2021/2022 Canadian Ladies: News and Updates

4rkidz

plotting, planning and travelling
Scary fall for Hana Watanabe she really whacked her head on the ice in the short tripping after her triple sal. Concussion protocol should have stopped her skating but they let her restart. Maddie in a class by herself although Gabby looked better than usual if she can do it clean she will be an contender but Maddie still better.

Last edited:

honey

Scary fall for Hana Watanabe she really whacked her head on the ice in the short tripping after her triple sal. Concussion protocol should have stopped her skating but they let her restart. Maddie in a class by herself although Gabby looked better than usual if she can do it clean she will be an contender but Maddie still better.
It was a really scary fall from Hana :(. I assume the concussion protocol was followed though? She went off the ice for quite a long period of time before coming back. I would think they were checking her per whatever protocols there are in place? I do have questions though about the whole thing as she was clearly still wobbly when she started again. And is now listed as WD for Friday. Hope she’s ok.

4rkidz

It was a really scary fall from Hana :(. I assume the concussion protocol was followed though? She went off the ice for quite a long period of time before coming back. I would think they were checking her per whatever protocols there are in place? I do have questions though about the whole thing as she was clearly still wobbly when she started again. And is now listed as WD for Friday. Hope she’s ok.
My daughter retired due to concussion from her sport and each time she hit her head or whiplashed it she had to leave the ice and be monitored. Hana was clearly not ok.

honey

My daughter retired due to concussion from her sport and each time she hit her head or whiplashed it she had to leave the ice and be monitored. Hana was clearly not ok.
I have lingering effects from a concussion many years ago that impact every aspect of my life to this day. It makes me so scared when I see something like what happened to Hana yesterday.

Part of my question is what exactly is the skate Canada concussion protocol? It seems they did something yesterday, but ultimately she was allowed to skate. Does anyone know what the actual protocols in place are?

haribobo

Why is summer so hot omg
Scores from Intl's and Sectionals (ONT, AB/NWT/NVT, Quebec, SK)
*BC Sectionals next week

SENIOR WOMEN
(scores over 130)

Madeline Schizas 197, 186 Intl
Kaiya Ruiter 179 Intl
Gabrielle Daleman 172, 146 Intl
Michelle Long 160
Emily Bausback 159 Intl
Veronik Mallet 152
Alison Schumacher 151 Intl
Catherine Carle 151
Lia Pereira 150
Amanda Tobin 150
Angel Green 145
Jennyfer Richer-Labelle 141
Katherine Medland Spence 140
Amelia Orzel 138
Camille Perreault 138
Alicia Pineault 136
Laurence Berube 135
Sara-Maude Dupuis 130
Alexandra Sarmiento Diaz 130
Madison Moore 130

*Skating at BC Sectionals- Leah Lee, Emily Millard, Amy Shao Ning Yang

JUNIOR WOMEN
(scores over 130)

Justine Miclette 164
Caitlyn Kukulowicz 154
Marie-Raphaele Savoie 151
Lulu Lin 147
Katherine Karon 144
Alexa Matveev 144
Audreanne Foster 142 JGP
Michelle Deng 142
Rose Theroux 140 (summer comp)
Julianne Lussier 140
Miriam Kleiman 140
Fiona Bombardier 138
Cristina Lyons 137
Stavrina Aranitis 134
Natasha Hewitt 133
Paulina Grant 132

* Skating at BC Sectionals- Emma Szeto, Emily and Ashley Sales, Melody Zhu

4rkidz

Scores from Intl's and Sectionals (ONT, AB/NWT/NVT, Quebec, SK)
*BC Sectionals next week

SENIOR WOMEN
(scores over 130)

Madeline Schizas 197, 186 Intl
Kaiya Ruiter 179 Intl
Gabrielle Daleman 172, 146 Intl
Michelle Long 160
Emily Bausback 159 Intl
Veronik Mallet 152
Alison Schumacher 151 Intl
Catherine Carle 151
Lia Pereira 150
Amanda Tobin 150
Angel Green 145
Jennyfer Richer-Labelle 141
Katherine Medland Spence 140
Amelia Orzel 138
Camille Perreault 138
Alicia Pineault 136
Laurence Berube 135
Sara-Maude Dupuis 130
Alexandra Sarmiento Diaz 130
Madison Moore 130

