Italian figure skating news & updates

Andrea82

Rizzo needs to get the SP done at one point. At this rate, when he will finally nail the SP, he will mess the FS.

We head into Nationals with the following situation.

Euro race
(total score including the choreo sequence (short + free) of the Italian Championships + 2 highest total scores among those of the Italian Grand Prix races, FISG Calendar races, international competitions, ISU international competitions and ISU Events assigned by the Technical Commission)

Sum of 2 highest scoring international competitions (choreo sequence included)

Men
1) Grassl 516.18
2) Rizzo 506.31
3) Frangipani 438.65
4) Memola 414.68
5) Zich 372.57
6) Nalbone 355.53
7) Fadini 324.94
8) Indelicato 310.4
9) Barison 258.87
10) Renoldi 248.51

Pair
1) Della Monica/Guarise 367.36
2) Ghilardi/Ambrosini 348.87
3) Conti/Macii 321.6
4) Valesi/Piazza 265.18 (1 international + national event)
5) Caldara/Magli 243.03(1 international + national event)

World race
(total score including the choreo sequence (short + free) of the Italian Championships +3 highest total scores among those of the Italian Grand Prix races, FISG Calendar races, international competitions, ISU international competitions and ISU Events assigned by the CT - of which at least one must be obtained after the Italian Championships)

So the situation is the same as the Euro race but with 2 events to be added (Nationals + another event taking place after Nationals)

Olympics
July document said selection based on the ranking calculated at the end of the European Championships unless otherwise indicated by CONI (Olympic Committee) and ISU for the closing of registrations.
A recent interview with Ghilardi/Ambrosini seemed to suggest the names will be sent to CONI after Nationals...

General ranking
The ranking is calculated by adding the total score (short + free) of the Italian Championships with the three
highest total scores among Italian Grand Prix events, events in the FISG Calendar, international events,
ISU and ISU Event international competitions assigned by the CT. In the individual Senior category, the score of the choreo sequence is subtracted from the total score.
In the Senior pair s category, from the total score it is subtracted: the group 5 lift which obtained the lowest score (in the event that the couple has performed two lifts of group 5 and one of group 3 or 4) or the group 4 lift which obtained the lowest score (in the event that the couple performed one lift of group 5 and two of group 4) or the group 3 lift, if the couple has performed a group 5 lift, one of group 4 and one of group 3.

Sum of 3 highest scores so far this season. I used international events. Choreo sequences for Senior single and one lift for senior pairs eliminated. For those without 3 international events this season I used a national event or one international event from last season (factored by 0.9 as indicated in the rules)

Men
1) Grassl 747.7
2) Rizzo 732.54
3) Frangipani 612.24
4) Memola 605.11
5) Zich 527.2
6) Nalbone 517.93
7) Fadini 490.58 (one national event used)
8) Indelicato 438.53 (one score from last season used)
9) Barison 395.82 (one national event used)
10) Renoldi 385.91 (one national event used)

Pair
1) Della Monica/Guarise 522.78
2) Ghilardi/Ambrosini 491.02
3) Conti/Macii 457.41
4) Caldara/Magli 339.93
5) Valesi/Piazza 254.11 (only 2 events)

I don't think there are any other version of the ranking....the lift substractions in Pairs gave me a headache when checking all protocols.

I think all the variations point to the same picture for Men and Pairs. Men's general ranking using 3 events give a closer run between Frangipani and Memola because Frangipani has performed weakly in the last month after a decent start of the season. Also mixing international or national events don't change anything because Men and Pairs without a third (second for Pairs) international competitions this season are those with also lower scores in national competitions (hence, their fewer international assignments). A couple of them will have the third international competition with Santa Claus Cup and Golden Spin anyway.

Women race is more confusing apart Gutmann being in the lead because few girls competed internationally. It is not clear to me which national competititions were assigned by technical committee. Beccari has 1 international and 1 national competition, Piredda 2 national events, Negrello 1 national and 3 international events.

