Which Non-Russian Lady has the best chance of stopping a Russian Ladies Sweep in the 2022 Olympics?

Which Non-Russian lady has the best chance of stopping a Russian ladies sweep in the 2022 Olympics?

• Alysa Liu

Votes: 45 31.5%
  • Rika Kihira

Votes: 34 23.8%
  • Kaori Sakamoto

Votes: 36 25.2%
  • Bradie Tennell

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Karen Chen

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • A Korean lady

Votes: 6 4.2%
  • Other

Votes: 20 14.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Granted we don't know the Olympic teams yet, but I assume that the Russian ladies will be expected to sweep the podium. Usually there is no sweep of podiums in the Olympics. So I am guessing that at least one podium spot will go to a non-Russian lady. It could be any spot- Gold/Silver/Bronze.

Who has the best shot at one of the podium spots?

Will there be two non-Russian ladies on the podium? It seems improbable but strange things happen at the Olympics.

For this poll, please pick just one.

olympic

Cautiously stated, Alysa Liu - At this juncture, she is a nose ahead of the JPN ladies although we didn't see Rika Kihira. The KOR ladies like Young You are underperforming to date, and she is easily beating other US ladies.

Alysa probably could also beat Louena Hendrickx who is most likely to be 4th at Euros, and CAN lady whose name escapes me is talented but still developing.

Tursy retired.

I think it's Alysa ...

Last edited:

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
I have not watched Rika in a long time. Would like to see how she performs in a competition. Couple years ago she seemed to be the one to beat, outside of Russia.

Alysa has a 3A, a quad lutz, and she has developed artistically. So right now she seems ahead of everyone (to challenge the Russian ladies).

Last edited:

AngieNikodinovLove

Frangi & Piazza & Paul & Hektor & Theo. Oh My! 😝
Rika leads the poll? She’s had a bit of a meltdown in the last year or so. She’s kind of slipped from my radar but we shall wait and see

alj5

I think Rika has the best chance if everyone skates relatively well, and she was my vote.
But I can't count out Alysa with a reliable 3A and/or quad.

Super clean Kaori, Loena, or a Korean lady (Young or Eunsoo in particular) could be spoilers.

Sadly, I think Bradie, Karen, and JPN #3 are unlikely to present much of a medal challenge without perfection on their part and problems on the part of multiple others.

caseyedwards

The gut says a Japanese lady! Isn’t it just a fact no top American ever has gotten PCs as good as the top Japanese? That is my feeling of what is right! I would love a confirmation. Even if Liu does have jumps that can negate good PCs of Japanese top lady it’s a fact quads have been banned in sps! So liu needs PCs points

Karen-W

Checking Senior Bs for TES mins...
The gut says a Japanese lady! Isn’t it just a fact no top American ever has gotten PCs as good as the top Japanese? That is my feeling of what is right! I would love a confirmation. Even if Liu does have jumps that can negate good PCs of Japanese top lady it’s a fact quads have been banned in sps! So liu needs PCs points
The Japanese ladies have all shown themselves to be really nervy at major competitions like the Olympics and Worlds in this quad. That's why my vote went to Alysa. She has been, IMO, the most steady of the options listed and certainly far steadier in competition than Rika, Kaori and the Korean ladies.

PeterG

Alysa Liu has zero experience competing at the senior level (with the US Nationals as the exception). Karen Chen has been to Worlds twice. Each time she finished in fourth place. That's about as close to medalling as you can get. It seems Chen seems to deliver when the pressure is at it's most high.

Kaori Sakamoto is a close-second to Worlds experience. Two trips to Worlds, finishing fifth and sixth. Seems like she delivers when the pressure is on as well. This is what's needed at any Olympics...especially when the Russian phenoms/jumping beans are up against better skaters at their own nationals compared to the much lesser talents they can snicker to one another about when at the Olympics.
:EVILLE:

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Alysa Liu has zero experience competing at the senior level (with the US Nationals as the exception). Karen Chen has been to Worlds twice. Each time she finished in fourth place. That's about as close to medalling as you can get. It seems Chen seems to deliver when the pressure is at it's most high.

Kaori Sakamoto is a close-second to Worlds experience. Two trips to Worlds, finishing fifth and sixth. Seems like she delivers when the pressure is on as well. This is what's needed at any Olympics...especially when the Russian phenoms/jumping beans are up against better skaters at their own nationals compared to the much lesser talents they can snicker to one another about when at the Olympics.
:EVILLE:
By Feb 2022 Alysa will have senior level experience and she usually responds well to pressure. TheRussian phenoms compete against not just one another. They have beaten others at international competitions. They swept the worlds last season.

You are right about the Olympic pressure though. They Will have more pressure than anyone else. Usually at the Olympics the underdogs are at an advantage. I would not write off the Russian ladies though. They are not just "jumping beans". They are fighters and they do have artistic ability. Each has her own style. The pressure at the Russian nationals would be just a notch below the Olympic pressure. Those who make the team will have proven themselves.

Last edited:

AngieNikodinovLove

If you ask me Alysa already has senior experience having attended both Lombardia and NT and hence winning the gold at both

The Russian woman who fell on her triple axel in the short program today has no senior experience and she’s predicted to win the gold at the Olympics

AngieNikodinovLove

So since August September and October Alysa has been to three senior events winning three gold medals. Then she has two more senior Grand Prix events coming up, maybe even a Grand Prix final, maybe even four continents championships. Homegirl will have more mileage under her belt then Miss Dorothy Hamill did lol

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
So since August September and October Alysa has been to three senior events winning three gold medals. Then she has two more senior Grand Prix events coming up, maybe even a Grand Prix final, maybe even four continents championships. Homegirl will have more mileage under her belt then Miss Dorothy Hamill did lol
Also same as Alina Zagitova. The skater with the least experience and the least pressure usually wins OGM. That does not apply to Amber. She is way behind. May not even make the team but Alysa is a lock and she has the jumps to beat anyone. I don't see Trusova land five quads under Olympic pressure (though I want her to).

Last edited:

Karen-W

None of the US Olympic team members will be competing at 4CCs in January. That's been stated in the USFS' 4CCs selection criteria document.

Karen-W

Also same as Alina Zagitova. The skater with the least experience and the least pressure usually wins OGM. That does not apply to Amber. She is way behind. May not even make the team but Alysa is a lock and she has the jumps to beat anyone. I don't see Trusova land five quads under Olympuc pressure (though I want her to).
I don't see Trusova withstanding the pressure either. I think she has enough TES to make the Olympic team but she won't hit both programs. Same goes for Valieva. At this point, I really think the Russian Olympic women's team will be the same ones who were on their 2021 Worlds team.

But, I also think Shcherbakova has a killer competitive spirit and she's going to be very hard to beat for the OGM.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
I don't see Trusova withstanding the pressure either. I think she has enough TES to make the Olympic team but she won't hit both programs. Same goes for Valieva. At this point, I really think the Russian Olympic women's team will be the same ones who were on their 2021 Worlds team.

But, I also think Shcherbakova has a killer competitive spirit and she's going to be very hard to beat for the OGM.
Agree about Anna. I don't agree that the Oly team will be the same as the one you mentioned. A lot can happen between now and Feb.

Valieva is the right age for OGM (like Liu) but she has already shown nerves. I don't take it for granted that she will be on the Olympic team. I don't take Trusova granted either, but if she makes the team, she may have a chance to win it all. I still trust Anna more than any other Russian lady to handle the pressure. She needs to be healthy enough to land three quads though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information