Kostornaia out of Russian Nationals

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hedwig

Antique member
Since I only saw it in passing in another thread and then searched for information - I think other might not have read it as well and it deserves it's own thread.

Unfortunately she is out of RN due to injury - post from the Russian lady thread:

soogar

I hope she goes to another coach. This group of no-talent egomaniacs publicly trash her and say that she is not working hard enough and shame her for protecting her body from injury, and then she winds up injured. I don't like to wish evil on other competitors, but it would serve Team Tut right if all of their skaters wound up injured and not performing well at the games. If anything, it would serve as a wake up call in the way they push and dispose of their athletes. They are arrogant because they have a large number of athletes.

LoopCombo

I hope that if Kostornaia wants to change coaches again after this, there is a good coach who will take her. Maybe she hurt her wrist horseback riding or something, but it definitely seems like she could have hurt herself falling on that triple axel that Gleichengauz said she could physically do she just didn’t mentally want it enough. An athlete should not gain a reputation for being difficult just because they hope to prevent injury to themselves, or because they say that they feel happier in a different coaching environment.

rfisher

Let the skating begin
I hope that if Kostornaia wants to change coaches again after this, there is a good coach who will take her. Maybe she hurt her wrist horseback riding or something, but it definitely seems like she could have hurt herself falling on that triple axel that Gleichengauz said she could physically do she just didn’t mentally want it enough. An athlete should not gain a reputation for being difficult just because they hope to prevent injury to themselves, or because they say that they feel happier in a different coaching environment.
She hurt it off ice. I don't think it was skating related at all. People do injure themselves doing other things.

Mayra

She hurt it off ice. I don't think it was skating related at all. People do injure themselves doing other things.
Is this the official word? On sports.ru Kostornaia was quoted as saying she wasn't allowed to comment on the injury and the fed didn't appear to be giving any details( as per usual).

LoopCombo

Like I said, maybe she hurt it horseback riding or something. She said she couldn’t or wouldn’t talk about it.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Injuries happen, on or off the ice. If it happened on the ice, it is not that unusual. Ice is slippery. People fall down, while walking on a road (like I did last week, LOL). I don't see the point in bashing Alena's coaches for her injury. I hope she heals well and returns to the ice when she is ready. I look forward to seeing more beautiful skating from her.

soogar

Broken arms/wrists are common in this camp. Zagitova had a broken arm, didn't Scherbakova also break her arm while a junior, Kamila broke her leg a few years ago (someone confirm bc I read this and it seems to be supported by internet search but I'm sure people who follow here know for sure) , Trusova is injured, Daria injured and now Alyona. Alyona hasn't said how she injured herself but she had been very cautious with her triple axel and all of a sudden, she returns to Eteri and the camp is talking about how she is not pushing hard enough. This is not one injury. In isolation you can say that Trusova is headstrong in her attempts to land quads. But looking at this group as a whole, they are pushing these skaters to do do lots of reps for quads and triple axels and they are breaking. She hasn't confirmed where she got her injury, but with all the pressure and force on the body, I wouldn't be surprised if that exhaustion and maybe a little self sabotage manifested itself in another area of her life.

hanca

Values her privacy
It was working well for Medvedeva until ***** got her stuck overseas. She made it to Worlds and won bronze there while working with him.
That’s exactly my point. She had subpar season and won only bronze at worlds, although until she came to him, her worse result was silver at the Olympics and golds for a few years…

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
Making it to Worlds is no small feat for a Russian woman these days, and winning bronze is nothing to sneeze at, and when you consider that she was doing it all while dealing with injuries, an overseas move, and a coaching change, I think she did just fine.

marbri

Hey, Kool-Aid!
That’s exactly my point. She had subpar season and won only bronze at worlds, although until she came to him, her worse result was silver at the Olympics and golds for a few years…
In Orsers defense both these ladies came to him physically broken and they were training them with that in mind. How long did either's career last due to injuries when they each returned to Eteri?

eta... might not be accurate with why the one came to Orser but her body certainly gave out when she returned to Eteri.

hanca

Values her privacy
In Orsers defense both these ladies came to him physically broken and they were training them with that in mind. How long did either's career last due to injuries when they each returned to Eteri?
And yet as soon as Tursynbaeva left him, she learned quad and placed silver at worlds.

VGThuy

And who knows where she would have been without him. You really think she would have replicated those pre-2018-19 season results even with Eteri when there’s a track record of other skaters who couldn’t replicate their success with her prior to Med? She left for a reason, and was doing pretty well actually given the high competition before you know what happened. Then she returned “home” and well…she couldn’t compete at all and then retired due to chronic back injury.

She didn’t have the technique to sustain a long career and Orser had to work with that. Her jumps were always going to do her in once she grew and Orser did what he could and actually managed to salvage her career for a good bit longer.

Eteri for her part seems to learn from the past and every generation of skaters seems to have better technique than the last. Maybe next time she’ll learn a bit about not breaking her skaters.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
Unless there’s a miracle, I don’t expect to see Alena representing Russia in the future, unless it’s at Universiade or something like that. Even with retirements after this season, there are too many great now-juniors ready to win in the next quadrennial.

Last edited:

zigzig

this really blowz. I was hoping she'd shape up and be competitive again for an all turberidze team. hopefully trusova is back in form by nationals and can edge out liza.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
this really blowz. I was hoping she'd shape up and be competitive again for an all turberidze team. hopefully trusova is back in form by nationals and can edge out liza.
Any of Liza, Sasha or Maiia could end up on the Olympics team (besides Kamila & Anna).

suki

Oh swell. Another 4 years of sniping and backbiting with the Eteri coaching team.:scream:

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information