"On Edge" - Olympic Channel's docuseries featuring 6 teams from Ice Academy of Montreal

canbelto

You can also see it as if you train with your biggest rivals, you can most track what they;re working on, what they're weak in, what they're strong in, how you can develop your programs to counter theirs. Iron sharpens iron.

angi

I think it also helps that the top teams in the dance discipline are relatively older than in the other disciplines. They have more experience at life in general but also in the sport, they've seen more and have been through more, and specifically in Montreal they all seem to take full advantage of the cultural experiences the city offers (it's truly an amazing city).
I also think that the fact I.AM seem to give the skaters a lot more input, control, and autonomy over their careers plays a big part in preventing bitterness towards the coaches - when you are just as responsible for your training, your material, and your packaging it's harder to blame the coaches when things don't go as well as you have hoped.
And finally, all three of the main coaches (Patrice, Romain, and especially Marie-France) strike me as "no BS" coaches, and I doubt they'll tolerate juvenile drama at their caching school.

barbarafan

I think it also helps that the top teams in the dance discipline are relatively older than in the other disciplines. They have more experience at life in general but also in the sport, they've seen more and have been through more, and specifically in Montreal they all seem to take full advantage of the cultural experiences the city offers (it's truly an amazing city).
I also think that the fact I.AM seem to give the skaters a lot more input, control, and autonomy over their careers plays a big part in preventing bitterness towards the coaches - when you are just as responsible for your training, your material, and your packaging it's harder to blame the coaches when things don't go as well as you have hoped.
And finally, all three of the main coaches (Patrice, Romain, and especially Marie-France) strike me as "no BS" coaches, and I doubt they'll tolerate juvenile drama at their caching school.
So true. New dance teams are chosen. For some of the younger teams they have come from other skating schools who are amazing where they had already been taught exceptional basics and skills but are in a standstill at moving up the marks ladder so need something extra.

RoseRed

IIRC, the teams that were already training there were asked for their opinions/approvals both when Tessa & Scott wanted to train there and when Madison & Evan wanted to move there.
I don't remember hearing that for when Tessa and Scott came back. But maybe I missed something. I do remember that Marie-France and Patrice already had an agreement with V/M from back around 2014, before Romain and P/C moved to Montreal, that they would coach them if they decided to come back to competition.

barbarafan

I don't remember hearing that for when Tessa and Scott came back. But maybe I missed something. I do remember that Marie-France and Patrice already had an agreement with V/M from back around 2014, before Romain and P/C moved to Montreal, that they would coach them if they decided to come back to competition.
I have heard they did check it out. As well IAM have access to several rinks...Closer to main competition time they seem to organize the teams so (i am not sure what criteria) but it seems to separate direct competitors a bit.

Colonel Green

IIRC, the teams that were already training there were asked for their opinions/approvals both when Tessa & Scott wanted to train there and when Madison & Evan wanted to move there.
I don’t believe anybody was given input when Tessa & Scott moved there. From Gabriella & Guillaume’s account, they just sat them down to explain that they were coming.

mikej

You can also see it as if you train with your biggest rivals, you can most track what they;re working on, what they're weak in, what they're strong in, how you can develop your programs to counter theirs. Iron sharpens iron.
PEACE! "you can most track what they;re working on" more importantly for me they can see the hard work their friends on the ice are putting into their practice. They can see how much effort their friends are putting into correcting their weaknesses. They can be inspired and develop their own programs as best they can. and they can be rivals at the competitions and friends at practice and off the ice.

Andora

Skating season ends as baseball season begins
I don’t believe anybody was given input when Tessa & Scott moved there. From Gabriella & Guillaume’s account, they just sat them down to explain that they were coming.

I just can't see Marie France & Patrice being so short-sighted with their school. How would they just enforce this on their top skaters, and not be concerned P&C would leave? What if P&C left WITH Romain? Wasn't that even suggested as a possibility by other posters in 2017 after worlds?

I would hope, at worst, it was understood and made clear to Gadbois teams that if V&M returned to competition, they had pre-booked their training spots.

