and staff came in to tell her Charles and Camilla were gone. That seems sudden and unexpected to me. The pictures of Sophie and Anne and the granddaughters viewing the flowers at Balmoral … they all seemed in shock. Not just mourning, as they would anyway, but shock.

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
There's been some public criticism of King Charles regarding the pen incidents, but random people on Twitter who don't strike me as monarchists are pushing back, pointing out that he has lost both his parents within a year of one another, is dealing with his two offspring being estranged from one another and has to cope with all of this in public. I'm surprised and glad to see people sticking up for him.

Nadya

Harry has apparently put out a statement regarding his lack of military dress...thank you Harry. I can't link on my phone. He says his military service is not reflected by a uniform and to please save your thoughts for Her Majesty, not him.

This is paraphrased.
Oh for crissakes. Harry! If you want this time to be all about your grandmother, here's free advice: stop issuing stupid statements. No one cares what you wear. The obsession with having the last word is stupid.

Nadya

Yeah. The chances of a regency becoming necessary seem quite low. Charles will probably reign for 10-15 years and by then George would be an adult anyway (he's already 9). The likelihood of both Charles and William dying during the next 9 years isn't zero but it's probably not much higher than that.

I saw this video on Twitter of Harry talking about why he and Meghan left England. This has probably been posted here in the past, but I hadn't seen it yet. Pretty sobering hearing his perspective on things, and I can totally understand why he feels the way he does. He brought up a few angles I hadn't thought about before. Just made me feel again that the introduction of Meghan to the royal family was a litmus test of sorts that they failed entirely.

All the kudos and honors currently being paid to the Queen are a pleasant acknowledgment of her personal strength and character, but I still suspect the monarchy may end sooner rather than later.

This has been made public a long time. Btw I don't believe a single word of it. Two grown adults making a career out of whining and personal grievances while being privileged beyond belief is such a turnoff.

I say this with utmost kindness: Harry. Your mother didn't die because she was chased to her death. She died because she didn't put her seatbelt on. And because she courted the paps and thought she could manage them to appear whenever she wants and disappear whenever she wants.

Also, in a scenario "my mother was in a relationship with a nonwhite person and now she'd dead", it would be Harry who'd end up dead, not Meghan. But then Harry hasn't really ever been an academic powerhouse to see stupid gaps in his logic.

vgerdes

I am somewhat mystified by people saying this was sudden and unexpected. She was bowing out of appearances for health reasons including ones at her own Jubilee! Just because she was able to make a good show for one brief appearance recently doesn't mean she was in good health.

I have some experience with this. My father was seriously ill in the year before his death, and we had been told he was likely not to survive, but he fought back and had appeared to be on the road to a full recovery. He was even talking about going back to work. One Sunday he was up on the podium at church (where he was a deacon and lay minister) making an announcement when he suffered a sudden, massive heart attack and never regained consciousness. It was a huge shock to our family, even though we had been expecting his death just about a month or so earlier. You're never fully prepared for it.

Cachoo

There's been some public criticism of King Charles regarding the pen incidents, but random people on Twitter who don't strike me as monarchists are pushing back, pointing out that he has lost both his parents within a year of one another, is dealing with his two offspring being estranged from one another and has to cope with all of this in public. I'm surprised and glad to see people sticking up for him.

So much scrutiny…. I wonder if he ever wishes he could rule, say, around 1900.

Last edited:

cygnus

There's no way a commoner would be chosen as regent imo. Or a female in our still-paternal society.
Really? After 70 years of female monarchy? History is littered with female regents and rulers. Margaret for her son Henry Vl, Catherine of Aragon for Henry Vlll (yes, really!) when he was in France for a time, Mary of Guise in Scotland for her absent daughter Mary Queen of Scots, Queen Victoria's mother would have been for her daughter, but Victoria made 18 by a matter of days, so she wasn't needed (much to Victoria's delight), Catherine de Medici in France. This list goes on. If it was ok in the 15th, 16th and 19th centuries, it would be ok now. And nobody cares about the commoner thing in this day and age.

once_upon

Better off than 2020
Honestly Meghan could bring sustenance to every single person waiting to pay respects to the Queen and would be criticized for not doing enough or doing too much.

Maybe, just maybe if someone held Harry's hand when walking behind his mother's casket 25 years ago, he would have felt less alone.

Garden Kitty

Tranquillo
Does anyone know who was marching with William and Harry in the second row ?
(was at work today and am just watching some clips now). Thanks.

puglover

I thought it was lovely to see Harry and Meghan walk around holding hands. PDAs have always appeared to be avoided by senior royals and Prince Philip in formal processions walked 3 steps behind his wife, the Queen. William should not be criticized for not holding Catherine's hand as per royal protocol. They are following their own paths and they are very different.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
FWIW the anonymous royal correspondent in Private Eye magazine has been saying for the last couple of months that the Queen was much more fragile and unwell than the Palace was publicly admitting.

becca

FWIW the anonymous royal correspondent in Private Eye magazine has been saying for the last couple of months that the Queen was much more fragile and unwell than the Palace was publicly admitting.
I honestly think the death of a 96 year old person should never be shocking. I actually would love to think for her sake she was in great shape right up to the day she died. Rather than in agonizing pain.

She had been canceling many engagements.

Cachoo

I honestly think the death of a 96 year old person should never be shocking. I actually would love to think for her sake she was in great shape right up to the day she died. Rather than in agonizing pain.

It is hard to watch someone fail. It is a little easier when you know it has more to do with age. But it still hurts. I was impressed that she welcomed the new PM two days before she passed.

once_upon

Better off than 2020

It is hard to watch someone fail. It is a little easier when you know it has more to do with age. But it still hurts. I was impressed that she welcomed the new PM two days before she passed.
You can see them fail - you can know death is imminent - your mind knows all that. Still when death happens, you put your hand on their chest, you listen for the next breath, you look at each other in the room for verification that indeed the person has died.

Your mind and heart aren't always in sync.

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
Brits or people who follow British politics, how long would she have known that there would be a new prime minister? Because it almost seems like she held on to swear that person in.

sk9tingfan

Brits or people who follow British politics, how long would she have known that there would be a new prime minister? Because it almost seems like she held on to swear that person in.
Johnson resigned at the beginning of July and had been in trouble for months before that with an overall lack of confidence from his party as well as his cabinet ministers who were resigning in droves before that.

becca

You can see them fail - you can know death is imminent - your mind knows all that. Still when death happens, you put your hand on their chest, you listen for the next breath, you look at each other in the room for verification that indeed the person has died.

Your mind and heart aren't always in sync.
Oh of course her family and those who love her are still devestated.

But the public should not be so shocked.

once_upon

Better off than 2020
But the public should not be so shocked.
As I said your mind can know she's 96, your heart has only known one monarch.

Your mind and heart aren't always in agreement. I think that's why there are huge crowds. They need to see her casket to put some finality to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information