Last edited:

Andrea82

The situation for Women before Nationals is

Gutmann
Lombardia Trophy 166.98
Nebelhorn Trophy 164.60
GP Italy 158.37
National Championship Series - Stage II 186.9

Negrello
JGP Courchevel 130.02
Lombardia Trophy 140.93
Cup of Austria 147.85
Trento Cup 180.71

Beccari
GP Italy 148.29
National Championship Series - Stage II 159.29

Piredda
National Championship Series - Stage II 159.16
Trento Cup 174.42

Rodeghiero
Cup of Austria 114.49
National Championship Series - Stage I 117.5

Frankly, from whatever side I look at, I see Gutmann in the lead at the moment. Highest international scores. Highest score from local event.
I am not sure between Beccari and Negrello.
Negrello actually have 2 international scores to be used for the ranking. Beccari hasn't. Can she use the Stage II from National Championship Series? It wouldn't be fair to compare it to Challenger scores IMO. Can Negrello use the Trento score? If so, she would be back ahead of Beccari. However, in the internal ranking of competitions, Trento Cup is a lower level event compared to National Championship Series (I think they didn't even have 5 judges in Trento).

Last edited:

Andrea82

Andrea82

Update after Nationals

Euro race
(Nationals + 2 highest scoring 2021/22 international competitions)

Men (3 spots)

Grassl 790.76
Rizzo 769.29
Frangipani 655.33
Memola 612.31 * no partecipation to Senior Nationals, a third international competition is used as per rules
Zich 570.52
Fadini 508.85

Pairs (3 spots)

Della Monica/Guarise 563.25
Ghilardi/Ambrosini 529.69
Conti/Macii 490.96
Valesi/Piazza 400.15 * one national competition used as they only had 1 international outing
Caldara/Magli 367.29 * one national competition used as they only had 1 international outing

So Grassl, Rizzo and Frangipani, DM/G, G/A and C/M to Europeans.

Grassl, Rizzo, DM/G and G/A likely to Worlds (Nationals + 3 other highest scoring competitions with at least 1 being after Nationals) and Olympics as their current lead is so big.

Gutmann leads the Women race. I am not sure who would get the second Euro spot. It is Piredda or Negrello depending on which competition counts towards the race.

Ice Dance
Criteria: Nationals + Egna Dance Trophy + average of two other scores

Senior

Guignard/Fabbri and Moscheni/Fioretti to Euros as the only ones with minimums and not injured.

Junior

Average of 2 international competitionsNationals
Calderari/Cilli145,275 (JGP Kosice + Mezzaluna)149,91295,185
Tali/Frasca139,99 (Mezzaluna + NRW)149,64289,63
Kirichenko/Pellegrini130,345 (Mezzaluna + NRW)133,75264,095
Galimberti/Mandelli134,095 (JGP Russia + Volvo Cup)127,65261,745
Ventura/Bonetto110,64 (NRW + Mezzaluna)115,42226,06
Finelli/Pedesini102,575 (NRW+ Nice)116,41218,985

Sylvia

TBD
Saw tabloid-y headlines in English just now and found the original news source... Elly Mattiuzzo, an "18-year-old born in Milan had competed for the Hot Shivers and participated in the 2019 Junior World Championships" (Synchro) in Neuchâtel, Switzerland has died in a car crash along with with her fiance boyfriend, in San Marino :(:

Andrea82

Alessia Tornaghi's post today

It can be translated into

To all my friends and supporters ...
Since many are asking me ...
this season I decided, or rather I had to, take a step back from competitions, since I had some difficult health problems that maybe I will talk about later.
With the desire to tell me to help me and to be able to help.
Problems that are frequent and common in many girls and athletes.
I hope to be able to come back soon to do what I like. I thank all the people who are close to me despite the many difficulties in recent months, my coach @edoardodebernardis, @ice_club_torino and @federazione_sport_ghiaccio
I take this opportunity to wish my teammates good luck for the rest of this very important season. Cheering for you!

