Russian women news & updates, 2021-22 season

Status
Not open for further replies.

giselle23

Exactly. She did three competitions this last season and her scores were between 159 and 167, so she probably wasn’t landing much. That’s bad for a Russian lady to have season best 167. No matter how many competitions she would do, with scores as low as this, she would be buried.
But was it because of her weight? Is losing weight the magic formula for becoming a champion? Apparently not, but it hasn't worked for so many. I also at first thought you said bullied instead of buried. I think bullied would be more appropriate.

hanca

Values her privacy
But was it because of her weight? Is losing weight the magic formula for becoming a champion? Apparently not, but it hasn't worked for so many. I also at first thought you said bullied instead of buried. I think bullied would be more appropriate.
That’s not up to me or you to decide. I think those who see her every day would be better judges of that than you and me, when we don’t really see her regularly. On photos she looks ok, but then again one wouldn’t put there not corrected photoes of when they are at their heaviest. When I was her age, I could easily go up and down with my weight (well, more like easily up and hard way down). Within two weeks I have managed to put on a stone, within another month to lose the stone… Was it healthy? No. But I can imagine if I was a skater at that time, it could be a problem. Do we know whether her weight interfered with her jumping? The truth is, we don’t. One doesn’t necessarily be ‘too heavy’, but if a skater doesn’t keep their weight stable, going up and down with weight does affect the jumps.

rfisher

Let the skating begin
Nugu has always been inconsistent and has had previous coaching issues. Mishin kicked her out of his program long before she was accepted into Rukavitsin's program. I like her skating, but her jump technique and being in competitive shape (not just weight, but overall fitness) has been a long standing issue for her. I suspect she's now coachless. Again.

bladesofgorey

I’ve seen enough interviews on TSL with Canadian and American coaches and they like to talk about weight all the time. Doug Haw was the one who said that Liza needed to lose 10 pounds and Frank Carroll and Eve Scotvold also talked about female skater bodies. The first thing skaters talk about is their weight and bodies so it’s not limited to Russia.

I say it all the time, the one's who get out are the smart ones. This is not something you do for life but a small fraction of it.
Eating disorders usually stick with the person who develops them for life in one form or another. So good luck with that.

giselle23

But yet still they prop them up and insist that they do the jumps over and over. It's just a lose-lose situation.
Many sports can cause injuries, but figure skating is the only one I can think of right now that seems almost inherently to lead to injuries because of the stress from jumping, on the landing leg and the hip in particular. Of course there are some skaters like Nathan Chen and Hanyu who seem to be "bionic" and can skate into their twenties while doing the most difficult jumps. But so many others end up with hip/back/foot injuries and need surgery.

soogar

Many sports can cause injuries, but figure skating is the only one I can think of right now that seems almost inherently to lead to injuries because of the stress from jumping, on the landing leg and the hip in particular. Of course there are some skaters like Nathan Chen and Hanyu who seem to be "bionic" and can skate into their twenties while doing the most difficult jumps. But so many others end up with hip/back/foot injuries and need surgery.
Nathan is not bionic. He doesn't jump as easily now as he had done a few years ago. Hanyu is completely wrecked physically.

screech

But yet still they prop them up and insist that they do the jumps over and over. It's just a lose-lose situation.
I will preface by saying I was never anywhere near elite level, and though I was near the 'top' at my club, there was never any realistic expectation that I'd reach the elite level.

When I was a teen, I sprained my lower back from skating. But of course I kept skating and didn't take any time off - I had a competition coming up in a month! When I would fall it would be incredibly painful and I struggled with getting back up. I'd have to roll over onto my stomach and push myself up from that position (it would easily take me 30 seconds to a minute of maneuvering to be able to get back onto my feet, after each fall). When I'd finally get back up my coach would have me try the jump again. As a result, out of panic, I would tend to pop my jumps in practice (leading to a lot of friction between me and my coach). But I just kept going, because I had a competition coming up.

It's now more than 20 years later and my lower back still seizes up on me on occasion. There's times that my old injury causes me to walk around in a way that can best be described as a pregnant 90 year old (hands on lower back for support, both arched back and simultaneously hunched over, shuffling/waddling along).

If these are the injuries that come from a non-elite athlete with a non-elite coach who definitely wasn't the worst of the bunch (see my post above about weight), I can only imagine the lifelong health struggles that these athletes are going to be experiencing, all in the pursuit of success, whether due to their own desire to push themselves, or their coach's determination.

