U.S. Men 2022-23 news & updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jammers

Jason sure would be welcomed back let's face it with no Nathan, Jason or Vincent this season the US Men are looking weak at the top thank goodness someone like Ilia has come along to take over or it be a rough time for US Men right now. Between the Men and Pairs and even the US Ladies Olympic team all probably being done the US has absolutely gotten destroyed by all the retirements and breakups more so then normal for a post Olympic year.

Karen-W

Checking Senior Bs for TES mins...
Jason sure would be welcomed back let's face it with no Nathan, Jason or Vincent this season the US Men are looking weak at the top thank goodness someone like Ilia has come along to take over or it be a rough time for US Men right now. Between the Men and Pairs and even the US Ladies Olympic team all probably being done the US has absolutely gotten destroyed by all the retirements and breakups more so then normal for a post Olympic year.
Because, you know, Camden didn't just finish 5th at Worlds in March and move to train with Raf in the late spring... And you know, Isabeau and Lindsay didn't both just score 200+ in their season debuts at Philadelphia last weekend...

Trillian

Because, you know, Camden didn't just finish 5th at Worlds in March and move to train with Raf in the late spring...

Right. We were spoiled by four years of Nathan, Vincent, and Jason, but there’s still some depth beyond Ilia. I’m interested to see what Camden does (still not convinced Columbia and elite figure skating are compatible, but we’ll see), and I’ve been really impressed by Jimmy Ma’s improvement over the last two years. There are some talented juniors. Jason might decide to go another year or two. And if all else fails and we don’t have any other medal contenders for 2026, I’d be shocked if Vincent doesn’t take another shot. Maybe even Nathan. The U.S. men will be okay.

And you know, Isabeau and Lindsay didn't both just score 200+ in their season debuts at Philadelphia last weekend...

Agree, we’re no worse off in the women’s field than we were four years ago (probably better, honestly). Dance is fine. Yeah, pairs is dire, but also “Yeah, pairs is dire” is the official slogan of the entire 2022-23 ISU international season, so it’s not a U.S.-specific problem. U.S. skating is fine. Every discipline has been in worse shape than it is now.

Dobre

Yeah, pairs is dire
Pairs is dire with the reigning world champions being Americans & continuing to compete?

:COP:How long did we wait for this situation? 42 years?

(Granted it will be a miracle & a half if they can land both triple jumps in a free skate again, but then it was a miracle the first time & it'll also be a miracle if Peng & Jin can land both triple jumps in a free skate).

----

I think it's going to be a big rebuilding year for the U.S. men & I'm OK with that. The men's field is plenty volatile, and even without the very volatile Russian guys, there are still going to be plenty of volatile men in the mix. Japan's top two look very good heading in. Cha should really be very competitive. Ilia has the jumps if not the experience. (This is how you get it). And then 🤷‍♀️ . . . who the heck knows.

Last edited:

RoseRed

Pairs is dire with the reigning world champions being Americans & continuing to compete?

:COP:How long did we wait for this situation? 42 years?

(Granted it will be a miracle & a half if they can land both triple jumps in a free skate ever again, but then it was a miracle the first time & it'll also be a miracle if Yu & Jin can land both triple jumps in a free skate).

----

I think it's going to be a big rebuilding year for the U.S. men & I'm OK with that. The men's field is plenty volatile, and even without the very volatile Russian guys, there are still going to be plenty of volatile men in the mix. Japan's top two look very good heading in. Cha should really be very competitive. Ilia has the jumps if not the experience. (This is how you get it). And then 🤷‍♀️ . . . who the heck knows.
Well that would be a miracle, but I think you mean Peng & Jin ;)

skateboy

I think Ilia is going to kill it this year. But that's just me...

Jammers

Because, you know, Camden didn't just finish 5th at Worlds in March and move to train with Raf in the late spring... And you know, Isabeau and Lindsay didn't both just score 200+ in their season debuts at Philadelphia last weekend...
Camden had one good competition in nearly 3 years and now he's suddenly reliable? I need to see him do it more then once to believe he has it together now the talent has always been there.