J

Jeschke

Memola at Santa Claus Cup outscores Frangipani at Nationals with an all-Italian panels.
Well, in the end Frangi still scored solidly more than Memola in 3 events, all that matters :p

And to me it seems a good thing, sending Memola to JW instead of throwing him into a senior championships.

Andrea82

Well, in the end Frangi still scored solidly more than Memola in 3 events, all that matters :p

And to me it seems a good thing, sending Memola to JW instead of throwing him into a senior championships.

yes, I still have Frangipani ahead by 12 points if we go with Nationals+2 international scores (which is the Euro race criteria). They should go by the ranking in Men. I can't see any reasons not to do so even if we are into the 30 points range, especially in the absence of an head to head. Frangi has more potential on paper (the quads) even if he is often messy.

The fact he skipped Senior Nationals and went to Santa Claus suggest to me a strategy towards Junior Worlds: WS points to get a final group in the SP skating order and getting more recognization by international judges.

Italy has 2 spots for Junior Worlds. Memola is safe for one. The second is between Zich and Nalbone.

Last edited:

Andrea82

No news yet for who is the second woman for European Championships.

Last Monday, in the round-up of Nationals in the main sport newspaper, they only mentioned that Gutmann and Ghilardi/Ambrosini will be in the Olympic team.

Men race after Golden Spin/Santa Claus is

1) Grassl 790.76
273.96 Nationals + 269 GP Italy + 247.8 Skate America
2) Rizzo 769.29
262.98 Nationals + 255.84 NHK + 250.47 Rostelecom
3) Frangipani 655.33
216.69 Nationals + 229.39 Nebelhorn + 209.25 Lombardia
4) Memola 643.03
228.35 Santa Claus Cup + 211.59 Warsaw + 203.09 Nice
5) Zich 572.66
197.95 Nationals +189.53 Warsaw + 185.18 Golden Spin
6) Fadini 540.78
183.91 Nationals + 179.13 Skate Celjie + 177.74 Golden Spin

The ranking is calculated by adding the total score including the choreo sequence (short + free) of the Italian Championships with:
  • 3 highest total scores among those of the Italian Grand Prix races, FISG Calendar races, international competitions, ISU international competitions and ISU Events assigned by the CT - for Junior and Senior World Championships of which at least one must be obtained after the Italian Championships

Italy may win the prize for the worst written selection rules this year.
The "Nationals + 3 highest scores, one of which must be obtained after Nationals" criteria makes perfect sense for Senior Worlds.
However, for Junior Worlds, it doesn't make much sense given they scheduled Junior Nationals for 11-13th February and deadline for nominations for Junior Worlds is 14th February....
It makes sense to schedule Junior Nationals that late as latest shape is taken into account in computing the ranking. However, the "one must be obtained after Nationals" part is not practicable anymore.

Here is the provisional ranking for Junior Men (2 spots) based on 3 highest international competitions this season (choreo sequence scored deducted for senior results)

1) Memola 631.7 (Santa Claus Cup + Warsaw Cup + Nice Trophy)
2) Zich 546.85 (Golden Spin, Cup of Austria, Warsaw Cup)
3) Nalbone 517.93 (JGP Gdansk + NRW Trophy + Open d'Andorra)
4) Barison 393.66 (Nice Trophy + Skate Celjie + Santa Claus Cup)
5) Renoldi 386.42 (JGP Gdansk+Skate Celjie+ Santa Claus Cup)
6) Indelicato 310.4 (JGP Linza + Nice Trophy* 2 competitions only so far)

Women
It will be Anna Pezzetta

Pair
Nobody has the minimum TES at this point

Ice Dance
See ranking after Nationals. All competitors are asked to compete at Egna Dance Trophy.

