U.S. Pairs 2021-22 season - News & Updates, Part X

mtnskater

Darn Peacock. I have been waiting forever this morning for them to put up the pairs short program replay so I can watch. Maybe they won’t because of K&F music?

Trillian

Darn Peacock. I have been waiting forever this morning for them to put up the pairs short program replay so I can watch. Maybe they won’t because of K&F music?

I saw a suggestion elsewhere that it might be due to the hot mic situation at the end, but that seems like it would be really easy to snip. Your thought seems more plausible to me.

BittyBug

Disgusted
And now the tile for the Pairs SP has disappeared entirely - no "coming soon" - as though it never happened, while the womens and mens short is available on replay. So it's definitely K&F's music and I hate them for that. Why Peacock could just put their program on mute I don't know. Too much work for them apparently. :rolleyes:

firstflight

Heartbroken and horrified for C-G/L. Very happy that the cameras were taken off of them, though.
Great skate for K/F, especially to go out after that. And congratulations to the world champions.
Jackie Wong pointed out that K/F both stepped out and gave Leduc a hug. So they were clearly aware of the situation and wanted to support their teammates, even as they had to prepare mentally for their own skate.

shuilee

Does this mean USA only has 2 spots for next year's Worlds?

Poor Ashley. I was horrified and so sad! Hope she's okay.

But congrats to K&F. Amazing skate!

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
Does this mean USA only has 2 spots for next year's Worlds?

Poor Ashley. I was horrified and so sad! Hope she's okay.

But congrats to K&F. Amazing skate!
I pulled up the rule out of curiosity. If the skater/team is in the top 10 after the first segment and has to withdraw for a valid ISU-approved reason (injury, illness, equipment failure), then they are not included in the factor. The USA will have 3 spots.

Xela M

ALEXA IS WORLD CHAMPION!!!!!!!!!! :cheer2::cheer::biggrinbo

I am absolutely over the moon for her. She's the epitome of an awesome pairs girl!

How amazing were they to hold their nerve when everyone around them was faltering under pressure?!!! Deserved CHAMPIONS OF THE WORLD 🥇

Last edited:

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
Ashley already started the FS terribly. She literally couldn't land anything. The pressure of being so close to a World podium probably got to her.
She also has been skating on an injured ankle for the last month. I know she said she felt 100% yesterday during the SP press conference, but her loops didn't look like she was 100% this week at all. And, if you saw the look on her face after the third fall, when Tim was holding her, she was very clearly concussed and disoriented. There was more than just the mere pressure of being so close to the World podium going on there, before she took the ice, I think.

Allskate

According to Jackie Wong, Ashley has been taken to the hospital for further evaluation. I wonder if she aggravated her injury. I hope she's okay. I'm so sad for her.

Major kudos to Alexa and Brandon. Jackie says they looked visibly shaken after Ashley's fall. They pulled it together and not only won but won with two wonderful performances.

Trillian

She also has been skating on an injured ankle for the last month. I know she said she felt 100% yesterday during the SP press conference, but her loops didn't look like she was 100% this week at all.

I agree. I thought something was wrong even after the first fall. It didn’t look like just nerves to me.

Ashley and Timothy are my favorite pair, so I’m devastated for them. I hope she recovers soon and recovers well.

That said, very happy for our new world champions. I’ve been impressed with their competitive fight all along, and they did an amazing job delivering under pressure in this event.

skatingguy

decently
World champions!!!!! Maybe this is the kick US Pairs needs to start building up future champions a decade or so from now. Especially if the talk is true that China is giving up on heavily investing in figure skating.
Assuming the Russian ban continues into next season, and it seems that it will, though given everything that's happened in the past 2 months a lot could change before the normal Grand Prix announcement in June, there are going to be a lot of openings on the Grand Prix for American skaters.

VGThuy

I’m much more emotional about this win than I realized and I’ve been criticizing Alexa/Brandon all season for various things. This win really meant a lot for a US skating fan, especially after all the jokes people have made about US pairs and how so many make them out to be horrible skaters who shouldn’t even be competing at Worlds.

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
Can someone give a synopsis for those of us still at work?
Ashley fell 3 times on jumps and throws; the third time she hit her chin and lay motionless. The paramedics had to come take her off the ice. Alexa and Brandon had to go right after, but they kept it together and won with a terrific skate.

Ashley is at the hospital getting checked.

BittyBug

Disgusted
Can someone give a synopsis for those of us still at work?
J&R had their best skate ever and moved into first. The Georgians fell apart, leaving J&R in 1st heading into the final 3. The Japanese made several errors (she flubbed a SBS jump and fell on a throw) but received a generous score that combined with their SP score put then into 1st.

C-G and LeDuc started with a gorgeous twist and then it all went downhill. Ashley biffed the SBS 3R, which got called a double, she fell on the throw, and then she fell on the SBS 3S and she could did not get up from the fall. She seemed very dazed and had her hand on the area of her forehead above her right eye. Medics came out, examined her, put her on a stretcher and removed her from the ice. They then withdrew.

K&F went out and skated lights out, scoring a personal best, and claiming the title.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
Btw, I wondered about this yesterday during the Pairs SP and forgot to ask... does anyone know if Smirnova & Siianytsia's families are okay? I believe most of their families are both still in Dnipro (or were a month ago). Just hoping that all is well with them.

Yuri

Congratulations to Alexa and Brandon, as well as their coaches Todd and Jenni, I am beyond thrilled for them! Especially after being devastated by what happened with Ashley and Timothy immediately before they took the ice. What an emotional roller-coaster! It's like today recreated Tai and Randy's career: the 1979 World Championship in the absence of the USSR's Irina Rodnina due to her having a baby, followed by the very sad withdrawal in 1980 when they were on the verge of at least an Olympic silver medal.

olympic

Congratulations to Alexa and Brandon, as well as their coaches Todd and Jenni, I am beyond thrilled for them! Especially after being devastated by what happened with Ashley and Timothy immediately before they took the ice. What an emotional roller-coaster! It's like today recreated Tai and Randy's career: the 1979 World Championship in the absence of the USSR's Irina Rodnina due to her having a baby, followed by the very sad withdrawal in 1980 when they were on the verge of at least an Olympic silver medal.
Yep. Likely Silver. No way was bloc judging going to put B/G ahead of R/Z in 1980.

------

Congrats to K/F. I wonder what their plans are for the coming years. I thought I read somewhere that they were going to take it season-by-season?

Also a simple question that I did not see any info for anywhere on the board. Why no Chinese skaters at Worlds???

Bob Mc

Btw, I wondered about this yesterday during the Pairs SP and forgot to ask... does anyone know if Smirnova & Siianytsia's families are okay? I believe most of their families are both still in Dnipro (or were a month ago). Just hoping that all is well with them.
We have had some communication with their coach recently, the latest information was that Danil's Mom has successfully escaped from Ukraine and Nastyia's family is currently safe.
Sounds like they are continuing to practice for Jr Worlds and getting lots of support to help deal with this terrible situation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information