Sylvia

TBD
Congrats to Beck Strommer for winning the Junior Men's gold at Cranberry Cup International on Friday :) -- his happy post with photos (including one with his coach, Viktor Pfeifer, and another with silver medalist Jacob Sanchez) & clips (first one is the Rippon3Lz+Ripp3T that opened his FS): https://www.instagram.com/p/ChLxUNDrrEA/
He scored 187.55 total, 127.53 in his 7-triple FS. Hopefully this means he will get his first JGP opportunity this fall.

Last edited:

Trillian

When you consider that they likely won’t go more than another two years, and most of our bench strength has disappeared since nationals, yeah. I’ll stand by it. But there is some potential out there, and like I said, U.S. pairs doesn’t look that bad in the gestures-broadly-at-everything sense.

I think Ilia is going to kill it this year. But that's just me...

I think a lot of us agree. I’m always going to worry about injury with him. But I don’t see any reason not to consider him a legit world medal contender this season. It’s just the rest of the U.S. mens field that’s more up in the air than it has been in a while.

mtnskater

Congrats to Beck Strommer for winning the Junior Men's gold at Cranberry Cup International on Friday :) -- his happy post with photos (including one with his coach, Viktor Pfeifer, and another with silver medalist Jacob Sanchez) & clips (first one is the Rippon3Lz+Ripp3T that opened his FS): https://www.instagram.com/p/ChLxUNDrrEA/
He scored 187.55 total, 127.53 in his 7-triple FS. Hopefully this means he will get his first JGP opportunity this fall.
I’ve been loving Jacob Sanchez for several years now, and especially his Footloose short program from last year. I’m looking forward to watching Beck Strommer. I’m not familiar with him yet.

DreamSkates

How about instead of destroyed, is a process of rebuilding? I know what you mean about so many at the top who are not going to be competing this season or anymore, but I'm trying to look at the bright side. Years to go before the next Olympics. Let's see who will step up to the plate.

DreamSkates

Camden had one good competition in nearly 3 years and now he's suddenly reliable? I need to see him do it more then once to believe he has it together now the talent has always been there.
He's had more than one very good program internationally but overall, consistency and confidence wasn't there. I hope he has that this year. I really enjoy watching him skate when he has a good night.

Karen-W

After Glacial Falls and Cranberry, I think Hiwatashi has done more than enough to earn the open SA spot.
It's still early August and lots of men haven't even debuted yet. Tomoki was hardly tearing it up this weekend at Cranberry. I'd like to see what Naumov, Paniot, and some of the other men who were out all last season do before handing Tomoki that SkAm TBD spot.

her grace

Team Guignard/Fabbri
It's still early August and lots of men haven't even debuted yet. Tomoki was hardly tearing it up this weekend at Cranberry. I'd like to see what Naumov, Paniot, and some of the other men who were out all last season do before handing Tomoki that SkAm TBD spot.
But why haven’t they debuted? If they’re too injured to compete, they probably won’t be ready in time. Decisions are usually made at Champs Camp, which is often in late August. Does anyone know this year’s dates for Camp?

Karen-W

But why haven’t they debuted? If they’re too injured to compete, they probably won’t be ready in time. Decisions are usually made at Champs Camp, which is often in late August. Does anyone know this year’s dates for Camp?
There are lots of skaters who haven't made their season competitive debuts yet. This isn't an Olympic season, so I think the pacing for a lot of skaters is different - especially compared to last season where not only was it an Olympic season, but the previous season had very few competitions for most countries (Russia notwithstanding). Skaters were ready to get out and compete in August last year, many are not this year.

I don't know that any other US man is going to set himself apart enough to warrant the SkAm open spot, so it might wind up being Tomoki's, but I do think there are a couple of guys who haven't debuted yet that should be contenders and there's no reason to give the SkAm spot out right now. Same is true for the TBD spots in the other disciplines.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
… Decisions are usually made at Champs Camp, which is often in late August. Does anyone know this year’s dates for Camp?
Yeah - good Qs. What’s going on with Champs Camp? 🏕 …and will there be a “secret camera” feed this year, like last?

Evgeniafan

Good news 🙏:
Andrew Torgashev is listed in starting order for this week's Southern California Open Championships (NQS competition for singles and pairs).

