"On Edge" - Olympic Channel's docuseries featuring 6 teams from Ice Academy of Montreal

Rhumba d’Amour

I too thought this was the best episode so far. The competition between the Spanish teams provides a natural storyline, though I wish they would not be quite so circumspect in discussing the reasons for the Hurtado/Diaz split.

And, this week much less footage of Chock & Bates, who verge into refrigerator break territory for me—they just don’t come off as very interesting.

By contrast, the episodes seem to perk up when Fear & Gibson are on the screen; their sparkle is infectious!

Hindernisse

Also, this was the first mention of Sinitsina/Katsalapov in the whole series, but there is no mention of the fact that they beat Papadakis/Cizeron at 2020 Euros. S/K are just called "medal contenders" and Romain makes it clear that he wants his three main medal contenders (P/C, H/D, and C/B) to be far above them. No mention of G/P as other medal contenders. Curious to see how they will continue to portray S/K and G/P.

It was mentioned in today’s episode that S/K are world champions.

dancing_on_ice

It was mentioned in today’s episode that S/K are world champions.
That is true, but I think the more critical component would be pointing out that S/K managed to beat P/C at Europeans and are thus a serious threat for the Olympic Gold. It's interesting in general that Romain just lumps S/K, P/C, H/D, and C/B all as "medal contenders" when the more accurate grouping would be S/K and P/C as Gold medal contenders while H/D, C/B, and G/P are bronze medal contenders. Romain seems to imply that those four teams could all beat each other in any way for the medal placements, when something truly chaotic must have happened if we end up with something like 1) Chock/Bates, 2) Hubbell/Donohue, 3) Sinitsina/Katsalapov.

GreenGan

That is true, but I think the more critical component would be pointing out that S/K managed to beat P/C at Europeans and are thus a serious threat for the Olympic Gold. It's interesting in general that Romain just lumps S/K, P/C, H/D, and C/B all as "medal contenders" when the more accurate grouping would be S/K and P/C as Gold medal contenders while H/D, C/B, and G/P are bronze medal contenders. Romain seems to imply that those four teams could all beat each other in any way for the medal placements, when something truly chaotic must have happened if we end up with something like 1) Chock/Bates, 2) Hubbell/Donohue, 3) Sinitsina/Katsalapov.
Meh. You can tell by my profile pic, but I don't think S/K are that close to P/C. I think they're leaning more towards C/B and H/D territory, especially with what we saw on the GP circuit. But well, we'll see more on Russian nationals.

Also, you can sense the TV dramaturgy being set here. First episodes were meant to present the different teams, their goals and who they are. P/C were not featured that much in the 4 first episode, where the focus was more on FB/S and S/D. S/D story line is the place for Olympics, which is quite jucy for a TV narrative.
H/D and C/B had a part of their narrative told : costume for H/D, change of program for C/B. We'll get more on them on the rivalry for US national title.

Now that we're moving with the season progressing, big guns and top place at GP will be talked about more. C/B and H/D will speak about their ambition to get an Olympic medal : that is their story line. S/D will still be featured as there will be spanish nationals. I don't know yet about F/G and FB/S.

P/C's narrative is the Olympic gold. The "mean guys" ie S/K, (I'm only talking about TV's narrative and what story line makes you want to watch the show) were introduced at the end of this episode. I can see them being featured in a lot more of the future episodes as the only team that have ever beaten P/C that is still competing (bar C/B on 2015's GPF) and the only team that can threaten an IAM only podium at the Olympics. Don't worry : even if these 6 couples are the main subject of this show, S/K will have to appear soon enough.

firstflight

After having traveled and am therefore just catching up on this episode, I have to say I am happy that they continue to keep some of the French interviews with Romain in the episodes. Closed captioning takes of it easily enough, and he’s less restricted in use of language when speaking in French.

Plus, I think he should let the grey grow out fully. Wow, silver fox!

Last edited:

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
When I've watched the episodes online via the OC website, there is no captioning for Romain. I don't mind him speaking French but wish they would include the English subtitles.
You need to click on the CC option. I've watched them on the OC website also and always have to turn them on.

