Provisional allotments for ISU Championships 2022, 2023 & 2024; future bids discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

cheremary

The rental of Accor Arena in Bercy (since it has been remodeled) is such a big blow to ISU and FFSG finances that it has become infeasible. There is no other arena suitable for a GP within Paris intra muros limits. The only one that would be perfect for a GP is Aren'Ice of Cergy-Pontoise north of tje capitale. But it's a real hassle to get there from downtown Paris and worse from main airports. It's so complicated by public transportation that last year for Nationals, it was easier for me to drive up there (a 7 hours trip) than to take a train, the subway and a bus.
Is it not possible to take the RER A from Paris to Cergy St. Christophe? The arena looks like a 21 minute walk from that station. I used to work in Cergy and commuted from the west side of Paris (Étoile) by RER A to Cergy Prefecture several times a week. It was around 35-40 min by RER and I generally didn’t have any issues, but don’t know if things have changed since then.

It is far from the airports, but you can take one of the other RER lines from CDG or Orly to Châtelet and transfer to the A? That is quite a long trip though.

At any rate, I’m sad IdF isn’t in the Paris area anymore so I have an excuse to visit more often. :) Bercy was always so convenient, not to mention it was very easy to see skaters at the hotel nearby.

Last edited:

Jammers

I'm very excited as well. The only issue I see is the ISU granting 2024 to Montreal that missed its opportunity due to prior cancellation, and loathe to place Worlds in North America two years in a row. 😞
Besides we just came off the 3rd straight Olympics in a Asian country so NA deserves something i would think.

airgelaal

Interesting that Minsk assumes they would be able to host anything in the foreseeable future.
It's more interesting, that russia is not interested in figure skating. Only in speed skating and short track.
And this is not the first time. Russia is not very eager to host serious figure skating competitions. And this is a country that tells everyone that without them, figure skating will die.

Karen-W

Checking Senior Bs for TES mins...
It's more interesting, that russia is not interested in figure skating. Only in speed skating and short track.
And this is not the first time. Russia is not very eager to host serious figure skating competitions. And this is a country that tells everyone that without them, figure skating will die.
Two separate feds also. Canada and the US are the same - several bids on the short track side for Calgary and SLC to host events in future seasons, just the one from the USFS to host 2025 Worlds and nothing from Skate Canada - not for 4CCs or Synchro Jr Worlds (I'll give them a pass on Synchro Worlds since they did host it this year and they're hosting Jr Worlds next year).

The Hungarian fed (which oversees all ice skating in Hungary) is bidding for anything and everything (okay, that's an exaggeration, but...) -
2024/25 - Jr Worlds (Debrecen), Worlds (Budapest), Synchro Worlds (Budapest), Euros Speed (Budapest), Jr Worlds Speed (Budapest), Worlds Short Track (Debrecen)
2025/26 - Worlds (Budapest), Jr Worlds Speed (Budapest), Worlds Speed (Budapest), Worlds Short Track (Debrecen)
2026/27 - Worlds (Budapest), Jr Worlds Short Track (Debrecen)

Now, we could judge the Dutch and Norwegian feds, since they oversee all four sports and they have 8 & 6 bids respectively for ISU championships - all either Speed or Short Track...

They make Taiwan's fed (also oversees all 4 skating sports) look good...
2023/24 4CCs, Jr Worlds
2024/25 Jr Worlds, Jr Worlds Short Track
2025/26 Jr Worlds, 4CCs Short Track
2026/27 Jr Worlds, Jr Worlds Short Track

The Russian speed skating fed is bidding for 4 events total - 2024/25 Jr Worlds Speed, 2024/25 Jr Worlds Short Track, 2025/26 Euros Speed and 2025/26 Jr Worlds Speed; by contrast and Poland's speed skating fed is bidding for 7.

Now, the JSF and KSF oversee all four skating sports and between them, there's one bid from the JSF for the 2024/25 4CCs Speed, so I'm wondering if perhaps they're still concerned about future C19 surges and potential shut downs, or just have less money in general, right now.

