The Dance Hall 9: Bring the Bling or No Beijing 2021-2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
I am looking forward to seeing Muramoto/Takahashi finish top 10 next month! :cheer2:
Now, now... We know the dream is for MuraTaka to finish top 10 at 2025 Worlds! That'll make all those years of being satisfied with their post-season ending at 4CCs while MuraTaka get sent to Worlds worth it! :rofl:

But, really, anyone who thinks MuraTaka will finish Top 10 at Worlds has clearly been spending too much time with Weed Jesus.

Dobre

I'm looking forward to seeing Muramoto & Takahashi's programs at Worlds. (And I hope very much to see both).

Competition is good for the development of the sport, including within countries that have little depth and only one berth. Roca & Sur were the better team in 1994. I wanted them to go the Olympics. They were the first U.S. dance team I ever saw that looked like a dance team to me. I'm not sure if that makes any sense, but I had seen the top teams from the 92 Olympics, and none of the U.S. teams moved like the teams who were competitive for a medal. R&S did.

And, of course, Punsalan & Swallow went to the Olympics & finished in the hinterlands. (In the end, Roca & Sur wound up with an injury, on top of Sur's losing his request for citizenship).

I never fell in love with Punsalan & Swallow as a team, but in the end, I think they developed into a better team themselves because they had that higher-level competition early on. Sending P&S wasn't great for 1994, but the competition between Roca & Sur and Punsalun & Swallow was ultimately good for U.S. ice dance.

caseyedwards

Sounds like StepBuk plan on staying in for another cycle...

They need to have better coaching because if they don’t get better coaching the best they can hope for is Bobrova soloviev results because they have no IT factor! When they tried to innovate twizzles the callers sometimes gave them level 1! And that ruined their attempt at IT factor

yeslek

No he`s not Alot of the top teams at IAM will retire and they will get alot more attention they are still very young, plus they have a trump card which they have not shown yet they can do classical very well as demonstrated in juniors.
L/L don’t even seem like they like each other very much.

litenkyckling

I'm not as sure about Kazakova/Reviya as I used to be. His injury seems to really have them struggling. Hope they can overcome it because they're a cool team.
I'm hoping that they just need more experience - having the Olympics as only your 2nd real senior event (discounting the ones they did as juniors here) is a huge ask, especially when you're the only team representing your country. To me, the OG performances just didn't look as confident or sure as they used to - fingers crossed time will help.

litenkyckling

They need to have better coaching because if they don’t get better coaching the best they can hope for is Bobrova soloviev results because they have no IT factor! When they tried to innovate twizzles the callers sometimes gave them level 1! And that ruined their attempt at IT factor
I think that this is a perfect example of how much taste can dictate in this sport - because for me they really do have the IT factor! To me, they have a really great energy on the ice that other teams don't have. I think with better skating skills and speed, they'd be an incredibly well rounded package. I personally saw huge improvements at Europeans (in their confidence too) and so who knows, maybe with Morozov in the coaching team they will improve their skills and have more difficulty in their programmes. They won't change coaches - similarly to G/P and Carol Lane, I just think that the coaching loyalty is incredibly deep there with family ties etc.

caseyedwards

I think that this is a perfect example of how much taste can dictate in this sport - because for me they really do have the IT factor! To me, they have a really great energy on the ice that other teams don't have. I think with better skating skills and speed, they'd be an incredibly well rounded package. I personally saw huge improvements at Europeans (in their confidence too) and so who knows, maybe with Morozov in the coaching team they will improve their skills and have more difficulty in their programmes. They won't change coaches - similarly to G/P and Carol Lane, I just think that the coaching loyalty is incredibly deep there with family ties etc.
I see they will not change coaches just add advisors who can hopefully get them results equal that of sinitsina and katsalapov! IT factor is totally subjective. The only thing that matters is trying to always get level 4 elements. And also GOE on those elements.

shan

I don't know about not gaining speed via steps, but L/L are definitely getting speed somewhere. Individually, they are both obviously strong skaters. I do agree about them lacking precision. But as I've said elsewhere, to me the biggest issue is their lack of chemistry together. They need to interact more with each other on the ice. It's interesting that they don't interact more when they've skated together for so long already ... They definitely feel more brother/sister than anything else. Maybe they just need to work on their acting skills. LOL.

They are a team that doesn't hold my attention, although I think the Rio FD has improved this season. She seems to always project to the audience instead of connecting to her partner. Maybe he doesn't give her a chance?

bcash

The LaLas still have this junior "look" to them, which isn't necessarily in the skills, but more in their lines and the intention behind their movements. (though he can be a committed and engaging performer) They haven't found a Dance identity. Plus they just both look...young.

firstflight

Earlier in this season I stated that I found Zachary L annoying because he was overdoing it in trying to be Scott M. There was forceful pushback then, but I’m glad that more people are stating that he is the one resulting in the comparisons with V/M at all.

Clearly, he wasn’t happy at the end of their Olympic FD. And they weren’t exactly warm with each other. I wonder if Green/Parsons beating them by such a large margin at Skate Canada started the trajectory of the rest of the season.

