Unpopular Opinions

livetoskate

Rohene Ward made so many great programs for him that it's strange that he's stuck to David Wilson for so long. But Schindler's List basically takes everything special about his skating and tosses it out the window.
It was gross (IMHO) seeing Jason Brown start off his short program thrusting his butt out repeatedly. I was on the audience side facing his behind. Was that supposed to be avante-garde choreography or turn on the old ladies/men watching him?!

Andora

Skating season ends as baseball season begins
I didn't even think about that! Shame Meagan's name wasn't Ariel.

With that voice?

(Mostly kidding)

I like their skating, but the alien idea seems pretty weird to me, and I dislike her hairstyle. Whatever happened to just skating beautifully without having to have some big story that needs to be told to everyone in order to understand something weird? (Shades of Candeloro's Lucky Luke program, where he wrote out an explanation of his theme and handed it to judges before a pro competition).

Ahhhh - forgot all about the Lucky Luke info pamphlets :lol:

C&B make some interesting ideas work because Madison Chock wills it so. Much like their skating. But I enjoy them greatly, so this will probably be a very limited acknowledgement of their skills.

LoopCombo

In all fairness, Ilia probably should have beaten Nathan as well as Jason and Vincent at US nationals. With that ride-out on those quads. And his spins were great too. I’d have given Nathan the win if it hadn’t been for the two unnecessary falls in the free skate, but such as it was he deserved a big fat silver.

Lemonade20

If I agreed with you, we’d both be wrong.
Probably falls under unpopular opinions, but I think Gabby Daleman doesn't know what to do with her life. She's not a strong contender anymore, but doesn't know anything except skating & taking selfies on social media. She reminds me of another useless American skater.

aka_gerbil

Rooting for the Underdogs
Probably falls under unpopular opinions, but I think Gabby Daleman doesn't know what to do with her life. She's not a strong contender anymore, but doesn't know anything except skating & taking selfies on social media. She reminds me of another useless American skater.
Not knowing what to do with one’s life doesn’t make someone useless.

So many skaters and other athletes have talked about how difficult it is to make the transition from competitive life to retired life. The focus for their whole life is on this one thing. I hope Gabby will soon be able to figure what passion to follow next that makes her happy. (I have some suspicion that her mother has been continuing to push the skating at this point.)

Japanfan

Unkind and unfair.

Skating is all she knows, and she's done it from a young age. Plus, I think she probably wants to go out on a high note, and that what she expected of herself these past few seasons is more than what she achieved.

I am sure it is hard for many figure skaters to move on. Not surprisingly many remain involved in the sport in some way - perhaps Gabby will as well.

It would generally be for hard for many young people who have devoted their lives to anything to move on from that thing. Unless they are like Rochette or Kwan, who clear had callings/clear ambitions.

Last edited:

sap5

Unkind and unfair.

Skating is all she knows, and she's done it from a young age. Plus, I think she probably wants to go out on a high note, and that what she expected of herself these past few seasons is more than what she achieved.

I am sure it is hard for many figure skaters to move on. Not surprisingly many remain involved in the sport in some way - perhaps Gabby will as well.

It would generally be for hard for many young people who have devoted their lives to anything to move on from that thing. Unless they are like Rochette or Kwan, who clear had callings/clear ambitions.
I like the perspective that some coaches are now taking -- that they want to prepare skaters to skate but also to live their lives beyond skating. Encouraging them to make decisions on their own, to trust their judgment, to do want they think is right and not just rely on the coach for every little thing. That can make the transition a little easier.