I say give Hungary and Taiwan at least one event every season, if they're willing to bid for them!

cholla

Grand Duchess of Savoie - Marquessa of Chartreuse
Is it not possible to take the RER A from Paris to Cergy St. Christophe? The arena looks like a 21 minute walk from that station. I used to work in Cergy and commuted from the west side of Paris (Étoile) by RER A to Cergy Prefecture several times a week. It was around 35-40 min by RER and I generally didn’t have any issues, but don’t know if things have changed since then.

It is far from the airports, but you can take one of the other RER lines from CDG or Orly to Châtelet and transfer to the A? That is quite a long trip though

No of course you can still do all that. It's a 1h ride from Paris. But you don't put skaters and officials in the RER, and considering the crazy traffic around Paris you don't drive them around in coaches for hours on end. There are only a few hotels in Cergy, only one is nearby the rink, it's small and not up to the standard ISU officials are used to 😎 I'm not even sure there are enough hotels in Cergy to accommodate the whole circus a GP is. I once stayed at the Mercure which is supposed to be of reasonable standard and it was by far the worse place ever. I stayed at Ibis Budget for Nationals last year and it was half the price for a twice better room. But these hotels are small. It's a shame because Aren'Ice is huge, brand new and magnificent (but has no press room 😄) Above all I think that anything in IDF is much too expensive for FFSG. National federations support a big bulk of the total cost.

Finnice

Tampere, Finland candidates for Worlds 2027. The new rink is at the city center on the railway station, near the hotels and restaurants. It is a lovely city in many ways, and the people in Tampere are so friendly.

allezfred

In A Fake Snowball Fight
Tampere, Finland candidates for Worlds 2027. The new rink is at the city center on the railway station, near the hotels and restaurants. It is a lovely city in many ways, and the people in Tampere are so friendly.
Plus Moomin Museum!

Hanna

Skating junkie
All-event tickets for Helsinki Euros just went on sale. https://www.ticketmaster.fi/event/i...hips-2023-espoo-lippuja/309435?language=en-us

A big difference in price between the upper and lower bowl. :yikes: With these prices I'd probably just go for the first rows in the upper bowl, which are surprisingly affordable vs. the lower bowl. Not that I'm buying anything for another 6 months :lol: - want to see the prices for the single tickets first.

Miezekatze

A big difference in price between the upper and lower bowl. :yikes: With these prices I'd probably just go for the first rows in the upper bowl, which are surprisingly affordable vs. the lower bowl.

Unfortunately Ticketmaster is already "dynamically" changing prices again. When I first clicked on your link first row in the upper bowl was 194, now it's up to 314. Probably because due to your links, a lot of people clicked on the same seats.

Hanna

Skating junkie
Unfortunately Ticketmaster is already "dynamically" changing prices again. When I first clicked on your link first row in the upper bowl was 194, now it's up to 314. Probably because due to your links, a lot of people clicked on the same seats.
Really? I've never heard of such a thing, at least not with figure skating competitions. :confused: Anyway, for me the first rows in the upper bowl were 314 all along (without gala). The price changes to 194 after a few rows. Same with the lower bowl, the first 5 rows were 824 and then the rest 674. This was a couple of hours ago, haven't checked since.

Miezekatze

Hmm, maybe I misremembered, but I had the impression I got better seats for 197 the first time I looked today :confused:

I know that behavior from their concert tickets, so it at least wouldn't have surprised me.

marbri

Hey, Kool-Aid!
Really? I've never heard of such a thing, at least not with figure skating competitions. :confused: Anyway, for me the first rows in the upper bowl were 314 all along (without gala). The price changes to 194 after a few rows. Same with the lower bowl, the first 5 rows were 824 and then the rest 674. This was a couple of hours ago, haven't checked since.
Just checked and to me it looks like the first 7 rows are 314 and the ones behind 194.

ross_hy

Speaking of 2023 events, has anyone seen ticketing information for Worlds in Saitama? I would love to attend a competition in Japan, but I’m not sure how likely it would be for international spectators to get tickets.