Andora

Skating season ends as baseball season begins
You need to click on the CC option. I've watched them on the OC website also and always have to turn them on.
Yes, the OC site is either cheaping out and just using SDH/captions, or their online platform can't handle actual subtitles. They could have burned them in to avoid needing CC on the entire episode, but....

Sonata

The sixth episode is the best so far IMO. The seventh was a bit thin on content in comparison. They went to Las Vegas for Skate America, but hardly showed anything. I wonder if the crew even went there because they showed so little footage.

It’s too bad Marie-France is not being interviewed. (I can’t remember if they’ve interviewed her at all.) What she and her Patrice have built is truly remarkable and it would be interesting to hear what adjustments they have made due to covid. This week’s episode seemed to show that the athletes are not even skating at their regular rink anymore.

Last edited:

Debbie S

The sixth episode is the best so far IMO. The seventh was a bit thin on content in comparison. They went to Las Vegas for Skate America, but hardly showed anything. I wonder if the crew even went there because they showed so little footage.
The crew was likely there b/c they showed that bit with H/D and her mom in the hotel room making adjustments to their costumes. And they did interview the teams in front of the K&C backdrop. The locker room/putting on costumes scene was likely in their home rink (which looks like the same rink they've been skating in).

Agree this episode was too short. I'm guessing that when they plotted out the series, they started from the end (week before Olys) and worked their way back, and maybe found it hard to get enough footage for the prescribed number of episodes. But I can't believe that there isn't more practice/training footage they couldn't show. The people watching this are the hard-core skating fans...we like watching practices!

Sonata

The crew was likely there b/c they showed that bit with H/D and her mom in the hotel room making adjustments to their costumes. And they did interview the teams in front of the K&C backdrop. The locker room/putting on costumes scene was likely in their home rink (which looks like the same rink they've been skating in).

I had forgotten they had met MH’s mother in Las Vegas. I had even wondered if the off ice interviews had been delegated to someone else because the lighting wasn’t great. Maybe the covid bubble restricted the crew’s access. It seemed odd that they pointed out that there were 4 teams going to the competition, yet spent so little time following them at the actual event or pre-event.

skatingguy

decently

It’s too bad Marie-France is not being interviewed. (I can’t remember if they’ve interviewed her at all.) What she and her Patrice have built is truly remarkable and it would be interesting to hear what adjustments they have made due to *********. This week’s episode seemed to show that the athletes are not even skating at their regular rink anymore.
Marie-France has been interviewed for the series in at least a couple of the episodes that I've seen.

Sonata

Marie-France has been interviewed for the series in at least a couple of the episodes that I've seen.
I honestly can’t remember this! How strange. The episodes really aren’t imprinting on my brain. I noticed there is a lot of Romain and a lot of Sam Chouinard.

bcash

You really see H/D's power in just a few shots of them from rink-side. I agree there shouldn't have been a ten-point gap between the two performances. But they have a tough hill to climb, against perceptions and "politicking". If only they had made different program choices this season... Skating-wise they should at least be scored far ahead of Gilles/Poirier and S/K.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
You really see H/D's power in just a few shots of them from rink-side. I agree there shouldn't have been a ten-point gap between the two performances. But they have a tough hill to climb, against perceptions and "politicking". If only they had made different program choices this season... Skating-wise they should at least be scored far ahead of Gilles/Poirier and S/K.
I think it's more a matter of "if only they had made different program choices this QUAD" - that's what has set them back from PapCiz, because they had some real clunkers between "A Star is Born" and that Marilyn/Joe RD.

Their friendship really came through though in this episode.

Sonata

The background singing makes me feel like I’m watching an episode of The Hills.

Marie-France calling P/C and H/D the top 2 teams gave me pause…. I know this is technically the case, but aren’t H/D and C/B both legitimately vying for the U.S. national title? I agree with their coaches’ descriptions of H/D’s strengths, which is why I’m perplexed as to why they haven’t chosen music in the last few years that highlight their power.

sap5

The background singing makes me feel like I’m watching an episode of The Hills.