Last edited:

Andrea82

Italian Fed found the most intricate place to post her result
SP 59.8 (behind Gutmann, Pezzetta and Piredda)
FS 102.9 (behind Gutmann, Pezzetta, Piredda and Negrello)
Total 162.7 (behind Gutmann, Pezzetta and Piredda)

mt.png

However, I don't know if she had the same panel of Women given she skated after Men.
By some reports, she skated the FS in training gears without a proper costume.

In Ice Dance, Papetti/Dozzi scored 142.31, just behind Leccardi/ Della Torre (143.19): 55.08 RD + 87.23 FD.
Both are new teams, but L/DT are also new to ID unlike P/D.

Last edited:

Ka3sha

Maria Talalaikona got her official release and will be able to represent Italy starting from July, 2022

GoneWithTheWind

New video interview with Charlène and Marco (in English), with guest star Molly the chinchilla (who is seriously cute, it's worth a watch just for her antics! Sorry Charlène and Marco, you are of course worth watching too!)

A short summary:
  • they feel this season has gone well so far, and are sad the GPF was cancelled (but understand why it was necessary).
  • they would've been happy to compete in the GPF, even if it was held in April [interview was from before it was fully cancelled], but realise that not everyone would've felt the same.
  • they've used the extra time to make some changes to the RD, as they hadn't been getting all their levels and had received some helpful feedback from judges/tech panels at their competitions.
  • -they're looking forward to the Olys, but think it will be hard with reduced spectators. They really enjoyed the Sochi Olympics because they got to see the other sports and the weather was lovely; whereas in PyeongChang, they had much less spare time and it was really, really cold.
  • they're definitely planning to compete next season, but haven't decided yet how many more seasons they will compete. Although a home Olympics would be amazing, it's too far in the future for them to have as a main aim. While they are healthy, competitive and enjoying the sport, they will continue.
  • once they've finished competing, they would love to stay in the sport as coaches (they have some experience of this coaching young skaters).

Andrea82

On the new Beijing 2022 section of Italian Olympic Committe website, the names of the Olympic selection is confirmed

Daniel Grassl
Matteo Rizzo

Nicole Della Monica/Matteo Guarise
Rebecca Ghilardi/Filippo Ambrosini

Charlene Guignard/Marco Fabbri

Lara Naki Gutmann (Team Event)

Panja

New video interview with Charlène and Marco (in English), with guest star Molly the chinchilla (who is seriously cute, it's worth a watch just for her antics! Sorry Charlène and Marco, you are of course worth watching too!)

A short summary:
  • they feel this season has gone well so far, and are sad the GPF was cancelled (but understand why it was necessary).
  • they would've been happy to compete in the GPF, even if it was held in April [interview was from before it was fully cancelled], but realise that not everyone would've felt the same.
  • they've used the extra time to make some changes to the RD, as they hadn't been getting all their levels and had received some helpful feedback from judges/tech panels at their competitions.
  • -they're looking forward to the Olys, but think it will be hard with reduced spectators. They really enjoyed the Sochi Olympics because they got to see the other sports and the weather was lovely; whereas in PyeongChang, they had much less spare time and it was really, really cold.
  • they're definitely planning to compete next season, but haven't decided yet how many more seasons they will compete. Although a home Olympics would be amazing, it's too far in the future for them to have as a main aim. While they are healthy, competitive and enjoying the sport, they will continue.
  • once they've finished competing, they would love to stay in the sport as coaches (they have some experience of this coaching young skaters).
Great interview. They seem to be really nice people - love their handling of Molly too. So cute.