The other Senior Men in the combined event: Dinh Tran, Max Lake, Goku Endo, Alain Sandraz.
Will there be a stream?

Sylvia

TBD
I haven't seen any indication of one.
I forgot to post an update here - turns out there IS a free livestream of the SoCal Open - relevant links are in my tweet: https://twitter.com/SylviaUnseen/status/1560793734861754368
Senior Men's FS is scheduled to start at 10 pm Eastern time tonight.

Re-posting part of my reply here from the U.S. Club & NQS Competitions thread in Kiss & Cry:
It was so great to see Andrew Torgashev competing again. His skating skills are still to die for. :swoon:
YES, I enjoyed watching his "Oblivion" tango program last night, especially his footwork sequence (a friend who was there in person texted me "so much ice crunching from deep edges, such a satisfying sound" :)). Michal Brezina and Misha Ge were with Torgashev last night. Ge also choreographed Andrew's "Carmina Burana Remake (Enigma)" FS, as well as both of Dinh Tran's programs, including his FS to The Matrix OST. Viacheslav Zagorodniuk is coaching Tran now.[/URL]

Last edited:

VGThuy

Is Vincent giving a more permanent goodbye to elite-level competitive skating or is this more of a “see you later” as he focuses on school for now?

haribobo

Why is summer so hot omg
SENIOR MEN
Yet to compete- Ilia Malinin, Maxim Naumov, Yaroslav Paniot, Jimmy Ma, Camden Pulkinen

Tomoki Hiwatashi 215.96
Ryan Dunk 212.23
Liam Kapeikis 209.56
Eric Sjoberg 200.40
Dinh Tran 198.65
Nathan Chapple 194.07
Maxim Zharkov 192.48
Andrew Torgashev 192.01
Goku Endo 188.67
Joseph Klein 188.62
Samuel Mindra 186.33
Max Lake 183.94
Mitchell Friess 183.32
Matthew Nielsen 178.22
Kai Kovar 171.71

JUNIOR MEN
Daniil Murzin 205.09 (assuming he is awaiting release from Russian Fed or something)
Robert Yampolsky 201.76
Michael Xie 199.44
Beck Strommer 193.75
Jacob Sanchez 172.93
Maxim Zharkov 170.99
Taira Shinohara 166.29
Lucius Kazanecki 165.88
Jonathan Hildebrandt 164.95
Antonio Monaco 162.41
Kirk Haugeto 162.30
Will Annis 160.48
Zachary Yaninek 159.30
Anthony Mugg 157.47
Kai Kovar 150.90

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
Top 12 Senior men in USFS' National Qualifying Series (NQS) standings for Sectionals qualification (re-posting here from the thread in Kiss & Cry):
Tomoki Hiwatashi 215.96 (Glacier Falls)
Eric Sjoberg 197.59 (Glacier Falls)
Nathan Chapple 194.07 (Glacier Falls)
Kai Kovar 192.82 (Copper Cup)
Andrew Torgashev 192.01 (SoCal Open)
Dinh Tran 188.76 (SoCal Open)
Goku Endo 188.67 (SoCal Open)
Samuel Mindra 186.33 (Glacier Falls)
Joseph Klein 186.31 (Cup of CO)
Max Lake 183.94 (SoCal Open)
Mitchell Friess 183.32 (Glacier Falls)
Matthew Nielsen 178.22 (Glacier Falls)

ETA - adding in the competitions for the non-NQS comp. scores listed by haribobo above:

Ryan Dunk 212.23 (U.S. Collegiate Championships, 1st)
Liam Kapeikis 209.56 (Phiadelphia Summer International, 1st)
Eric Sjoberg 200.40 (Cranberrry Cup International, 3rd)
Dinh Tran 198.65 (Phiadelphia Summer International, 2nd)
Maxim Zharkov 192.48 (Cranberrry Cup International, 4th)
Joseph Klein 188.62 (Cranberrry Cup International, 5th)

Last edited:

haribobo

Why is summer so hot omg
Has USFS indicated how qualifying is working this year for Nationals on the senior level? I have completely lost the plot and trying to find info is very challenging. Thank you for keeping track of that list though!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information