The Dance Hall 9: Bring the Bling or No Beijing 2021-2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

SidelineSkater

The 10-11 season was the first for the then Short now Rhythm Dance. The GW had two sequences and if I recall, took up a huge chunk of time to complete. As someone mentioned earlier, it was very difficult at that time to hit L4.

I was new to watching dance seriously that season, so I don’t recall much other than D/Ws La Traviata and Bob/Sols 2nd program using music from Chess and Josh Groban.

Belsornia

I bite because I like it
I suppose they’ll need to announce around Worlds so teams can start preparing for next season, but I kind of hope the delay is because they’re planning an overhaul of the RD specifications. The concept is still messy: pattern plus other rhythms plus theme is too much.

Though saying that, I’ve prefered most of the top teams RDs to their FDs this season.

Baby Yoda On Skates

I actually enjoyed most of the RDs this season and much more so than the travesty that was supposed to be Broadway the last couple of seasons. If we had to have a pandemic cause us to keep the same rhythm for two years it could have shown up during the 2015-2016 season instead.

VGThuy

I hope the tech committee restructures the RD again because I cannot tolerate a butchered Golden Waltz where they only do like 5 of the steps or something. We’ve had the midnight blues twice in two Olympic cycles and it’s criminal what they did to it.

Honestly, my favorite dance since they mixed the compulsory patterns and the ODs was the 2015-16 SD where they did the full Ravensburger and made the skaters do a full partial step sequence in-hold. They got rid of the SBS midline or circular step to make room for it but I didn’t miss it at all. And the midline steps have started looking more like leveled up choreo step sequences these days anyway. Maybe that only makes sense for the waltzes but I thought we ended up having amazing programs that year that were for the most part full-structured, coherent, and full of content that didn’t seem so stop and go.

Last edited:

mjb52

So 2015-2016 was the Ravensburger Waltz? That time it was in combination with polka, march, and foxtrot. I wasn't watching that season, how were the SDs?

eta: @VGThuy I posted this without seeing your post!

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
I'd love to see either the Golden or Ravensburger Waltz as the pattern for the RD next season, but do we think the current class of dancers would succeed at the Golden? I hate to think how bad it would be from so many of these teams.

Mostly, I really want to see a required step sequence in a a closed dance hold. What we have nowadays is meh.

I did enjoy the Ravensburger SD season.

screech

So 2015-2016 was the Ravensburger Waltz? That time it was in combination with polka, march, and foxtrot. I wasn't watching that season, how were the SDs?

eta: @VGThuy I posted this without seeing your post!
That season had Gilles/Poirier skating to The Beatles, and elements from their dance have been adapted by the ISU into a new pattern dance called the March. I'm wondering if/when we'll get to see the March as a set pattern in the RD. (Creation of the pattern is credited to G/P and their team)

NinjaTurtles

No lamb chop, so don’t you fork my peas
That season had Gilles/Poirier skating to The Beatles, and elements from their dance have been adapted by the ISU into a new pattern dance called the March. I'm wondering if/when we'll get to see the March as a set pattern in the RD. (Creation of the pattern is credited to G/P and their team)
I forgot about the Sgt Pepper dance; that was fun.

Isn’t it going to be named Maple Leaf March?

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
All the better to separate the wheat from the chaff then. The truly capable will learn and those that find can just be down in the standings.
Well, that's assuming the tech panel 1) does its job, and 2) the pattern isn't chopped up into something the lightweights can handle.

VGThuy

I'd love to see either the Golden or Ravensburger Waltz as the pattern for the RD next season, but do we think the current class of dancers would succeed at the Golden? I hate to think how bad it would be from so many of these teams.

Mostly, I really want to see a required step sequence in a a closed dance hold. What we have nowadays is meh.

I did enjoy the Ravensburger SD season.
I think the latest generation of dancers are as or better equipped to handle the golden waltz than past generations. They all have grown up in a post-IJS world where coaching teams now emphasize edge quality and basics in a way that is kind of unprecedented. The top teams of the past were able to do it, but we know many of them are among the best of all time. The rest of the field may not have been and past teams were never scrutinized by a tech panel like the ice dancers are now. I foresee many low levels and difficulty achieving levels but that’s only because the GW is hard I think the cream will rise to the top and those that will struggle will take it as a learning experience and it will hopefully make them stronger.

