Music group sues NBC, US figure skating pair over use of song during Winter Olympics

maatTheViking

Roxaaannnneeee!!!
I thought ISU and USFSA had agreements with the copyright music orgs about song use?

Everytime a bad cover and IP has been brought up in the past, someone has pointed out that copyright is a non-issue for skating programs?

VGThuy

I thought ISU and USFSA had agreements with the copyright music orgs about song use?

Everytime a bad cover and IP has been brought up in the past, someone has pointed out that copyright is a non-issue for skating programs?
Usually they purchase a blanket license from orgs and doing that probably covers like millions of songs. But I guess not every song is covered and if it’s a niche or obscure cover of a song, the likelihood that it’s not covered increases. Maybe NBC will get the ISU to make a rule to stop using covers haha.

crzesk8dad

Where am I? How do I get off? Do I get ice cream?
They feel that they should have been paid for the use of their music. How much money do they think that figure skaters have? They are getting a lot of free publicity for their band by having the music used during the olympics.
Ice rinks, NBC and USFS have agreements with ASCAP and BMI to play music for live performances. It does get trickier and costlier with replays on TV or You Tube or other streaming.

This article explains it well:

Maybe they are not part of those agreements and think there is a payday coming?

MacMadame

Doing all the things
Maybe they are not part of those agreements and think there is a payday coming?
Apparently, they have sued lots of people. Over their performance of a song in the public domain.

Yes. And Kevin Reynolds had to change a program one year over issues with his music. But that's why I though feds or choreographers or someone had people checking the licenses. Maybe not.
IIRC, the artist asked him not to use it? Which is different. But I could be remembering wrong.

sk9tingfan

The fact that they did not pick this up until The Olympics, tells you that they are not figure skating fans. Nor are their lawyers. Knierim and Frazer started skating to it in November and announced its selection previous to that. :rolleyes: Actually I think that none of them picked this up. I would venture to guess that an Olympic watching spouse or friend.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
The fact that they did not pick this up until The Olympics, tells you that they are not figure skating fans. Nor are their lawyers. Knierim and Frazer started skating to it in November and announced its selection previous to that. :rolleyes: Actually I think that none of them picked this up. I would venture to guess that an Olympic watching spouse or friend.

I think the only times this program would have been on broadcast TV are US Nationals and the Olympics. I seriously doubt that most musicians are watching the skaters' announcements of their program choices earlier in the year.

Barbara Manatee

If they are that sue-happy, I'd guess they have search engines regularly scanning for use and mention of their music. It's likely they waited until the Olympic performance had aired because the giant audience would allow them to claim maximum damage and compensation.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
This could explain why NBC Sports took down all of it’s Olympic skating videos.

Didn’t a top German pair use the same music (same recording) as their free program not so long ago? It’s not as if K/F are the first to skate to this.

Aceon6

Wrangling the duvet into the cover
They are a copyright trolls. Similar to patent trolls, they acquire rights to something then hunt down anyone who doesn’t go through them to license. I doubt USFS or the ISU even knew these guys existed. They may have picked on the wrong violation though.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
I think the only times this program would have been on broadcast TV are US Nationals and the Olympics. I seriously doubt that most musicians are watching the skaters' announcements of their program choices earlier in the year.
Also Skate America

Hasse(sp?) and Seegert in 2018 used the exact same music. And they were sued.
When? Because if it was in 2018, wouldn't someone know this when KniFra announced they were using it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information