Marie-France calling P/C and H/D the top 2 teams gave me pause…. I know this is technically the case, but aren’t H/D and C/B both legitimately vying for the U.S. national title? I agree with their coaches’ descriptions of H/D’s strengths, which is why I’m perplexed as to why they haven’t chosen music in the last few years that highlight their power.
H/D are adults, and at this point, have to take responsibility for their own choices. According to their interviews, H/D are the ones picking their music, and they are picking music they want to skate to.

It's interesting to me to see the difference between H/D and V/M, though. V/M, in the comeback especially, made clear that they wanted to skate to music they liked...but also they made sure it was music that would put them into a position to win...as seen by the way they re-edited and re-choreographed 40% of their Moulin Rouge FD between GPF and Nationals. That kind of drive has to come from the skaters themselves.

Last edited:

deegee

can someone refresh my memory: what is the competition that madi is talking about in this 9th episode where gabi almost face-planted on the twizzle where she and zach were competing against them?

Orm Irian

can someone refresh my memory: what is the competition that madi is talking about in this 9th episode where gabi almost face-planted on the twizzle where she and zach were competing against them?
It's not ringing any bells for me!

ETA: Just tracked it down. It was the GPF in 2019, and it wasn't on the twizzles as in the twizzle sequence element. It was in the midline step; Gabi lost balance on a twizzle within the step sequence, but I'd hardly call it a near-faceplant given that neither her hands nor her upper body went anywhere near the ice! She dropped to one knee for a beat then recovered, that's all. And the midline step was called level 2 because of it, so it's not like the error went unaccounted for in the scoring...

Last edited:

angi

Probably GPF 2019 in the 2019/20 season. Gabi almost face-planted during the twizzles in the midline step sequence and P/C still got +0.97 GOE for the element and won the RD segment by 1.11 points.

zebobes

I really enjoyed this episode! Adrian and Madison’s conversation was so natural… it’s like they are comfortable with each other or something!

Though it’s a little weird that they shared such deep personal things with the entire world. Does Adrian ever want to beat H/D in competition? Or are they just fine being on two different tiers?

deegee

It's not ringing any bells for me!

ETA: Just tracked it down. It was the GPF in 2019, and it wasn't on the twizzles as in the twizzle sequence element. It was in the midline step; Gabi lost balance on a twizzle within the step sequence, but I'd hardly call it a near-faceplant given that neither her hands nor her upper body went anywhere near the ice! She dropped to one knee for a beat then recovered, that's all. And the midline step was called level 2 because of it, so it's not like the error went unaccounted for in the scoring...
ok. i guess i've either completely forgotten about it or i never saw that event. not sure.

i did just find on youtube an interview they did right after the rd where the commentator is mentioning that they received a much lower score for the rd than they had earlier in the season and gabi mentions the stumble.

was there also an automatic 1 pt deduction for her knee touching the ice, along with the downgrade by 2 levels?

angi

was there also an automatic 1 pt deduction for her knee touching the ice, along with the downgrade by 2 levels?
No, it was a stumble and not a fall so no 1 point deduction. But also, no other team would have gotten positive GOE for an element with that big of an error on it and any other team would have taken a hit to their PCS as well and I think that's why it rubbed Madi the wrong way (and she's right).

NinjaTurtles

No lamb chop, so don’t you fork my peas
Madison gave some great reality TV face during the dinner with Adrian. :lol: Interesting that Gabi’s imagined (preferred?) Olympic podium is P/C, H/D, S/K.

I think it’s great that she is ambitious and competitive. Sometimes I think it shows up in her skating in the wrong ways at the worst moments, unfortunately, but that’s the double-edge sword of passion in sport.

Orm Irian

No, it was a stumble and not a fall so no 1 point deduction.
Yeah, I think it was one of those occasions where the judges would give benefit of the doubt to the skater when calling it because one of her blades stayed in contact with the ice throughout and it would have been very difficult to assess how much of her body weight was on that blade and how much was on her knee (based on the speed of recovery it looked to me like more stayed on the blade than transferred to the knee, but I'm far from an expert!).

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information