VGThuy

I was hoping the RDs would go back to being stricter about themes and rhythms and narrow them down but I think the ISU and “casual” audiences like how the RD nearly have has much freedom of choice with music and rhythm as they do in the FD. The corridors for the RD was so wide now.

skatingguy

decently
I was hoping the RDs would go back to being stricter about themes and rhythms and narrow them down but I think the ISU and “casual” audiences like how the RD nearly have has much freedom of choice with music and rhythm as they do in the FD. The corridors for the RD was so wide now.
I think they kind of had to that for the 'street dance'. There were so many teams that could never pull off a true hip-hop program. I would like them to allow the rhythm dance to be one rhythm throughout. I don't think we always need a change, and it often detracts from the program.

manhn

I don’t mind the tempo change requirement this season as the blues pattern can only be skated with slower music. They need more peppy set patterns. If they wanted base a new hip hop pattern from this year’s crop of programs, I would suggest Hubbell and Donohue, who I felt took the assignment as is and perfected it as best as possible. If you want to look at a lower ranked team, maybe look at the Spanish team.

Katha

So, we've talked about Zhulin's old-fashioned notions and how that influenced the development of S/K. But for all that he isn't reinventing the wheel, I feel that he always looks for something that will look as good as possible on them. They skated that RD really great yesterday and IMO it was impressive and made them shine because it's tailored to their strengths. Was a bit surprised how much I liked it, honestly.

Hubbell/Donohue have never been my thing and Idk, yesterday it kinda struck me that they're so great yet somehow...their material never quite gets all the way there for them? There's so much talk about how skilled they are, perhaps on par with P/C, yet I feel that their packaging never reflects that. The RD suits them, but even in the composition of that "Rhythm Nation" is so superior to the parts that come earlier IMO. I caught myself thinking during RN that I could love them if they always skated like that.

Overall a great night of skating, I thought. And yeah...the theme is nonsense, but I can see why the ISU wanted to present something entertaining for the Olympics. 24 tangos or waltzes are probably a more difficult sell, though I personally loved those seasons. At least from the top teams, because you really saw the skill involved in the patterns. P/C and S/K produced two of my fave programs ever with their tango RDs.

Andrea82

Will the panel of judges remain identical for the FD ?

At Olympics and at ISU Championships, they draw a pool of 13 countries that nominates the 13 judges (12 in Beijing, because Japan withdrew their judge a few weeks before the start).
Then 9 judges are drawn 45 minutes before the RD.
The other 4 will serve in the FD along with 5 from the RD (the 5 are drawn 45 minutes before the start of the segment).

So coming back to Beijing, the 3 not used in the RD who should appear (covid tests permitting) in the FD are France (Molina), Italy (Cesaro) and Ukraine (Makarova).

Last edited:

Dobre

In the end, Ramanauskaite/Kizala got the best out of this experience. It was a decent showing afterall, a new PB and the oppurunity of being flagbearers at the opening ceremony.
It was respectable, as opposed to the Israeli team's performance from 4 years ago, which was not.

Of course it wasn't remotely as competitive as Reed & Ambrulevicius, but I was very glad to see R&A at Europeans & have hope they will attend Worlds as well.
Well, there were pearls:

And there were sequins:

Oh, you probably meant the programs:slinkaway.

That was the year Ilinikh & Zhiganshin tried to convince the dance world that We Will Rock You worked with a waltz. (It didn't). It was also the year that Marie-France taught us that you can turn every single piece of music into a march if you just overlay the same thing. And the year that Chock & Bates and Weaver & Poje both scrapped their RD programs after the CS series. Gilles & Poirier decided to skate to the Beatles & finally picked a successful number by Worlds. Hubbell & Donohue created Hallelujah 1.0.

I am now going to go watch the Shibs' Coppelia because it has been too long since I've seen Maia bop Alex in the head.

Last edited:

cocotaffy

Fetchez la vache... mais fetchez la vache !
At Olympics and at ISU Championships, they draw a pool of 13 countries that nominates the 13 judges (12 in Beijing, because Japan withdrew their judge a few weeks before the start).
Then 9 judges are drawn 45 minutes before the RD.
The other 4 will serve in the FD along with 5 from the RD (the 5 are drawn 45 minutes before the start of the segment).

So coming back to Beijing, the 3 not used in the RD who should appear (covid tests permitting) in the FD are France (Molina), Italy (Cesaro) and Ukraine (Makarova).
So what do we think of the Ukrainian judge ? It does mean the Russian judge won't be in the panel as I read they can't cross path or did I misunderstand ?

Dobre

So what do we think of the Ukrainian judge?
Is it Anastasiya Makarova?

(I was going to post the results links to 2006 & 2014 also, but the judges for those events were listed in random order so I don't know that the protocols from those events can be relied upon to match the number of the judge listed on the first link above).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information