Last edited:

Dobre

If Papadakis & Cizeron, Sinitsina & Katsalapov, Hubbell & Donohue, Gilles & Poirier, Chock & Bates, Guignard & Fabbri, Smart & Diaz, Hurtado & Khaliavin, and Fournier-Beaudry & Sorensen all get out before the next Olympics (none of which has been ruled out), then you've got only Stepanova & Bukin and Fear & Gibson left from the current top ten.

I've got no problem with saying that Muramoto & Takahashi could have a shot at the top ten if they stayed in. (But Takahashi is 35 so at the moment, I'm just glad they seem to be going to Worlds).

Blumberg and Seibert were stellar, but they went professional after the 1984-5 season.
I did not see them on TV until much later. U.S. dance was really sunk circa 1992.

DORISPULASKI

Watching submarine races
By those who have never seen them skate, maybe :)

I remember Tessa & Scott coming out of juniors like gangbusters. The LaLas are having a more typical trajectory.

No kidding. V&M had a thread about 40 pages long in 2004 about the horrible injustice of them finishing in 11th behind Lauren Senft / Leif Gislason who finished in 8th at Junior World's. V&M had apparently beaten Sent/Gislason at Jr. Nationals, and it was just evil Senft being a judge that caused this travesty. L&L as seniors haven't generated that kind of buzz.

Do you think the rules could be interpreted to allow the accessory of a Siamese cat?
Why not? Evan Lysacek had a snake. Jean-Luc Baker had a black swan, at least in exhibition.

Madison Chock could make her hair appear to be a cat sitting on her head.

She has been an alien and was previously a snake.

What couldn't she pull off?

Last edited:

yurokis40

Next year is more important for L&L because its the start of the new quad that`s when they have to start establishing themselves plus they did beat Davis and Smolkin at the olympics which i guess is something to build on.

yurokis40

Plus I don`t think the judges were ever fully on board with the Rio program, I think when they come up with something more classical like in juniors the judges will respond they did love the warsaw concerto program.

ostile17

Now, now... We know the dream is for MuraTaka to finish top 10 at 2025 Worlds! That'll make all those years of being satisfied with their post-season ending at 4CCs while MuraTaka get sent to Worlds worth it! :rofl:

But, really, anyone who thinks MuraTaka will finish Top 10 at Worlds has clearly been spending too much time with Weed Jesus.

I don't think anyone but team KoKo thinks that. ;)

• Love
Reactions: Tak

dancing_on_ice

If Papadakis & Cizeron, Sinitsina & Katsalapov, Hubbell & Donohue, Gilles & Poirier, Chock & Bates, Guignard & Fabbri, Smart & Diaz, Hurtado & Khaliavin, and Fournier-Beaudry & Sorensen all get out before the next Olympics (none of which has been ruled out), then you've got only Stepanova & Bukin and Fear & Gibson left from the current top ten.
I think that by 2026, F/G will be the only team left of the current top ten. Everyone else is older and has had a history of injuries. Almost half of those teams are going to be done at the end of this season (P/C, H/D, S/K, G/P, most likely). And then I see mid-quad retirements for F-B/S, C/B, S/D, and S/B (a lot of the Montreal teams will prolly call it quits after Montreal Worlds). S/B have had a lot of injuries. H/K are older too.

Taso

I think that by 2026, F/G will be the only team left of the current top ten. Everyone else is older and has had a history of injuries. Almost half of those teams are going to be done at the end of this season (P/C, H/D, S/K, G/P, most likely). And then I see mid-quad retirements for F-B/S, C/B, S/D, and S/B (a lot of the Montreal teams will prolly call it quits after Montreal Worlds). S/B have had a lot of injuries. H/K are older too.
F/G wont be there either, he is the oldest of any if the skaters you are mentioning at 34. They will definitely continue in hope of a world medal next season.

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
So by 2026, based on current standings, we'll have Fear/Gibson, Hawayek/Baker, Green/Parsons, the amazing Russian junior team Kag/Ang, Diana/Gleb, La/La, Georgians, hopefully a new Japanese team, who else looks promising?

mjb52

There's a few promising Russian junior teams, but promising Russian junior teams have had trouble making the leap to seniors since the team that shall not be named to avoid causing conflict lol.

dancing_on_ice

So by 2026, based on current standings, we'll have Fear/Gibson, Hawayek/Baker, Green/Parsons, the amazing Russian junior team Kag/Ang, Diana/Gleb, La/La, Georgians, hopefully a new Japanese team, who else looks promising?
I think the American battle is going to get very interesting. Don't count out Carreira/Ponomarenko either. They've had a rough season, but just two seasons ago, they were the ones pushing H/B for the US No. 3 spot. They're still very young too and can realistically go for both 2026 and 2030. I'm curious what the American situation is going to look like. Will it go back to the Meryl/Charlie with one top team pushing for world titles or continue with several strong teams exchanging US titles and contending for world medals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information