MarieM

Grumpy Cynical Ice Dance Lover

It is far from the airports, but you can take one of the other RER lines from CDG or Orly to Châtelet and transfer to the A? That is quite a long trip though.

At any rate, I’m sad IdF isn’t in the Paris area anymore so I have an excuse to visit more often. :) Bercy was always so convenient, not to mention it was very easy to see skaters at the hotel nearby.
It's a 25 minutes walk from the RER station to the rink. So okay in the daylight, but otherwise it stinks.
Plus that RER A branch is not open after 21h because there is work being done at night.

ice coverage

Boston is the U.S. bid city for 2025 Worlds!!! I was not expecting this—but I’m excited!!

Other bidders are Malmo, Prague, Budapest, Beijing

Following up on its bids announcement in April .... today the ISU published bid summaries for the same events -- with information on Rink Facilities; Sustainability Plan; and Distances among main arena, practice arena, hotels, airport, main station.
But unlike previous editions of bid summaries, names of hotels are not included. Just "Hotel 1," "Hotel 2," etc.
Sustainability Plan is a new section of the bid summaries.
Hyperlinks to bid summaries are below.

2025 Worlds: Beijing; Prague; Budapest; Malmö (Sweden); Boston
2026 Worlds: Innsbruck; Prague; Budapest
2027 Worlds: Prague; Tampere (Finland); Budapest

2024 Junior Worlds: Minsk; Taipei
2025 Junior Worlds: Debrecen (Hungary); Taipei
2026 Junior Worlds: Taipei
2027 Junior Worlds: Taipei

2024 Four Continents: Shanghai; Taipei
2025 Four Continents: no applications received
2026 Four Continents: Taipei
2027 Four Continents: no applications received

2025 Euros: Zagreb
2026 Euros: Innsbruck; Sheffield; Lausanne
2027 Euros: no applications received

2025 Synchro Worlds: Tampere; Budapest; Courmayeur (Italy)
2026 Synchro Worlds: Tampere
2027 Synchro Worlds: no applications received

Synchro Junior Worlds: no applications received for 2024, 2025, 2026, 2027

litenkyckling

Following up on its bids announcement in April .... today the ISU published bid summaries for the same events -- with information on Rink Facilities; Sustainability Plan; and Distances among main arena, practice arena, hotels, airport, main station.
But unlike previous editions of bid summaries, names of hotels are not included. Just "Hotel 1," "Hotel 2," etc.
Sustainability Plan is a new section of the bid summaries.
Hyperlinks to bid summaries are below.

2025 Worlds: Beijing; Prague; Budapest; Malmö (Sweden); Boston
2026 Worlds: Innsbruck; Prague; Budapest
2027 Worlds: Prague; Tampere (Finland); Budapest

2024 Junior Worlds: Minsk; Taipei
2025 Junior Worlds: Debrecen (Hungary); Taipei
2026 Junior Worlds: Taipei
2027 Junior Worlds: Taipei

2024 Four Continents: Shanghai; Taipei
2025 Four Continents: no applications received
2026 Four Continents: Taipei
2027 Four Continents: no applications received

2025 Euros: Zagreb
2026 Euros: Innsbruck; Sheffield; Lausanne
2027 Euros: no applications received

2025 Synchro Worlds: Tampere; Budapest; Courmayeur (Italy)
2026 Synchro Worlds: Tampere
2027 Synchro Worlds: no applications received

Synchro Junior Worlds: no applications received for 2024, 2025, 2026, 2027
the biggest capacity and more than 1 restaurant? Please please give 2026 Euros to Sheffield

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
It would be lovely to have another 4C's in Vancouver: there are many good flights from Asia direct to Vancouver. Unfortunately, as wonderful as Victoria is for skating and visiting, it's another leg.