*Skating at BC Sectionals- Leah Lee, Emily Millard, Amy Shao Ning Yang

JUNIOR WOMEN
(scores over 130)

Justine Miclette 164
Caitlyn Kukulowicz 154
Marie-Raphaele Savoie 151
Lulu Lin 147
Katherine Karon 144
Alexa Matveev 144
Audreanne Foster 142 JGP
Michelle Deng 142
Rose Theroux 140 (summer comp)
Julianne Lussier 140
Miriam Kleiman 140
Fiona Bombardier 138
Cristina Lyons 137
Stavrina Aranitis 134
Natasha Hewitt 133
Paulina Grant 132

* Skating at BC Sectionals- Emma Szeto, Emily and Ashley Sales, Melody Zhu
I didnt think Kaiya skated as a senior yet?

haribobo

Why is summer so hot omg
She hasn't skated senior domestically YET to my recollection either, but that was the plan for this season. Seems a bit curious that she isn't being assigned to any senior internationals though, esp since she is age eligible for the Olympics.

Colonel Green

She hasn't skated senior domestically YET to my recollection either, but that was the plan for this season.
She did last season.
Seems a bit curious that she isn't being assigned to any senior internationals though, esp since she is age eligible for the Olympics.
As discussed earlier in this thread, there are evidently behind-the-scenes issues.

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
Scary fall for Hana Watanabe she really whacked her head on the ice in the short tripping after her triple sal. Concussion protocol should have stopped her skating but they let her restart. Maddie in a class by herself although Gabby looked better than usual if she can do it clean she will be an contender but Maddie still better. Think Natasha Richardson people!
Stupid people. Let's just see.......shall we stop the skating or let her risk her live out there when she has just had a head injury

People magazine:
Although her fall may have first appeared minor – she reportedly refused to be taken to the hospital at least twice – the head injury she suffered is a type that can turn fatal if not treated in time.

danafan

Canadian ladies über
It's been sad to watch our women skate this season frankly (apart from Schizas and Ruiter). It's hard to believe that Schumacher is the same skater who twice made top 10 at jr worlds (not an easy feat as the standard there is very high). I'm excited to see how Daleman does in Poland this week. I think she needs at least one good international showing to be considered for the Olympic team, even if she were to win nationals. Schizas is clearly the front runner still though.

I am of course interested to see who Skate Canada will send to the final challenger in Croatia. I'm still hoping for Tobin, lack of triple lutz be damned.

Sylvia

TBD
Rose Théroux finished 4th in her junior international debut in Graz, Austria this past week and got her Junior Worlds minimums (23/38): 140.91 total, 1st in SP (51.19/28.51 TES), 5th in FS (89.72/42.39).

In addition to Kaiya Ruiter (ETA: though her status is currently unknown for the rest of this season), the 5 others who competed on the JGP this season all have the Junior Worlds minimums: Catherine Carle, Sara-Maude Dupuis, Audreanne Foster, Justine Miclette, Lia Pereira.

Last edited:

Marco

After Cup of Austria, I really cannot see Alison or Emily being seriously considered for the Olympics. It's Madeline's to lose, with only Gabrielle as a challenger at this point.
Is Kaiya injured? There has been no news on her since her earlier JGP successes. SkCan hasn't sent her to senior internationals and now she isn't at her sectionals.

Colonel Green

Is Kaiya injured? There has been no news on her since her earlier JGP successes. SkCan hasn't sent her to senior internationals and now she isn't at her sectionals.
We don’t know the details (nor do we need to), but there’s some sort of behind-the-scenes issue per a source earlier in this thread.

4rkidz

Decent short for Gabby at the Warsaw cup! She stood up on everything but some messy landings. Completed her triple toe triple toe and a messy but landed triple lutz, her program components excellent as usual. She doesn’t really have the technical now to compete with the top as it hasn’t improved the last five years but great to see her back happy and still a very talented and beautiful skater. 61.57

screech

Good for Gabby. You could tell she was very happy with herself, as she should be, this was a big win and likely a huge confidence boost going into the long.

A technically clean Gabby still doesn't quite compare anymore, though. At SCI Madeline doubled part of her combo, and still scored higher than Gabby did here (with slightly higher PCS too).

But if Gabby does well in the FP, she'll definitely have a lot more confidence heading into Canadians, which could make things interesting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information