2022 Nationals in Nashville

Prancer

Chitarrista
Staff member
I’m going through the team in my head and I think the only one who will get any use of the guitar is Zach. Everyone gets a headache of a prize to get home. 🤦‍♀️

Guitars are carryon luggage (although it helps to have a printout of the rules saying so and you might need to brandish them about and make vague threats about phone calls) and are usually kept in the flight attendants' closet during the flight. Sometimes there is a separate bin for bulky things. But either way, it's pretty easy as long as the flight attendants don't insist that it goes in cargo. Stringed instruments should not go in cargo.

Everyone needs at least one guitar. Most people need at least two.

Debbie S

This feels like a very male specific gift given all the men* playing guitar but none of the women. I wonder how that came about.

*and they, just saw Timothy plays
I imagine the organizers have no idea who plays the guitar or not. Maybe it was an odd gift, but there are women (and non-binary) out there who play guitar, so I don't think it's correct to say guitars are "male-specific."

Prancer

Chitarrista
Staff member
How lovely a gift, whether you play or not. Nothing male-specific about it. I used to play when I was a lot younger, and I'm a woman. I don't think I'm the only one either!
No, but male guitar players outnumber female guitar players five to one among amateurs and by much more among professionals. I ask why this is all the time and get nothing but blank stares in return.

Maybe this will encourage some of the women to play.

honey

Well I doubt all the HOF have a ton of use for the silver salad bowls either, but that doesn’t make the gesture any less nice :saint:. I think the guitar is kind of a fun commemoration of their Olympic team nominations and a reminder of the city where it happened.

mjb52

Ohhh I am into speculating about this now - what's the most interesting themed gift they could get from various places. They should do Nationals in Wisconsin and give them a giant chunk of cheese. Reminiscent of those green jackets the winners got from Graz.

LeafOnTheWind

No, but male guitar players outnumber female guitar players five to one among amateurs and by much more among professionals. I ask why this is all the time and get nothing but blank stares in return.

If that works people need to start thinking about gifting women some drum sets because I'm pretty sure there are even fewer female drummers than guitarists.

Karen-W

Checking Senior Bs for TES mins...
I'm just wondering, are any of the alternates going to get any of this swag if they get called up and become Olympians after all?

Aceon6

Wrangling the duvet into the cover
Yes and have coding seminars during ice makes waiting for the TV schedule to catch up.
I would expect half the audience to be coding away at every opportunity making it a “work day”. My pager, yes a pager as we still used them in 2014, went off a dozen times during Boston Nationals. It would have been glorious to have rink WiFi and just be able to deal with things at my seat.

Carolla5501

This feels like a very male specific gift given all the men* playing guitar but none of the women. I wonder how that came about.

*and they, just saw Timothy plays

And this sounds like a very sexist statement assuming only man play a guitar. I know lots of women who play guitars. Maybe you should get out more

LeafOnTheWind

And this sounds like a very sexist statement assuming only man play a guitar. I know lots of women who play guitars. Maybe you should get out more
See Prancer's comment. I know women play the guitar. There just aren't as many and there certainly aren't many female guitarists on the US Olympic team. It definitely felt like a more meaningful gift for one group over the other for this specific group receiving the gift. That was the point to my comment.

Maybe you should ask people to clarify or consider context before you start lecturing.

BTW I am still curious as to how this gift was decided. Was it a sponsor giving them?

Last edited:

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
Ohhh I am into speculating about this now - what's the most interesting themed gift they could get from various places. They should do Nationals in Wisconsin and give them a giant chunk of cheese. Reminiscent of those green jackets the winners got from Graz.
That already happened at a competition this season -- GP Italia, I think!

mtnskater

I skipped the gala and flew home last night. Gave my ticket to a friend. Honestly I was so glad to get out of Nashville. That city is so different from Denver in terms of concern about protecting others and oneself from the crud. Unmasked people even running around the airport with no repercussion. The music row right next to the Bridgestone and our hotel was packed with maskless people indoors, spilling out to the sidewalks, all hours of the day and night. I felt most safe in the Bridgestone arena because they were genuinely requiring POV and the skating crowds were very mask compliant. Lots of KN95’s and double masks there.

I starved much of the event. I had relied on the fact that I would order room service for some of my meals. But the Renaissance has shut down room service during the pandemic. Go figure. I arrived in Nashville on Wednesday and both Wednesday and Thursday little food was available at the arena. Then later USFS imposed a ban on eating at your seats forcing the crowd to eat standing on the concourse during breaks when the large crowds were walking around. I was constantly trying to distance from maskless eaters on the concourse after that. My 7 friends were also starving too. I didn’t want to eat on the concourse and now not allowed to eat or drink in the seats. On the day after the snow we walked to a popular downtown BBQ over several blocks of very icy, uncleared sidewalks to get a decent meal. Most restaurants had closed due to weather…even the whole food court. It was a day when folks were advised to stay home and not drive. It was still pretty crowded with maskless people coming in the door. We managed to find a place a bit away from the main dining area to eat.

The next day we had a break about 3 so we all went to the Renaissance to get a sit down hot meal and were told not serving food until5 but we could get drinks 😵 So we bought cold sandwiches at the hotel lobby shop and found a table in the lobby.

After the men’s free skate we all got a table at 60 Vines. It has the whole third floor all to itself at the 5th and Broadway food court. Lovely airy atmosphere. A delight with excellent food, service, spread out socially distanced tables and lots of space. So I had two decent meals in 5 days 😅

If the crud is over when they hold the next event in Nashville I might go. Although you must be ready to be bombarded with country music day and night. If not, no way will I visit there again. Sat on the plane with a couple that is moving from Nashville to Denver because they are so disgusted with the culture there…lack of concern for their fellow man during the pandemic. I don’t think USFS was prepared for the suddenly exploding Omicron situation. It has happened so fast. I just hope there won’t be a lot more cases among the skaters Or the fans who came. The local news said 1 in every 35 people in Nashville were positive for CoVid last week. I’m in the camp we need to start to learn to live with this thing. But that means people respecting public health precautions during high outbreaks like now.

Personally I really liked Detroit better for Nationals. Great arena. Lots of attached restaurants. I also like San Jose and will be back there. I hope USFS doesn’t ban food in the seats ever again. These events go on for hours and days and the spectators comfort and well being should also be important.

By the way, they scanned everyone’s bags even if they were clear so I didn’t need to buy that clear bag I used. Fortunately they were quite lax about the nuts and little snacks I always carried in that bag and never said a word.

CantALoop

keeper of Rinka's isopod plushies

Speaking of female guitarists, has there ever been a senior-level program to music by Charo?

If not, does anybody have connections to whoever selects the song choices for Carreira/Ponomarenko? Asking for a friend :shuffle:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information