USFS' Athlete Selection Procedures for 2022 Olympics

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
LOL, I don't think you were making it up, lol. Just wanted to know if it came from a good source or if it was someone's wishful thinking.

toddlj

I'm highly entertained by folks blaming Zhou for every possible thing.

It's sad your favorite got passed up, but please folks, have some perspective.

Zhou won SA, and a bronze at world's, did quite well at the last Olympics, and has the highest potential ceiling of the various candidates other than Chen.

He has low lows, true, but he's a world medal contender and that's not nothing.

Orm Irian

Ooooh. I underestimated the goodwill Jason garnered within the USFS. Malinin would have been chosen by Russia no doubt. Maybe even Japan.
Possibly also the value of being second in the World Standings due to both quality and consistency of results, one of the two great acknowledged artists of the sport skating today and the team's Old Reliable. ;)

If you have the luxury of three spots to play with, it's a good idea to create a team with diverse strengths, not send a set of skaters who have the same strengths but also the same weaknesses. Jason's great card to play is that he lets the US do that without sacrificing anything.

kalamalka

It's not goodwill, it's his consistency throughout the fall vs Ilia.
Ilia was pretty consistent too - he won both his JGPs, and his only bad program was his short at the Challenger in Austria (where he still finished third). Scores were necessarily lower because no quads in the short for juniors.

AYS

🌻
I think my first post on this thread is worth reiterating:

snoopysnake

In 2018 they close Adam Rippon (4th) over Ross Miner (the US silver medalist) for the Olympics, so they have kind of done a similar choice here. This time I got the team I'd hoped for prior to the competition, but I think Ilia should have been chosen considering the competition itself. I could argue for bumping Vincent and sending Jason, but now I think Ilia deserves to go to the Olympics more than either one of them. Seems like all this controversy over who goes to the Olympics started in 2014 when Mirai Nagasu got bumped, and now we seem stuck with all these uncertainties.

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
I could argue for bumping Vincent and sending Jason, but now I think Ilia deserves to go to the Olympics more than either one of them.
You could, but USFS can't really: Zhou was in Group 2, over both Brown and Malinin.

Had the decision gone the other way, I would have felt that Malinin was a worthy Olympian, and I would have been heartbroken for Brown. But I am feeling a wonderful sense of schadenfreude not for those who genuinely championed Malinin, but for those who cackled about all of the heads exploding over Brown not making it if Malinin did, for much of the first half of the season, because Brown just isn't up to snuff.

D

Deleted member 221

It makes me sad that US Nationals in the Olympic year has basically become a meaningless event.

Exactly. Why have Jason Brown fly in from Canada, have his coach come down with C19, etc., when it was already predetermined he was on the team? Same goes for Chen and Zhou. Give everyone an extra week of training time.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
They'd probably lose. USFS hasn't gone outside the criteria and Nationals has never been the be all and end all.
I agree. The criteria made it clear they could pick whomever they wanted within the Group rankings.

Well, Nationals hasn't been the be all end all for about 25 years - I think that they switched to the committee format in the 90s when TV rights became a factor and they didn't want to have to give up a piece of their broadcasting contract to the USOC by designating it as the US Olympic Trials/Qualifier.

VGThuy

Once again if Ilia isn’t given a senior championship how is he suppose to get those scores to go on GP and develop a body of work?

I mean make this argument and no young skater ever makes a major team if all then men are too 8
He was given a senior event and did poorly score wise compared to Jason’s averages.

Tesla

Whippet Good
Once again if Ilia isn’t given a senior championship how is he suppose to get those scores to go on GP and develop a body of work?

I mean make this argument and no young skater ever makes a major team if all then men are too 8
He still has a chance with senior worlds. Hopefully, he can get the minimums he needs.

shuilee

If Ilia doesn't go to 4CC (to avoid c0vid as 1st alternate), where else could he get tech minimums for Senior Worlds? He may have to take the risk and go to 4CC.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
If Ilia doesn't go to 4CC (to avoid c0vid as 1st alternate), where else could he get tech minimums for Senior Worlds? He may have to take the risk and go to 4CC.
Bavarian Open is the same week as 4CCs and then there is Challenge Cup in late February but that would be awfully close to Jr Worlds.

Do we know who the 4CCs team is yet?

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information