Colonel Green

I just can't see Marie France & Patrice being so short-sighted with their school. How would they just enforce this on their top skaters, and not be concerned P&C would leave? What if P&C left WITH Romain? Wasn't that even suggested as a possibility by other posters in 2017 after worlds?

I would hope, at worst, it was understood and made clear to Gadbois teams that if V&M returned to competition, they had pre-booked their training spots.
From Gabriella and Guillaume’s interview, it was only brought up to them in 2016.

It was I suppose theoretically possible that they would leave (though I can’t really see the benefit to them in that, given how much Marie-France and Patrice had been important to their breakout), but if they had chosen to, that’s that. Coaches seldom want to become hostage to their students in that manner, especially if (as the IAM consortium clearly envisioned) their goal was to build an ice dance empire.

aka_gerbil

Rooting for the Underdogs

Maybe they have the Tamara Moskvina opinion that they decide who trains there. ;)

skatfan

When V&M stepped away from competition I doubt that Marie France and Patrice ever thought that they would come back. Or that P&C would become the multiple World champs right away in 2015, setting up IAM with two top couples. When it did happen then everybody adjusts. Don’t they have multiple ice sheets? I thought I read that before the last Olympics that V&M and P&C were not on the ice at the same time and place.

Judy

I am sure that Marie France and Patrice reassured each team that they would be treated equally. I do not think they asked permission. It would have been crazy for P&C to leave. Both teams were crazy talented and they were with the best coaches as well.

skatingguy

decently
Dubreuil & Lauzon starting laying the groundwork for Virtue/Moir to move to IAM at least as early as shortly after the free dance at the 2014 Olympics.

barbarafan

When V&M stepped away from competition I doubt that Marie France and Patrice ever thought that they would come back. Or that P&C would become the multiple World champs right away in 2015, setting up IAM with two top couples. When it did happen then everybody adjusts. Don’t they have multiple ice sheets? I thought I read that before the last Olympics that V&M and P&C were not on the ice at the same time and place.
exactly so.

Judy

As a Cdn V&M I was shocked when they made the announcement. Then I was pissed they would cause me stress again. 😂

I never, ever expected them to come back with increased skill like they did.

This Olympics will be much less stress for me lol. Hoping for no injuries or sickness to the competitors as I always do

manhn

Is there any more "tension" between two couples fighting for the top Olympic/Worlds spot as opposed to two couples fighting for the top Nationals spot, or fighting for a Worlds medal (bronze/silver) or fighting for top ten?

VGThuy

Is there any more "tension" between two couples fighting for the top Olympic/Worlds spot as opposed to two couples fighting for the top Nationals spot, or fighting for a Worlds medal (bronze/silver) or fighting for top ten?
Good question. For example, things seemed tense for the top three American teams from 2016-2018.

escaflowne9282

Reformed Manspreader
Ha at you describing that noise as music. :lol:
To be fair, that first piece of music in C&B's RD has this weird roller rink / traveling carnival organ vibe to it. It actually could have been really voidy without the singing or lyrics.

Rhumba d’Amour

Ha at you describing that noise as music. :lol:
Perhaps I am not the only one who, upon hearing in the last episode that Chock and Bates originally planned to use Sade’s music for their RD, was dismayed that they would have ditched that idea in favor of…Billie Eilish?

I mean, why? Sade would have been enjoyable, is little (or maybe even never) used, and I think would have suited them much better!

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
No matter what the older fans want to continue pushing out about Eilish, it could be a skater(s) with 2.00 skating skills and zero choreography and the program is going to play over extremely well with the target audience: the people who are going to be most active in sharing content across different platforms. Sorry about it ;) (and Michael Buble is still much worse)

Judy

Perhaps I am not the only one who, upon hearing in the last episode that Chock and Bates originally planned to use Sade’s music for their RD, was dismayed that they would have ditched that idea in favor of…Billie Eilish?

I mean, why? Sade would have been enjoyable, is little (or maybe even never) used, and I think would have suited them much better!
I guess it would depend on the mount of money they would have to pay? I always thought that it was just allowed?

firstflight

I thought it was cute for them to bring up how Adrian tried to get with Madison while she was still dating Zach, not knowing she was with someone. Now they’re engaged with a date set in 2023. Zach has been on a different journey and is now very overtly devout.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information