2022-23 US Pairs Discussion - Second to None!

AngieNikodinovLove

Frangi & Piazza & Paul & Hektor & Theo. Oh My! 😝
Per the USFS international assignments page Smirnova/Siianytsia have withdrawn from the Nebelhorn Trophy :(

Hopefully it's nothing serious and they'll be ready for Skate America

Otherwise skate America in pairs I mean they’re gonna be at a point where they’re gonna have to call up John and Rena to come compete with this depleted field

AngieNikodinovLove

Bite your effin' tongue!!!! Next you'll be suggesting Scott & Dulebohn come out of retirement.
I mean they are national treasures. I’m about a moment away from hauling out the ole Rolodex and giving Johnnie and Tiffany a call saying the USFS needs you and bad!

And to fill out the rest of the field at skate America I’m gonna have to be stern with Minerva and tell her she better show up with my boy Nolan and get it together as they are needed.

Karen-W

Checking Senior Bs for TES mins...
I mean they are national treasures. I’m about a moment away from hauling out the ole Rolodex and giving Johnnie and Tiffany a call saying the USFS needs you and bad!

And to fill out the rest of the field at skate America I’m gonna have to be stern with Minerva and tell her she better show up with my boy Nolan and get it together as they are needed.
Baldwins, Stieglers... If we're going with first and best families of US Pairs skating, why not go back to Kitty & Peter?

AngieNikodinovLove

Baldwins, Stieglers... If we're going with first and best families of US Pairs skating, why not go back to Kitty & Peter?
Well as per our post from yesterday you do know I have my experience of flying coast to coast with him. I have an in with him and I also have an in with Terry Gannon although I’m probably better off with the first one

Karen-W

Adding in the NQS scores from Cranberry Open over the weekend:

SENIOR PAIRS
Baram/Tioumentsev 179.64
Plazas/Fernandez 151.08
Mokhova/Mokhov 160.48
Wessenberg/Eisenach 147.26
Hanns/Neudecker (new) 147.12
Digerness/Sadusky (new) 145.34
Kam/Meyh 137.06
Ouellette/Newby-Estrella (new) 115.29
Fitzpatrick/Bearinger (new) 109.21
Haven't seen this updated to include the SoCal Open Championships results - no senior pairs competed, but there were three junior teams.

JUNIOR PAIRS teams:
Baram/Tioumentsev 158.34 --> 171.36 at JGP Ostrava
Korytek/Chapman (new) 142.63 --> 151.32 at SoCal Open
Smith/Deng 137.66 --> 140.72 at JGP Ostrava
Catherine Rivers/Nathan Rensing (new) 114.80
Kayla Black/Kamden Black 94.99
Lilianna Murray/Jordan Gillette 94.83
Olivia Flores/Luke Wang (new) 93.86
Melania Delis/Jaden Schwab (new) 93.04
Margaret Church/William Church 88.44

Ouelette/Newby-Estrella are scheduled to compete in senior pairs at this weekend's Skate Houston.

There are three remaining pairs qualifying events scheduled for next weekend: Middle Atlantics/John Nicks Pairs Challenge (international scores will count toward NQS), Greater Chicagoland Fall Invitational, and Skate St. Moritz in Oakland. Can't wait to see the entry lists for these upcoming events!

@Sylvia - any insight into why Korytek/Chapman haven't been added to the ISP? Do we know their ages? I'm really surprised about this since I fully expected them to be added after they scored so well in both of their events and the dearth of junior pairs we have to send out internationally.

Last edited:

ice coverage

Haven't seen this updated to include the SoCal Open Championships results - no senior pairs competed, but there were three junior teams.

JUNIOR PAIRS current top 3 teams:
Baram/Tioumentsev 158.34 --> 171.36 at JGP Ostrava
Korytek/Chapman (new) 142.63 --> 151.32 at SoCal Open
Smith/Deng 137.66 --> 140.72 at JGP Ostrava
Catherine Rivers/Nathan Rensing (new) 103.92 at SoCal Open
Melania Delis/Jaden Schwab (new) 88.01 at SoCal Open ...

If I understand correctly that this list is intended to cover highest scores of the season, then scores from Glacier Falls and elsewhere are missing:

Rivers/Rensing 114.80 at GF
Kayla Black/Kamden Black 94.99 at GF
Lilianna Murray/Jordan Gillette 94.83 at Skate Detroit
Olivia Flores/Luke Wang 93.86 at Cup of Colorado
Delis/Schwab 93.04 at GF

Last edited:

Karen-W

If I understand correctly that this list is intended to cover highest scores of the season, then scores from Glacier Falls and elsewhere are missing:

Rivers/Rensing 114.80
Kayla Black/Kamden Black 94.99
Lilianna Murray/Jordan Gillete 94.83
Olivia Flores/Luke Wang 93.86
Delis/Schwab 93.04
Thanks! I'll edit to include those scores!