Lemonade20

If I agreed with you, we’d both be wrong.
I like the perspective that some coaches are now taking -- that they want to prepare skaters to skate but also to live their lives beyond skating. Encouraging them to make decisions on their own, to trust their judgment, to do want they think is right and not just rely on the coach for every little thing. That can make the transition a little easier.
I agree, there's more to life than just skating and looking pretty. She relies too much on what people tell her to do and it feels like she's stuck and not going anywhere.

bardtoob

Another unpopular opinion: an Olympic team medal is NOT equivalent to an Olympic individual medal!
True ... Very true ... But some individual team performances can still be a celebration of what a skater has accomplished IF THEY PERFORM A TRULY EPIC PROGRAM.

once_upon

Better off than 2020
Another unpopular opinion: an Olympic team medal is NOT equivalent to an Olympic individual medal!
I'm not sure that's ever been a popular decision

And by that standard none of the team gymnastics medals should count or the swimming 4 member relay races or the 2 person or 4 person bobsled. Or any other sport that has one person competitions, that also has a 2 or more competition.

🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️

sap5

Why do people think this about figure skating but not about other sports? Do people not count Michael Phelps' relay medals when they talk about his medal count? A medal is a medal. That one was chosen to participate in the team event/relay already is worth something.

Yuri

Why do people think this about figure skating but not about other sports? Do people not count Michael Phelps' relay medals when they talk about his medal count? A medal is a medal. That one was chosen to participate in the team event/relay already is worth something.
But there's a HUGE difference! Swimming has always had relay races even among young kids as an essential part of the sport from its beginnings. Gymnasts regularly compete in team events whether representing their local clubs, high schools, universities, and so forth.

But the team figure skating event, created only eight years ago, REEKS TO HIGH HEAVEN as a Made-for-TV money-making event. There's no such thing as a team event combining men's and women's singles, pairs, and dance at any other level of figure skating. Not even at the World or European Championships. Plus it's completely disingenuous to say something like "Virtue & Moir are the most-decorated ice dancing couple" when there was no opportunity prior to 2014 for skaters to collect team medals. There are plenty of legendary skaters (especially those from the USA and the former USSR) who could have collected at least two more skating medals if team events always existed.

MsZem

I see the sea
But the team figure skating event, created only eight years ago, REEKS TO HIGH HEAVEN as a Made-for-TV money-making event. There's no such thing as a team event combining men's and women's singles, pairs, and dance at any other level of figure skating. Not even at the World or European Championships.
So what if it's a new event? It's not the first time events have been added in various sports.

Also, it's not feasible to have a team competition at Worlds, but of course there is the World Team Trophy - which predates the Olympics. One can argue that this too is a made-for-TV competition, but sports need to make someone money in order to attract interest and competitors in the long run, so I see no problem with that.

Plus it's completely disingenuous to say something like "Virtue & Moir are the most-decorated ice dancing couple" when there was no opportunity prior to 2014 for skaters to collect team medals. There are plenty of legendary skaters (especially those from the USA and the former USSR) who could have collected at least two more skating medals if team events always existed.
They are the most decorated ice dancers in Olympic competition. I fail to see how this statement of fact takes away from anyone else's achievements. Plushenko has four Olympic medals and not three because of the team event, does this make him better than skaters who have fewer medals?

There are also skaters who could have won Olympic medals if it had been an Olympic event before 1976, and nobody is wuzrobbing them.

In my very scientific poll of one skater, winning a team medal seemed just fine.

Habs

A bitch from Canada
It surprises me a bit how many people here don't like the team event. It's MORE Olympic figure skating and MORE medals. And look at a country like Japan that is developing its pairs and dance programs to be competitive in the team event. How is this a bad outcome?!

I think it's great! :cheer:

screech

Personally, I enjoy the team event. Since it's still in its infancy, it doesn't have the prestige of an individual medal yet, but within a few more Games, I think it will generally start to be viewed more positively.

It's hard to compare it to the team events in something like gymnastics or swimming, though. In those events, the team is made up of the best of the best. In skating, it's not uncommon for a country to have skaters in some disciplines who don't quite live up to the potential of the rest of their team, and they get propped up by association. For example, Russia in Men's. In each of the other TE disciplines, we can realistically expect Russia to be ranked 1-2. The Russian men could come anywhere from the top to last place on a given day. But the skater(s) competing in the TE would still walk away with the medal, even if they didn't contribute much. Unfortunately, there's no way around this.

I still think the TE should be the figure skating last event of the Games, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information