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
As awful as skater injuries are, none are cognitive except for the skaters with repeated concussions. The rate of CTE among football players is very high, and it’s a sentence to dementia and damaged personality with early death.

Skating does a body bad over an elite career but it’s not the worst sport for injury.

barbk

As awful as skater injuries are, none are cognitive except for the skaters with repeated concussions. The rate of CTE among football players is very high, and it’s a sentence to dementia and damaged personality with early death.

Skating does a body bad over an elite career but it’s not the worst sport for injury.
I suspect we're going to have a lot of women with CTE given the number of concussions I see my high school soccer players getting. Lots of ACL tears, too. Overall, my kids at the smaller high schools where kids often play more than one sport (because you don't need to be playing year-round at the high competitive club level to play on a varsity team) seem to be injured less often.

skatfan

Gymnastics also has lots of knee and hip injuries.

Sylvia

TBD
The 2022 Olympic medalist in women's figure skating Alexandra Trusova will perform at the long jump tournament in Moscow on June 9, RIA Novosti was told in the All-Russian Federation of Athletics (VFLA).
The figure skater will take part in the Athletics Week. The competition will be held from 7 to 13 June at Luzhniki.

Sylvia

TBD
Interview with Serafima Sakhanovich, now 22, by Boris Khodorovsky (June 5):
She last competed nationally & internationally in 2019-20: http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00014288.htm

Machine translated excerpts:
- What do you do after the end of your sports career?
SS: A year and a half ago, she moved from St. Petersburg to Moscow completely and irrevocably. I work as a coach in the group of Anna Tsareva in "Sambo-70".
- What, then, made you leave the Tutberidze group?
SS: Domestic troubles that had nothing to do with figure skating. In Moscow, our rented apartment was robbed three times. Once it happened when I competed at the Grand Prix stage, and my mother didn’t even tell me so as not to unsettle me. For the last time, they took away the form I had just received. It feels like I'm being followed.
- Is it possible that one of the competitors brought the robbers?
SS: No, what are you! Just some bad rock [luck?]. I had to return to my native St. Petersburg. Parents could not be constantly with me in the capital, we have a big family. They did not want to leave one 15-year-old girl in Moscow.
- With which of your coaches did you have such contact?
SS: Perhaps with Angelina Turenko. We still communicate and discuss some problems.
- What prevented you from reaching a new level under her leadership?
SS: For me, the results shown while working with Turenko were a new level. I fulfilled the standard of the master of sports of international class, for the first time my best result in the season at international competitions was over 200 points. Yes, and the training itself was already a conscious work. There was no continuation, because I realized: I don’t want to remain a skater anymore, I need to try something else. Athletes have a day scheduled to the minute, everything goes according to plan. When you finish your career, you just don’t know what to do and how to live. You have no idea how to use your free time. After all, it simply did not exist before!

Last edited:

reut

A tone deaf statement from Medvedeva. Sometimes it's better to just shut up...

For the last 24 hours, the media and speakers have been actively discussing raising the age limit in figure skating. This was expected from the ISU. But the main news faded against the backdrop of endless discussions of the age limit. Personally, until the last moment, I had a hope that our guys would be allowed to participate in international competitions.

A positive attitude was inspired by the guys from the ATP and WTA, who refused to remove Russian tennis players from the competition, despite the pressure. They also stripped Wimbledon of rating points for their refusal to accept athletes from Russia and Belarus.

I sincerely believed that such an adequate approach was also possible from the side of the International Skating Union. But the miracle didn’t happen. We should fight for the right to let our athletes compete under the auspices of the ISU. Instead of throwing tantrums about the fact that someone there might change citizenship, etc.

...Our skaters are used to standing on pedestals, and not in queues at migration centers.

Original source in ru
translation to English

reut

I don’t think it’s indicative of where she stands on the war given some of her other comments but certainly does with respect to the bans
Well, this definitely shows where her priorities are. To her "our skaters are used to standing on pedestals, and not in queues at migration centers" my immediate reaction was: "Well, Ukrainian skaters, and people in general, are also used to something else than being tortured, killed and bombed"

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
It isn't as if there aren't plenty of countries to which their skaters could emigrate where they likely won't suffer the indignity of standing in lines in migration centers. And they'll probably be able to continue living in a bubble of fellow Russian emigres so they don't have to even bother with learning the local language. It's just such a damn shame they won't be allowed to climb to the top of the medal stands representing Russia. Not that I expect that will stop the Russian media or skating insiders from celebrating them as their own regardless of the flag raised and anthem played.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information