U.S. Pairs 2021-22 season - News & Updates, Part X

love skating

Clueless American
I'm so over the moon happy for Alexa and Brandon! Perfect skates for them under the most intense pressure, esp. after the scary withdrawal of Ashley & Tim. Gosh that was hard to watch... hoping Ashley will be fine. Hope this world title might inspire more American skaters into pairs... would love to see a lasting legacy for U.S. pairs to come out of this.

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
I just faxed @AngieNikodinovLove the bad news.

Grrr.

I’m here, I’m here. I’ve been away for a few weeks from the boards. Just taking a break from it

So excited they did it but it was so hard to watch after Ashley.

And I was an awe how much Minerva looked like AngelaNikodinov today with her hair in a bun and bangs!!!!

skatfan

And now the tile for the Pairs SP has disappeared entirely - no "coming soon" - as though it never happened, while the womens and mens short is available on replay. So it's definitely K&F's music and I hate them for that. Why Peacock could just put their program on mute I don't know. Too much work for them apparently. :rolleyes:
How are you so certain it’s about K&Fs music (which is still up on the ISU’s YouTube channel)? It could be Either that or the very problematic commentating.

BittyBug

Disgusted
How are you so certain it’s about K&Fs music (which is still up on the ISU’s YouTube channel)? It could be Either that or the very problematic commentating.
For two reasons:

(1) The ISU video is still up and they've fired the commentators, so if it was a concern about the comments, they would have pulled that video as well.

(2) The complaint about the commentary was to the ISU, not to Peacock, so in all likelihood Peacock doesn't even know about Simon and Nicky, nor would they necessarily care.

(3) The comments were made after the event - they could have just clipped the tape.

It's not a coincidence that every single skating video on Peacock was pulled immediately after the lawsuit, and of the new videos posted since they were all pulled, the only one that has been pulled again is the pairs SP with K&F.

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
For two reasons:

(1) The ISU video is still up and they've fired the commentators, so if it was a concern about the comments, they would have pulled that video as well.

(2) The complaint about the commentary was to the ISU, not to Peacock, so in all likelihood Peacock doesn't even know about Simon and Nicky, nor would they necessarily care.

(3) The comments were made after the event - they could have just clipped the tape.

It's not a coincidence that every single skating video on Peacock was pulled immediately after the lawsuit, and of the new videos posted since they were all pulled, the only one that has been pulled again is the pairs SP with K&F.
I realize this isn't a question we know the answer to but I'm wondering if the fact that K&F are still using the music means they feel they have done the proper legal thing with regard to using it?

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
Also, the ISU isn't one of the parties in the lawsuit, is it? And I think music rights are handled differently in Europe than they are in the US. The replay of the Beijing Pairs SP is available on the Olympics' YT channel too, so I really think that this has more to do with NBC being a party in the active lawsuit than anything else.

Trillian

What was the problem with the commentating?

What wasn’t wrong with the commentary yesterday, honestly.

“We’re very upset about the Russians not being here, we should make sure to bring that up repeatedly.”

“I was an Olympic ice dancer but I can’t remember if that’s called a rocker or a bracket.”

“Did any of the women in this warmup group that is still actively happening right in front of our faces make an impression on you?” “Yeah but I can’t remember which one.”

“What even is a jump rotation anyway.”
“Look, it’s a blonde lady. That reminds me of another time I saw a different blonde lady. I love blonde ladies.”

“Let’s wrap this up by referring to a female pairs skater as ‘heavy’ and misgendering someone repeatedly.”

But they probably would’ve gotten a pass on all of that… if they’d remembered to make sure the camera mic was off before they called Meagan Duhamel “the b*tch from Canada.”

skatfan

I think you’re right - the USA network broadcast showed clips of their SP but replaced the music.

Still think they should have shown all the skaters and just cut the audio of K/Fs program.

Last edited:

Spikefan

Rooting for that middle-aged team
They could have just gone commentary free as they have done all season. I don’t think this has to do with commentary.

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
I think you’re right - the USA network broadcast showed clips of their SP but replaced the music.

Still think they should have shown all the skaters and just cut the audio of K/Fs program.
What music did they replace it with?

Tesla

Whippet Good
I realize this isn't a question we know the answer to but I'm wondering if the fact that K&F are still using the music means they feel they have done the proper legal thing with regard to using it?
I'm guessing they used it because they’ve used it all season and are comfortable with it. It can’t be that easy to switch programs, even to an old one, right before Worlds, especially with a medal in sight.

I just watched the pairs free and K/F were extraordinary. And the podium gave me all the feels. A lot of people kept putting them down but except for one competition, they've been amazing all season. They earned this good medal.

Trillian

They could have just gone commentary free as they have done all season. I don’t think this has to do with commentary.

I might be wrong, but I think Peacock has only had the commentary-free feed when it was provided by the ISU? I was disappointed it wasn’t available this time.

Maybe they’ll post the pairs SP eventually, but are taking extra time to clear it through legal or do a music edit. I don’t see the commentary being the issue. It’s not like TV and streaming services aren’t already full of smug old men saying appalling things and then chuckling about how clever they are.

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
I'm guessing they used it because they’ve used it all season and are comfortable with it. It can’t be that easy to switch programs, even to an old one, right before Worlds, especially with a medal in sight.
I guess they could have tried to pull a Fournier-Beaudry/Sorensen and put their choreography to different music ...

skatfan

I hope Alexa knows she is the best pair skater the USA has ever had And I hope she sees she is doing better pair skating now than she ever has. Her best skates with Brandon are still to come
What a journey she has had! The from the depths of her surgeries to post Pyeyoungchang when she and Chris landed with Jenni and Todd as their coaches - now to winning a world championship with Brandon!

mtnskater

So happy for my favorite pair to win the World Championships!!! What a clutch performance after the injury of their fellow teammate sucked the air out of the building. My heart was in my throat during their performance. What happened to Ashley could have easily derailed them emotionally. So touching to see the tears stream down Alexa’s face during the national anthem. The cameraman sure loved extreme close ups of her beautiful face.

Sending hugs to Ashley and Tim. I’m so sorry the year ended like that for them. I’ll anxiously await word as to how she is doing.

Stefanie

I am so excited for Alexa and Brandon. I really hope they stick around to defend their title and see how much more they can improve.

Also, hoping Ashley is ok and takes the time she needs to recover.
I hope K/F stick around for another season as well. It would be nice to see them improve the spacing between their side-by-side jumps. They seem kind of far away….or it didn’t fit in the frame of my TV…

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information