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
On the new Beijing 2022 section of Italian Olympic Committe website, the names of the Olympic selection is confirmed

Daniel Grassl
Matteo Rizzo

Nicole Della Monica/Matteo Guarise
Rebecca Ghilardi/Filippo Ambrosini

Charlene Guignard/Marco Fabbri

Lara Naki Gutmann (Team Event)

So does that mean Sweden is sending Josefin? Because if they weren’t than Italy send someone for the ladies singles event correct

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
So does that mean Sweden is sending Josefin? Because if they weren’t than Italy send someone for the ladies singles event correct
Nothing will be finalized until after Euros regarding Sweden's spots in both Women and Men. But, Italy has confirmed they will be participating in the Team Event and, as a result, they are able to send a Woman to participate in the TE as part of the additional athlete quota, which is why Gutmann has been named to the Olympic team. If Sweden declines to fill their Woman's spot then Italy, as the first stand-by nation, would have the spot and Gutmann would get to participate in more than just the TE.

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
Nothing will be finalized until after Euros regarding Sweden's spots in both Women and Men. But, Italy has confirmed they will be participating in the Team Event and, as a result, they are able to send a Woman to participate in the TE as part of the additional athlete quota, which is why Gutmann has been named to the Olympic team. If Sweden declines to fill their Woman's spot then Italy, as the first stand-by nation, would have the spot and Gutmann would get to participate in more than just the TE.

But if Sweden still declines to participate am I still allowed to compete in same-sex pairs? I mean, just wondering…

Andrea82

It has been a successful edition of Europeans for Italy. I see two negative spots:
a) Gutmann's SP because it is not the first time she issues with SP.
b) Moscheni/Fioretti. Lots of work is needed for a second ID couple. Unlike in the final years of Fusar Poli/Margaglio, Faiella/Scali, Cappellini/Lonotte, there is not a second couple ready in the Euro top 10 or just outside it. Judging from September scores, they were investing in Portesi Peroni/Chrastecky before her injury. Let's see when and how she comes back.

This week an international competition was held in Bergamo (IceLab International Cup).
Beccari had a decent SP but FS was full of UR and DG.
In Junior Men, Nalbone landed a fully rotated (according to the technical panel) 3A. I think it is the first he landed it in international competitons without an UR or DG called. However, still with negative GOEs.
One of the Junior Pairs (Montan/Clerici) got the minimums for Jr Worlds.

Last edited:

SLIVER

It has been a successful edition of Europeans for Italy. I see two negative spots:
a) Gutmann's SP because it is not the first time she issues with SP.
b) Moscheni/Fioretti. Lots of work is needed for a second ID couple. Unlike in the final years of Fusar Poli/Margaglio, Faiella/Scali, Cappellini/Lonotte, there is not a second couple ready in the Euro top 10 or just outside it. Judging from September scores, they were investing in Portesi Peroni/Chrastecky before her injury. Let's see when and how she comes back.

This week an international competition was held in Bergamo (IceLab International Cup).
Beccari had a decent SP but FS was full of UR and DG.
In Junior Men, Nalbone landed a fully rotated (according to the technical panel) 3A. I think it is the first he landed it in international competitons without an UR or DG called. However, still with negative GOEs.
One of the Junior Pairs (Montan/Clerici) got the minimums for Jr Worlds.
I really liked Portesi Peroni and her partner, I think they have a bright future. Moscheni Fioretti were never going to be strong, he had good results mainly due to Tessari.

Cherub721

YEAH!

What happened to Chiara Calderone's latest partnership?

olympic

Rizzo drops out from Euros too. On IG, he says that due to technical reasons of figure skating he is forced to withdraw...I don't have a clue on what happened.

Edit: confirmed in the ISU entry list that Memola is going now
Thank you. I was looking for information on Matteo and you provided it for me. It does not seem like he is sick or injured, so I assume he is going to the Olympics ...

For me, 'technical reasons sound like a boot issue'.

Andrea82

Thank you. I was looking for information on Matteo and you provided it for me. It does not seem like he is sick or injured, so I assume he is going to the Olympics ...

For me, 'technical reasons sound like a boot issue'.
Yes, it seems it was broken skates the day before the departure.

What happened to Chiara Calderone's latest partnership?

They were still together at the beginning of September. And then they seem to have disappeared. I don't know if it is injury or split.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information