Karen-W

Checking Senior Bs for TES mins...
I could see Malmo getting 2025 Worlds and the USFS being asked to switch their bid for Boston to 2025 4CCs. Might not be exactly what they want, but a pre-Olympics season 4CCs is going to be a pretty stacked event in Men, Dance and Women, and it might even be a decent (if small field) in Pairs.

The U.S. and Canada really need to step up here and start bidding for 4CCs and Junior Worlds.

Isn't Japan also overdue to host 4CCs?

We can't hold every event in Taipei. :rolleyes:
Agreed. Japan hasn't hosted a 4CCs since 2013, Canada hasn't since 2009 - at least the US hosted 4CCs in 2019 (Anaheim). Calgary is hosting Jr Worlds next season, so I'll cut them a bit of slack since neither the US nor Japan have hosted Jr Worlds since the last time Canada hosted that event back in 2005.

litenkyckling

Malmo is a light-rail ride from Copenhagen over the bridge. Pre-cv, Copenhagen was a better choice for flights from North America in general. I'm not sure about intra-European flights.
I would say it’s a very popular hub airport in Europe so definitely a good access airport

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
With a free place to stay in Boston I will always root for them if DC isn’t bidding….

Other than that I’m happy with a non-compromised city/country I haven’t visited yet, which leaves Sweden and Sheffield as my only choices.

ice coverage

The U.S. and Canada really need to step up here and start bidding for 4CCs and Junior Worlds. ...

Will mention that Calgary 🇨🇦 is hosting 2023 Junior Worlds, which I have been daydreaming of attending.
In 2020, USFS made a bid for 2022 Four Continents [ETA: for Colorado Springs or Lake Placid].

But yes 👍, I agree overall. 🙏

ETA:
Oooops, I overlooked/forgot that in Sep 2020, USFS originally also bid for 2023 Four Continents for Colorado Springs or Las Vegas. USFS was the only bidder.
But then in Oct 2020, ISU understandably announced the cancellation of 2021 Four Continents in Australia, and understandably gave 2023 Four Continents to Australia.​

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
Will mention that Calgary 🇨🇦 is hosting 2023 Junior Worlds, which I have been daydreaming of attending.
Me too! ;)
ETA - NOT an ISU Championship but Lake Placid/ORDA is hosting the FISU World University Games, January 12-22, 2023:
Competitions will include the Men’s and Women’s singles events, and Ice Dancing to be held at the [refurbished] Olympic Center.
(2023 U.S. Nationals in San Jose, CA will take place January 23-29.)

Last edited:

BittyBug

Disgusted
I could see Malmo getting 2025 Worlds and the USFS being asked to switch their bid for Boston to 2025 4CCs. Might not be exactly what they want, but a pre-Olympics season 4CCs is going to be a pretty stacked event in Men, Dance and Women, and it might even be a decent (if small field) in Pairs.
I doubt it. The ISU rotates Worlds geographically, and it will have been 9 years since Worlds was last held in the U.S., so the U.S. is due the event.

Pokitren

No of course you can still do all that. It's a 1h ride from Paris. But you don't put skaters and officials in the RER, and considering the crazy traffic around Paris you don't drive them around in coaches for hours on end. There are only a few hotels in Cergy, only one is nearby the rink, it's small and not up to the standard ISU officials are used to 😎 I'm not even sure there are enough hotels in Cergy to accommodate the whole circus a GP is. I once stayed at the Mercure which is supposed to be of reasonable standard and it was by far the worse place ever. I stayed at Ibis Budget for Nationals last year and it was half the price for a twice better room. But these hotels are small. It's a shame because Aren'Ice is huge, brand new and magnificent (but has no press room 😄) Above all I think that anything in IDF is much too expensive for FFSG. National federations support a big bulk of the total cost.
It's expensive because it's in demand. And small hotels are often better and cheaper, but they are small. I liked Ibis Budget too, I stayed there twice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information