I went back and checked the previous pairs NQS events and also added in the score from Church/Church. We have 9 junior pairs teams - hopefully they will all qualify for Nationals.

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
teamtoddandjenni's post with photos/screenshots: https://www.instagram.com/p/CiAsRmcv_te/ (ETA that I see congratulations in the comments from Katia Gordeeva, who helped coach Sonia in her previous partnership, Tai Babilonia, Audrey Lu...)
"Junior Grand Prix Champions!!
Great job Sonia and Daniel!
#greatparkpairs #teamusa🇺🇸 #jgpostrava2022"

Congrats to Cayla Smith & Andy Deng on their SILVER in Ostrava!

Mark Hanretty's interview with Sonia & Daniel after the medal ceremony :): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCYFJahH3AI
Tioumentsev confirms that their 2nd JGP will be the final one with pairs - #6 in Gdansk, Poland.

ETA link to Baram/Tioumentsev's FS (107.59) in Ostrava (171.36 total): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nh0jv_TRZxE (they were so excited when their scores came up! :))

Last edited:

ice coverage

Thanks! I'll edit to include those scores!

I went back and checked the previous pairs NQS events and also added in the score from Church/Church. We have 9 junior pairs teams - hopefully they will all qualify for Nationals.

Sorry that I originally had a typo in Gillette's last name. :bang:
I should have spelled it with two Ts.

Also: I don't know whether you (and/or @Sylvia) would want to keep track of non-NQS updates?
It occurs to me that Onyx Challenge (not NQS for pairs) had separate Senior SP and Senior FS (not a combined event).
Fitzpatrick/Bearinger's scores: 44.04 SP and 70.93 FS
If(?) you want to count their sum: 114.97

Karen-W

Sorry that I originally had a typo in Gillette's last name. :bang:
I should have spelled it with two Ts.

Also: I don't know whether you (and/or @Sylvia) would want to keep track of non-NQS updates?
It occurs to me that Onyx Challenge (not NQS for pairs) had separate Senior SP and Senior FS (not a combined event).
Fitzpatrick/Bearinger's scores: 44.04 SP and 70.93 FS
If(?) you want to count their sum: 114.97
Fixed the typo!

Well, I didn't update the senior pairs scores since, like you said, Onyx Challenge isn't a NQS event for pairs. I presume that Fitzpatrick/Bearinger will be at one of the last Pairs NQS events and, hopefully, able to replicate or improve their score from Onyx. :)

Karen-W

I still groan whenever I hear Nessun Dorma because I'm STILL tired of their LP after 24 years.
Bite your tongue! That was one of my favorite pairs programs of that era! Okay, maybe not the second season they skated to it, but definitely the first, lol.

Amy L

Bite your tongue! That was one of my favorite pairs programs of that era! Okay, maybe not the second season they skated to it, but definitely the first, lol.
Didn't they use it more than two seasons? And Todd even used some of it with Natasha Kuchiki, lol

Karen-W

Didn't they use it more than two seasons? And Todd even used some of it with Natasha Kuchiki, lol
Well, I didn't realize he (or, let's be real, Coach Nicks, lol) used it with Kuchiki. Maybe they did use it for three seasons. Now, I'm off to YouTube to find out since Wikipedia doesn't list their program history.

95 Worlds - Nessun Dorma
96 Worlds - Nessun Dorma
97 Worlds - Rachmaninoff's Concerto No. 2
98 Worlds - Nessun Dorma

Yeesh. I want to say they went back to Nessun Dorma in the middle of the 97-98 season, but that was 25 years ago and I am not that motivated to look up their GP performances from that season, lol.

Trillian

Yeesh. I want to say they went back to Nessun Dorma in the middle of the 97-98 season, but that was 25 years ago and I am not that motivated to look up their GP performances from that season, lol.

Yeah, I’m not looking it up either, but that feels true? In retrospect, I think it was extra frustrating because they were a team that relied heavily on the second mark and seemed like they should be able to click with another piece of music. But who knows - IIRC they were dealing with injuries for at least the last year or two they competed, so I’m sure a familiar program with a good track record was one less thing to worry about in the Olympic year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information